Cell Biology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nebraska1husker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all I know this doesn't go here but I needs answers fast!

How hards cell biology if we've only taken basic biology and an organic chem course? Honest answers would be appreciated, thx. peeps

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the textbook you use, the instructor you have, and many other factors like which topics you'll cover out of the whole book, etc. Theres really no point in asking such overly-general questions because you will only get overly-general answers.

el.harpo said:
It depends on the textbook you use, the instructor you have, and many other factors like which topics you'll cover out of the whole book, etc. Theres really no point in asking such overly-general questions because you will only get overly-general answers.

So whut's the next class after basic bio then?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nebraska1husker said:
So whut's the next class after basic bio then?

Again, it's a general question and it depends totally on your university or college. It's called basic bio because it allows you to take any of the next level of classes that your school offers. At my school, basic bio allows one to take Microbiology, Cell Biology, Anatomy and Physiology, etc. And after you have basic bio + one of the higher level classes (including the ones mentioned above) you can move on to Genetics, then Biochem, then Physiology, Evolution, Immunology, etc. Check the pre-reqs at your school if you want more specific information.

Nebraska1husker said:
Hi all I know this doesn't go here but I needs answers fast!

How hards cell biology if we've only taken basic biology and an organic chem course? Honest answers would be appreciated, thx. peeps

Honest answer: Open the book and put effort into it.
Learn a lesson my friend, never ask how hard a class is. You limit yourself that way because youll never know if you would have loved it or not. Besides, what do you gain taking the "easy" road through college/university?

It's not that bad. I've taken a lot of Bio classes and I found it to be easier than Physiology, Genetics, or Biochemistry. That being said, it's no cakewalk. But if you put in the effort (like you should with just about any other class), you'll be fine.

Also, if you're thinking of taking just one upper level Science course in preparation for the MCAT, I'd highly suggest Genetics/Molecular Biology over Cell Bio.

SensesFail said:
It's not that bad. I've taken a lot of Bio classes and I found it to be easier than Physiology, Genetics, or Biochemistry. That being said, it's no cakewalk. But if you put in the effort (like you should with just about any other class), you'll be fine.

Also, if you're thinking of taking just one upper level Science course in lieu of the MCAT, I'd highly suggest Genetics/Molecular Biology over Cell Bio.

do if U could take microbio. or cell biology is one harder than the other?

Well, my cell bio prof had a very heavy accent and talked about his sperm research all of the time which was quite amusing.....it was OK but it all depends on you prof!! Cell bio was actually the first bio class I ever took at college and I did OK. If you take it, try using a Kaplan Comprehensive MCAT Review book to help you understand and if your textbook comes with a CD-ROM definitely use that too. It really helps to see animation in cell bio. Maybe you can talk to other students to find out how the prof is or go to ratemyprofessors.com and check it out.

I thought micro was awesome--the lab was a lot of fun and the material was interesting. But then again, it depends on the prof b/c our prof was really hard and the tests sucked. If the classes come in 2 levels, maybe you could try taking the lower level one--exams probably easier/easier profs.

JKDMed said:
A high GPA and an acceptance to medical school?

Thats partly true. However, I think medical schools can tell from a transcript if someone took a direct hard route through school and get a good gpa versus someone who danced around alot through school to get easy profs/classes. They've seen thousands of students, and we're no different.

Take cell biology then take physiology the quarter or semester before you take the MCATs. It'll be fresh in your brain. It's NOT bad but it all depends on your professor as everyone has noted.

It really depends on how your instructor teaches the course, the textbook you use, and what pre-reqs the course requires. At my univ. biochem is a pre-req to cell bio. This is because the textbook that is used involves a good portion of biochem. On the other hand, my microbio course only has gen bio as a pre-req. The problem with this class is that the textbook used and the instructor expect you to have taken genetics & biochem, and no matter how hard one would study they would still not really understand the material that well without those courses.

Can anyone reccomend a good review book to go along with my Brock Biology of Microorganisms book? I'm taking cell biology to complete my biochem major and became a big fan of review books after using EK to help in some parts of my biology class. Thanks.