DO cGPA 3.36, sGPA 3.04, 515

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharpei1971

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Without grade replacements, my sGPA fell to 3.04. After this summer, my sGPA will be up to 3.24. Should I wait to apply until after summer grades post or apply now and do grade updates on September 1st?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is your cGPA? Do you have any shadowing or clinical volunteering hours? Where is your state of residence?

cGPA is currently 3.36 and it will only improve to 3.4 after summer. I have about 1,600-1,800 hours of clinical work (I worked as a clinical psychotherapist for immigrants and as an ophthalmology scribe). I am from Minnesota.

You would be better off to apply September 1st with the higher GPA. You would then be competitive for all DO schools so apply to at least 10 and you should receive several interviews. You could also try some MD schools such as Minnesota, Medical College Wisconsin, Rosalind Franklin, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Creighton, Quinnipiac, NYMC, GW, Drexel, Temple, Jefferson.

Without grade replacements, my sGPA fell to 3.04. After this summer, my sGPA will be up to 3.24. Should I wait to apply until after summer grades post or apply now and do grade updates on September 1st?
Your sGPA is lethal for MD schools and tons of DO schools inclduing mine.

Apply next year. Strongly suggest a DIY post-bac or SMP.

Your sGPA is lethal for MD schools and tons of DO schools inclduing mine.

Apply next year. Strongly suggest a DIY post-bac or SMP.

Just to clarify, even a 3.24 is too low? I have already done several post-bac courses with 36 credits at about a 3.7.

I know KCU has a pre-screen set at 3.25 (both cGPA and sGPA.) It's the highest pre-screen I have seen floating around on SDN.

It might be worth a call to the admissions' offices of your top 5 schools; see what they think!

That being said, if you apply with a 3.36 cGPA and a 3.24sGPA coupled with that killer MCAT (props), I think you will definitely receive interviews as long as there aren't any glaring red flags on your application.

TL;DR: call your top 5 DO school admissions' offices. They realize the new retake policy is rocking peoples' worlds right now and I'd imagine they are fielding lots of questions like yours. Ask them what you should do.

Good luck!

Just to clarify, even a 3.24 is too low? I have already done several post-bac courses with 36 credits at about a 3.7.
It would have been helpful if you had mentioned that in your OP. It's not about the cGPA, but you last years' worth of performance.

So now, Faha's list makes perfect sense. Add Case, Albany, U Miami, Wake, EVMS, Mayo, BU, Dartmouth, Tufts, Pitt and Duke to the mix.