MD & DO cGPA 3.50 sGPA 3.62 MCAT 29

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HappyFeet14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a white male (age 23) applying to both DO and MD schools. I am a CA resident (but parents live in OH). I lived in Las Vegas for 4 years and went to school at UNLV. I recently transfered to San Jose State University in CA to finish my degree (I have been there for a year now).

I would like a kind soul(s) to comment on my competitiveness as a whole, and any direct areas of improvement (I am very aware of my MCAT score). I would also like criticism on my school list, and suggestions of other schools.

MCAT 29 12/7/10 (verbal was obviously my weak point - I will most likely retake if I do not get in somewhere this application cycle)
cGPA 3.50 and sGPA 3.62 - I've have a serious upward trend from my freshman semesters (4.0 for the last 5 semesters).

San Jose State University
Major: Biological science with conc. in Systems Physiology
Minor: Chemistry

ECs:
-Undergrad Teaching Assistant for Biology labs (3 semesters)
-Emergency Department Research Assistant (clinical research) at UMC Hospital in Las Vegas (150+ hours)
-Various medical events through the research program I was affiliated with: attended American Academy of Emergency Medicine Conference, participant in a Wilderness Medicine event with residents, CPR certification training/teaching.
-Physician Shadowing (about 40 hours): ER trauma, Podiatry surgery, Ophthalmology, General Surgery
-Officer for Chemistry Club UNLV (1.5 years); met and coordinated events with local American Chemical Society council.
-About 100+ hours of non-clinical volunteer work through Chemistry Club - shelters, food drives, environmental clean ups, etc.
-OR/Recovery (PACU) room Volunteer (clinical volunteering) at local hospital in San Jose, CA (75+ hours - I am currently still volunteering in this program, and will do so until I matriculate into medical school).
-Hobbies include music and guitar

EDIT (More EC stuff):
-Worked for Lowes INC. for 3 years throughout my undergrad. Quit a semester before I moved to CA
-Worked as an office assistant at SJSU for fall 2013 semester
-Private tutor for Gen bio/Gen chem for 2 years

**The research assistant/OR volunteer positions have direct patient, physician, and nurse contact. I have experienced a great deal of diversity in medicine due to the rural areas of San Jose and Las Vegas.

LORs - I currently have letters from:
-Chemistry Professor
-Biostatistics Professor
-Nutrition Professor
-PI/Clinician/RN in charge of the ED research group I was in
-MD who was also in charge of ED research group
-Volunteer coordinator/director for current volunteer position in OR/PACU
-Previous employer

MY SCHOOL LIST:

West Coast:
Touro CA-COM
Western CA-COM
Western OR-COM
Oregon H&S University-SOM

Midwest:
Northeast Ohio Medical University
University of Toledo-SOM
University of Cincinnati-SOM
Ohio University-COM
Wright State University-SOM
Marian University-COM
Indiana University-SOM
University of Kentucky-SOM
University of Louisville-SOM

New York/East Coast:
Albany Medical College
New York Medical College
State University of New York Upstate
Stoney Brook University-SOM
Touro NY-COM
New York Institute of Technology-COM
**Look at schools in Pennsylvania and West Virginia as well

Reach Schools I will be applying to, but am not expecting:
UC Davis-SOM
UC Irvine-SOM
Case Western Reserve-SOM
Ohio State University-SOM
Maybe University of Washington-SOM

My main focus is to get into DO/lower-tier MD schools.

All comments and advice is welcome!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Would love some feedback :)

I don't think you're getting much feedback because there isn't a whole lot on which to comment. I think you understand the weaknesses of your application. On the whole, it is well rounded. Your GPA isn't strong, but it is acceptable, and likewise for your MCAT. If you have money to spare, I don't think it would hurt you to add some more private schools with high OOS acceptance rates, unless you'd prefer to attend the DO schools you've already listed.

Also, though I'm not too familiar with the schools, I know that public schools tend to have a strong in-state preference, so unless you have ties to Kentucky, I might switch both Louisville and Kentucky to your reach list.

I don't think you're getting much feedback because there isn't a whole lot on which to comment. I think you understand the weaknesses of your application. On the whole, it is well rounded. Your GPA isn't strong, but it is acceptable, and likewise for your MCAT. If you have money to spare, I don't think it would hurt you to add some more private schools with high OOS acceptance rates, unless you'd prefer to attend the DO schools you've already listed.

Also, though I'm not too familiar with the schools, I know that public schools tend to have a strong in-state preference, so unless you have ties to Kentucky, I might switch both Louisville and Kentucky to your reach list.

I think that Louisville and Kentucky both have higher OOS acceptance rates than a couple of the schools on my list. According to MSAR they have about 25% OOS acceptance, where schools like Wright State is about 10% OOS acceptance. Would it be advised to avoid such schools with low OOS acceptance all together? For schools like Wright State, would there be bias because my parents are residents of OH?

I think that Louisville and Kentucky both have higher OOS acceptance rates than a couple of the schools on my list. According to MSAR they have about 25% OOS acceptance, where schools like Wright State is about 10% OOS acceptance. Would it be advised to avoid such schools with low OOS acceptance all together? For schools like Wright State, would there be bias because my parents are residents of OH?

The OOS acceptance may be a tad higher than other schools, but even in those cases, the OOS students usually have 'strong ties' to the state. For a personal example, I applied to Louisville and was rejected without interview, and you can see my stats in my MDApps. I don't think you stand zero chance at the Kentucky schools (and I'd probably include Indiana here as well), but I think you have a better chance at private schools. I think Wright State is a good choice to which to apply, especially if you grew up in Ohio. That is something that would be considered a strong tie. Family in the state is another tie.

The OOS acceptance may be a tad higher than other schools, but even in those cases, the OOS students usually have 'strong ties' to the state. For a personal example, I applied to Louisville and was rejected without interview, and you can see my stats in my MDApps. I don't think you stand zero chance at the Kentucky schools (and I'd probably include Indiana here as well), but I think you have a better chance at private schools. I think Wright State is a good choice to which to apply, especially if you grew up in Ohio. That is something that would be considered a strong tie. Family in the state is another tie.

I will definitely keep that in mind! Thank you for the advice.

I would love for others to chime in :) Perhaps @Goro :bow:

goro's list (NOTE: You're fine for any DO program).

Touro CA-COM
Western CA-COM
Western OR-COM

Midwest:
University of Toledo-SOM
Ohio University-COM
Marian University-COM
Albany Medical College
New York Medical College
Touro NY-COM
Penn State Drexel, Jefferson, TCMC, and Temple
The new MD schools in MI and VA.

goro's list (NOTE: You're fine for any DO program).

Touro CA-COM
Western CA-COM
Western OR-COM

Midwest:
University of Toledo-SOM
Ohio University-COM
Marian University-COM
Albany Medical College
New York Medical College
Touro NY-COM
Penn State Drexel, Jefferson, TCMC, and Temple
The new MD schools in MI and VA.

Do you find it wise for me to just apply to the DO/low-tier MD schools I was planning on applying to this cycle, despite my MCAT score (especially the 7 in verbal)? Or would it be best for me to try and retake before I apply?
It would be difficult for me to find time to consistently study until the school semester is over. To retake the MCAT and preform much better I would like to re-study at least a month or two and I wouldn't get my application out until
mid-July most likely.

Are my ECs acceptable, as well as my GPA? I am afraid of being lost in the "average" during the application process.
I forgot to mention on my ECs that I have also been a private tutor for Chem/Bio for the past 2 years as I have kept my grades at a 4.0 for that time.

A 7 VR tends to be the floor for many schools. Sometimes you have to tale a crack at an app cycle with your app as is, warts and all. I say, go for it. If you wait for the MCAT retake, keep in mind that the MD app cycle is perilously short.

Better to apply as is, take the MCAT when ready and update schools when your score comes in. You're fine as is for any DO program.

Do you find it wise for me to just apply to the DO/low-tier MD schools I was planning on applying to this cycle, despite my MCAT score (especially the 7 in verbal)? Or would it be best for me to try and retake before I apply?
It would be difficult for me to find time to consistently study until the school semester is over. To retake the MCAT and preform much better I would like to re-study at least a month or two and I wouldn't get my application out until
mid-July most likely.

Are my ECs acceptable, as well as my GPA? I am afraid of being lost in the "average" during the application process.
I forgot to mention on my ECs that I have also been a private tutor for Chem/Bio for the past 2 years as I have kept my grades at a 4.0 for that time.

A 7 VR tends to be the floor for many schools. Sometimes you have to tale a crack at an app cycle with your app as is, warts and all. I say, go for it. If you wait for the MCAT retake, keep in mind that the MD app cycle is perilously short.

Better to apply as is, take the MCAT when ready and update schools when your score comes in. You're fine as is for any DO program.

My only concern then is having too many blemishes on my application. My hope is to not need to take the MCAT again and get in somewhere this cycle on my DO saturated school list. Thank you for all the helpful advice!

Do you think it wise for me to submit my application in June and then indicate that I have a new MCAT score in progress? I am concerned about the timing of receiving my new score. I would not be able to take the until July-ish. I cannot afford to study again while mid-semester. I am not saying that it really contributed to my previous performance, but studying for this MCAT was not exactly optimal as I was doing so under a full coarse load and moved to a new place to live in the process. Most likely I would retake the July 12 test date so I have about 9 weeks to re-study after the school semester ends. My new score would therefore not be released until around Aug 22, and that seems way too late for MD programs to receive application updates. I basically feel that I would be retaking to be a competitive applicant for MD, while my DO candidacy is fine.

The schools that I am heavily considering applying to are DO, in-state MD (reach), and OOS MD schools around the greater OH area where my parents and siblings attend college (in fact I'm applying to a medical school where my sister is doing her undergrad).

I suggest submitting and them updating them as soon as you get your score. They're not going to put it in a magic pile waiting for the new score.

Take the MCAT only when you are fully ready for it.

Do you think it wise for me to submit my application in June and then indicate that I have a new MCAT score in progress? I am concerned about the timing of receiving my new score. I would not be able to take the until July-ish. I cannot afford to study again while mid-semester. I am not saying that it really contributed to my previous performance, but studying for this MCAT was not exactly optimal as I was doing so under a full coarse load and moved to a new place to live in the process.

I concur, and that's why I suggest takintg a crack at the cycle, warts and all.

Most likely I would retake the July 12 test date so I have about 9 weeks to re-study after the school semester ends. My new score would therefore not be released until around Aug 22, and that seems way too late for MD programs to receive application updates.

The key unknown is wil you be competitive for those MD schools with your 7VR. Typically, an 8-9 VR is in the 10th percentile for most schools.

The schools that I am heavily considering applying to are DO, in-state MD (reach), and OOS MD schools around the greater OH area where my parents and siblings attend college (in fact I'm applying to a medical school where my sister is doing her undergrad).[/QUOTE]

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest submitting and them updating them as soon as you get your score. They're not going to put it in a magic pile waiting for the new score.

Take the MCAT only when you are fully ready for it.

For whatever reason, I thought that schools would not review your application until the new score was received and then consider candidacy after. Now that I think about that though, with the vast amount of applicants why would schools give an applicant the benefit of the doubt. So schools may review my application and send II's and perhaps interview invites even without the new score, regardless of me indicating that I have a new score in progress?

Is it ill-advised for me not to retake the MCAT given the breadth of schools I will be applying to? Verbal is the obvious sore on my breakdown, but I am concerned with the amount of time I have to adequately prepare for a retake (and have it increase my competitiveness even marginally, heaven-forbid that I get a lower score). Nor do I have an extreme desire to take the test again if it will not drastically increase my competitiveness to the schools I am applying (assume only 2-3 point increase in score; I do not feel confident that I could score a 34-35+).

Correct.

So schools may review my application and send II's and perhaps interview invites even without the new score, regardless of me indicating that I have a new score in progress?

While a 29 is below avg, it's still competitive. So, that's why I say see how you fare in an app cycle.

Is it ill-advised for me not to retake the MCAT given the breadth of schools I will be applying to? Verbal is the obvious sore on my breakdown, but I am concerned with the amount of time I have to adequately prepare for a retake (and have it increase my competitiveness even marginally, heaven-forbid that I get a lower score). Nor do I have an extreme desire to take the test again if it will not drastically increase my competitiveness to the schools I am applying (assume only 2-3 point increase in score; I do not feel confident that I could score a 34-35

Necro-ing my own thread from a couple weeks ago to get more input before June submission.
I decided to go full-force with my application despite my MCAT score. If I don't get any love this application cycle, I will retake.

I expanded/updated my school list and would greatly appreciate some more advice on whittling it down. Please consider my metrics/EC when commenting!

DO SCHOOLS:
AT Still AZ-SOM
AZCOM
Marian-COM
Michigan State-COM
OU Heritage-COM
Pacific Northwest-COM
Touro-CA
Touro-NV
UPikeville-COM
Western-OR
Western-CA

MD (private):
Commonweatlh
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College of Wisconsin
St. Louis-SOM
Drexel
Rush Medical College
Penn State-COM
Jefferson
Loyola Stritch-SOM
Temple-SOM

MD (public):
IndianaU-SOM (16ish% OOS acceptance)
Northeast-OMU
OSUCOM
OregonH&S-SOM
UToledo-COM
UC-Davis (Reach - but I am CA resident)
UC-Irvine (Reach - but I am CA resident)
UCincinnati-COM
UKentucky-COM (30% OOS acceptance)
ULouisville-SOM (25% OOS acceptance)
Wright State-SOM

Currently, this is 32 schools, which is much more than I would like to apply to (trying to get to around 20-25). My concern is that I know it is smart to cast a wide net and apply to appropriate OOS private schools, but they are not in a preferable area of the country (most on east coast in PA/NY - I'm trying to shy away from NY). I know that beggars can't be choosers, but just something to consider. I know that my stats are appropriate for DO schools, so most of what is on my DO list I will most likely keep, pending any serious advise that tells me otherwise.

Additionally, the public schools I have on my list are there (at least the Midwest ones) because I have ties to the Midwest. My parents are residents of OH, though I did not grow up there. Also, I have ties to NV as I did 1/2 of my undergrad there (relevant to Touro-NV).

I have looked extensively over the MSAR and individual school websites to compile this list.

Please and thanks to all advice! Keep in mind all of the info in my original post :):)

As a CA resident with your stats, you don't meet criteria for a mission group at OHSU, so it will be very tough there for you. I stand by my advice about Kentucky, Louisville and Indiana.

Thanks for the advice :)
Does OHSU have west coast bias in addition Oregon, or just Oregon? I agree with you about Kentucky, Louisville, and Indiana

Would love others to chime in! If @Goro @gyngyn @Catalystik would be so kind. You've commented before Goro, and I appreciate it!

DO SCHOOLS:
AT Still AZ-SOM
AZCOM
Marian-COM
Michigan State-COM
OU Heritage-COM
Pacific Northwest-COM
Touro-CA
Touro-NV
UPikeville-COM
Western-OR
Western-CA

MD (private):
Commonweatlh
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis-SOM
Drexel
Rush Medical College
Penn State-COM
Jefferson
Loyola Stritch-SOM
Temple-SOM

MD (public):
IndianaU-SOM (16ish% OOS acceptance)
Northeast-OMU
OSUCOM
OregonH&S-SOM
UToledo-COM
UCincinnati-COM
UKentucky-COM (30% OOS acceptance)
ULouisville-SOM (25% OOS acceptance)
Wright State-SOM

Updated! Red are being struck from the list. Currently 28; would like to get this down under 25ish

It may be silly, but I would definitely like to keep my regional bias of OH and CA/west coast for where I am applying. I do not, however, want
to limit myself by not casting a wide net. That is why I have low-tier MDs in PA, WI, IL etc. I have many schools on my list in OH alone. Would it be wise to cut back a couple from OH and apply to the PA/WI/IL schools? Or apply to them all? Application fees are not too much of an issue, but I do not want to be neurotic and apply to too many.

It may be silly, but I would definitely like to keep my regional bias of OH and CA/west coast for where I am applying. I do not, however, want
to limit myself by not casting a wide net. That is why I have low-tier MDs in PA, WI, IL etc. I have many schools on my list in OH alone. Would it be wise to cut back a couple from OH and apply to the PA/WI/IL schools? Or apply to them all? Application fees are not too much of an issue, but I do not want to be neurotic and apply to too many.
You can delete any of the MD schools and you will still get in with your DO list.

DO SCHOOLS:
AT Still AZ-SOM
AZCOM
Marian-COM
Michigan State-COM
OU Heritage-COM
Pacific Northwest-COM
Touro-CA
Touro-NV
UPikeville-COM
Western-OR
Western-CA

MD (private):
Commonweatlh
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis-SOM
Drexel
Rush Medical College
Penn State-COM
Jefferson

Loyola Stritch-SOM
Temple-SOM

MD (public):

Northeast-OMU (very low OOS <5% acceptance, but I have regional ties)
OSUCOM
UToledo-COM
UCincinnati-COM
Wright State-SOM

Marked schools are current concerns with my metrics

I don't think you have a good chance with UCI, and most likely not with UCD either. CA has way too many applicants for you to be competitive with a really low mcat and lower gpa.

Also realize that Pacific Northwest-COM heavily favors pacific northwest residents. (90% I believe) With your stats though, I believe you may have a shot!

I don't think you have a good chance with UCI, and most likely not with UCD either. CA has way too many applicants for you to be competitive with a really low mcat and lower gpa.

Ya, I definitely know that UCI and UCD are reaches, but as a CA resident I feel compelled to apply to them despite the disadvantage. If it works out, then a round of beers for everyone on me!

Also realize that Pacific Northwest-COM heavily favors pacific northwest residents. (90% I believe) With your stats though, I believe you may have a shot!

PNCOM's website listed their 2017 class as 80% Pacific-Northwest and 20% OOS. Earlier years have been skewed both upward and downward from those percentages, but that is definitely something to consider. Thanks!

I've spent over 30 years pointing this out with the same outcome!
I look at it as a compulsion and let it go...

Reactions: 1 users
I've spent over 30 years pointing this out with the same outcome!
I look at it as a compulsion and let it go...

Are you implying that you actually take into account that compulsion when viewing sub-average applicants from CA, or that there is no hope? Lol. Either way, my compulsion remains firm.

Are you implying that you actually take into account that compulsion when viewing sub-average applicants from CA, or that there is no hope? Lol. Either way, my compulsion remains firm.
CA applicants of every stripe apply to CA schools without regard to their chances.
Therefore, it must be normal even when it is not very likely at all.

CA applicants of every stripe apply to CA schools without regard to their chances.

This is very true. I do not shy from the reality of the UCs being difficult to gain admission; that is why Touro-CA and Western-CA are my top choices!

Updated a bit based on preference. Some final comments on the list would be greatly appreciated!
DO SCHOOLS:
AT Still AZ-SOM
AZCOM
Marian-COM
Michigan State-COM
OU Heritage-COM
Touro-CA
Touro-NV
UPikeville-COM
Western-OR
Western-CA

MD (private):
Commonweatlh
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis-SOM
Drexel
Rush Medical College

MD (public):

Northeast-OMU (very low OOS <5% acceptance, but I have regional ties)
OSUCOM
UToledo-COM
UCincinnati-COM
Wright State-SOM

have you considered pcom and ccom? they are both top DO schools imo.

have you considered pcom and ccom? they are both top DO schools imo.

I have, they are just not around my regional preference. Originally, my mindset was that if I was going to apply to schools outside my relative region bias, I would prefer that they be MD as the 10 DO schools on my list are all within places that I wouldn't mind living (they are within travel distance to family). However, with my metrics it would probably be unwise to think that I have a greater shot at MD schools like Drexel or Rush, when there are DO schools like PCOM/CCOM in the same area. I am applying to schools in PA, WI, IL etc to cast a wide net, though beggars can't be choosers.

Thanks for the input!

FYI: you have a really good shot at Neomed. Although you may be technically OOS, your parents' Ohio residence will make up for that. Good luck!

FYI: you have a really good shot at Neomed. Although you may be technically OOS, your parents' Ohio residence will make up for that. Good luck!

Glad to hear! Thank you for the encouragement.

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the IQ of the American public-H. L. Mencken