MD & DO cGPA 3.75 sGPA 3.61 MCAT 499

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KiloBeta

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am from Ohio but only applied to 2 in-state schools, OU for osteopathic and Wright State for allopathic. These are my top two but I also applied to 9 out of state DO and MD schools, including LUCOM which is where I did some of my undergrad. The college I graduated from has a partnership with LECOM, however I am only interested in the Bradenton campus.
I am currently working as a disability claims adjudicator, which involves reading medical records, ordering special testing, and making decisions on disability claims; I have limited clinical experience, only shadowing physicians. I did have 3 physicians write letters of recommendation for me.
What do you think are my chances of interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Chances xzero for Mds schools and OK for DO schools if you applied broadly. You're a lock for LUCOM.

I am from Ohio but only applied to 2 in-state schools, OU for osteopathic and Wright State for allopathic. These are my top two but I also applied to 9 out of state DO and MD schools, including LUCOM which is where I did some of my undergrad. The college I graduated from has a partnership with LECOM, however I am only interested in the Bradenton campus.
I am currently working as a disability claims adjudicator, which involves reading medical records, ordering special testing, and making decisions on disability claims; I have limited clinical experience, only shadowing physicians. I did have 3 physicians write letters of recommendation for me.
What do you think are my chances of interview?

Chances xzero for Mds schools and OK for DO schools if you applied broadly. You're a lock for LUCOM.

You'd say even zero chance even with being in state for Wright State?

Members don't see this ad :)
You'd say even zero chance even with being in state for Wright State?
Your MCAT is below the 10th% for Wright. It isn't zero, but it's pretty darn low unless there is more to your application than you are revealing. MD schools don't put much weight on physician LOE's.
Is there a reason you didn't apply to all your IS schools where your stats are near/above the 10th%?

Your MCAT is below the 10th% for Wright. It isn't zero, but it's pretty darn low unless there is more to your application than you are revealing.
Is there a reason you didn't apply to all your IS schools where your stats are near the 10th%?

Most Ohio med schools are part of a generally large university, whereas wright state is a bit smaller, and I'm also very interested in rural medicine as I grew up very immersed in rural Ohio. I completed my undergrad in NE Ohio, and don't have any desire to return to that part of the state, so NEOMED was out of the equation.
My application has its drawbacks, like a withdrawal from one semester when I was having health issues, and a less than desirable ochem2 grade. I do have a lot of volunteering and shadowing, both clinical and non clinical. I went to a small school so my undergrad professors knew me well and sent letters of rec as well as three physicians I shadowed and got to know relatively well. They all have very different specialties, which gave me a good amount of exposure to different kinds of patient care.

Most Ohio med schools are part of a generally large university, whereas wright state is a bit smaller, and I'm also very interested in rural medicine as I grew up very immersed in rural Ohio. I completed my undergrad in NE Ohio, and don't have any desire to return to that part of the state, so NEOMED was out of the equation.
My application has its drawbacks, like a withdrawal from one semester when I was having health issues, and a less than desirable ochem2 grade. I do have a lot of volunteering and shadowing, both clinical and non clinical. I went to a small school so my undergrad professors knew me well and sent letters of rec as well as three physicians I shadowed and got to know relatively well. They all have very different specialties, which gave me a good amount of exposure to different kinds of patient care.
If these issues are more important than becoming a physician then your choice makes sense.

Reactions: 1 user