cGPA 3.34 sGPA 3.2 MCAT 21, Any chance at Caribbean (SGU)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caz2061165

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, here are my stats:
cGPA 3.34
sGPA 3.2
MCAT 21

EC's= ER scribe 3 years, Fitness coach for the elderly with various types of health issues, shadowed a vascular surgeon who attended SGU and wrote me an outstanding LOR, +2 LOR's from Ochem and Bio teacher. various volunteer work.

I know my MCAT is crap and wouldn't have a shot at DO with that, so is my only option Caribbean?

What is my chance of acceptance at SGU without a retake?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, here are my stats:
cGPA 3.34
sGPA 3.2
MCAT 21

EC's= ER scribe 3 years, Fitness coach for the elderly with various types of health issues, shadowed a vascular surgeon who attended SGU and wrote me an outstanding LOR, +2 LOR's from Ochem and Bio teacher. various volunteer work.

I know my MCAT is crap and wouldn't have a shot at DO with that, so is my only option Caribbean?

What is my chance of acceptance at SGU without a retake?

You will be infinitely better off with a retake.

Was this your first time taking the MCAT? How did you prepare? I believe that if you can pull off at least a 26 or above on your next retake, you'll stand a chance at DO schools.

Search the forums for "Caribbean". You'll get dozens of threads about the big cons of going to school in the islands. Bottom line is, you want to maximize your chances of getting a US residency, because I assume you want to practice in the States. The Caribbean is no longer a viable option for most people, perhaps only for the top-ranked students who do excellent on boards. Your vascular surgeon went at a good time where the residency crunch wasn't as much of an issue. Judging by your MCAT score (again, I don't know your circumstances, so please take this with a grain of salt), you don't exactly inspire confidence that you'd score very well on the boards. If that IS the case, SGU would drop you like its hot and you're suddenly drowning in six figure debt with no MD.

Play the game. Assess why you only scored a 21. Study with purpose. Get a decent enough MCAT score. Go to school in the US, DO or MD. Don't even think about the shortcuts.

If the MCAT doesn't work out for you, you can consider another health profession like podiatry , which a 21 is okay for, or just go Caribbean if you desire. But you have been warned. Good luck!