cGPA: 3.40 sGPA :3.70 Non-Traditional

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IT Doc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I will graduate this fall with a Bachelors in Information Technology. My cGPA will be a 3.40 and my sGPA will be a 3.70. I also got a 30 on the MCAT.

My goal is University of Miami, Miller school of medicine. Do you think I have a shot at being accepted? I am a Florida resident and I am open to any advice that you may give.

Thank you very much.

IT Doc :hello:

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats are in the neighborhood. Hopefully you've applied and completed your secondary by now. If your non-trad experiences are deemed valuable, you might meet your goal. GL!

Hello,

I will graduate this fall with a Bachelors in Information Technology. My cGPA will be a 3.40 and my sGPA will be a 3.70. I also got a 30 on the MCAT.

My goal is University of Miami, Miller school of medicine. Do you think I have a shot at being accepted? I am a Florida resident and I am open to any advice that you may give.

Thank you very much.

IT Doc :hello:
The average matriculant at Miami last year had a 3.71/3.68/32.1. Your cGPA and MCAT score (assuming balanced subscores) are both above the bottom tenth percentile for those accepted, and it helps that your BCPM is really good. If you have terrific ECs, that may tip the decision in your favor, but still, you'd be wise to apply broadly, including, perhaps, a few DO schools.

Overall chances for those with 3.4/30 in the past have been 42% for getting an MD acceptance. Data does not exist to correct for the BCPM, but your chance should be higher than I've cited.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have worked at a hospital as a transporter for about a year and if need be I will take a gap year to volunteer at local areas in the community, and try to find a doctor that will let me shadow them. Do you think this will help me out with my goal?

Good ECs are well known to trump lower numbers. Besides more clinical experience, shadowing, and nonmedical community service, look into a research experience, teaching, and leadership. These are all activities that adcomms look for that benefit your application. Not all are essential, but the better balanced applications get a more thorough look-over. Applications with little substance, visit the "hold" or "rejected" file sooner.

Read through posts in this forum and see what others are doing.