cGPA 3.2, sGPA 3.8, MCAT 33P - Non-Trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfca

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I probably need to go running more often to get the nerves down, but I'm a little concerned that my undergrad basically shot me in the foot. I did a Music degree and some grad work before leaving to work for 3 years. Then became intensely interested in medicine and completed a post-bacc with a 3.98 overall GPA. Here are the details:

- cGPA 3.2 undergrad, 3.44 grad
- MCAT Phys 10, Bio 11, Verbal 12, Writing P
- 100 hours of volunteering clinically
- About 25 hours of physician shadowing (geriatrics, rads, peds, internal med); most of this was after interviews but I sent in updated info including a couple of med books I've read or have been reading
- worked for 3 years in Energy sector with lots of leadership and professional experience
- president of frat in undergrad
- 6 LORs - former boss of energy job, O Chem prof, Gen Chem prof, geriatrician shadowed (whom I've known for a few years), Bio prof, former Music prof
- some tutoring for MCAT and O Chem, but nothing official
- resident of South Carolina
- Caucasian male

So far I've received 2 interviews (both on holds now) and 3 rejections. I'm worried I included too many far reach schools since the two holds were considered my safety schools. Everyone I talked to kept reassuring me my undergrad GPA wouldn't be looked at so hard since I clearly got my act together after leaving school for 3 years and coming back. I'm also concerned clinical experience isn't where it should be. Much appreciated for any thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

I foolishly didn't apply to DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah okay, you must've accidentally marked DO in the title.

It's hard to say whatll happen, cause the gpa is low but the mcat and life experience are high. Hope for the best on your two holds. If you don't get in, volunteer clinically over the next year and reapply in state and to DOs and you'll get an acceptance.

I did a Music degree....

- cGPA 3.2 undergrad, 3.44 grad

Aside from your personal opinion, does any KNOW if majors are RANKED in terms of difficulty??? (I also did a music degree and have a 3.3 cgpa and a 3.8 sgpa.) Things aren't always what they seem.

Aside from your personal opinion, does any KNOW if majors are RANKED in terms of difficulty??? (I also did a music degree and have a 3.3 cgpa and a 3.8 sgpa.) Things aren't always what they seem.

Major is irrelevant. Lot of statistics to back this up. Music majors actually have the highest acceptance rate.