cGPA: 3.82, scGPA: 3.86, MCAT: 521

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runningjungle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got pretty good and varied extracurriculars, over 2,000 hours of research and 2 publications plus one pending.

I applied to all Michigan public schools (resident) plus
Ohio State
Case Western Reserve
University of Rochester
Tufts
Boston University
Brown
Dartmouth
Temple
Drexel

Members don't see this ad.

I would ask for more information.

What state are you from, where did you go to undergrad, what are these "pretty good and varied extracurriculars", how far out of college are you (if you are at all), etc?

Look on the stickied thread for a list of information that is good to include in a WAMC thread.

And from the looks of your list, you haven't looked at MSAR yet, so I highly recommend purchasing that.

I'm a resident in michigan, go to a top tier research university. I have 80+ hours of shadowing, 200 hours of volunteering about half in clinical settings and about half with Habitat for Humanity. I'm in a professional fraternity, a community service program, an athletic club team, and work in two separate research labs. I'm a traditional applicant, entering my final year of schooling. White, female applicant from upper-middle class family.

I do have MSAR, I just wanted to include a wide variety of schools. Most were chosen due to their location and the community they serve, plus curriculum styles

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, well Temple, Drexel, and Tufts are all going to be low yield for you due to your applicant profile (as well as the high volume of apps they receive), though if you've already applied to them don't worry about. Brown is going to be low yield unless you're a Brown grad, but again, same deal.

You should be targeting top and mid tier schools + all the Michigan schools (which you did). Ohio State, Case Western, and Rochester were all good choices.

Medical school admissions doesn't work like college admissions where you have safeties, matches, and reaches. You need to construct a school list where your profile best fits that of the schools you are applying to. Applying to a wide variety will yield worse results than applying strategically to best fit schools.

If you want Boston, Harvard is a good choice and BU is a decent one. If you want Philly, then apply to Penn. I'm not entirely clear on your location preferences other than some vague midwest/northeast thing.

In terms of communities, Dartmouth and Tufts, although they are relatively close geographically, serve very different communities. Can you be more specific about the location and community preferences? That would help me recommend schools for you that fit those preferences as well as your applicant profile.

Reactions: 1 user
Aim high!

I recommend:

Harvard

Wash U

Yale

Stanford

U Chicago

U Penn

U VA
U VM

U WI
Ohio State

Jefferson
U IA
UCSF

UCLA
U Cincy
Miami
Albert Einstein
Tulane
Loyola
Emory
BU
USC/Keck
JHU
Mayo
Pitt
Northwestern
NYU
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Sinai
Cornell
Duke
Case
Hofstra
ALL MI schools.

I've got pretty good and varied extracurriculars, over 2,000 hours of research and 2 publications plus one pending.

I applied to all Michigan public schools (resident) plus
Ohio State
Case Western Reserve
University of Rochester
Tufts
Boston University
Brown
Dartmouth
Temple
Drexel

I want to end up in a community that's underserved, preferably an urban one (I've done a lot of work in urban underserved communities already). Brown and Dartmouth were the odd men out on that because they're both in more affluent/rural areas, I just liked the schools missions. Temple and Drexel are both in Philly so again, the underserved area thing.

Ideally I want to be in the northeast or as close to it as possible (fiance is getting a job in the Boston area so ideally there) and I actually did apply to Harvard. That's also a reason I looked so hard at Dartmouth and Brown, they're both relatively close to Boston and good schools

Okay, well Temple, Drexel, and Tufts are all going to be low yield for you due to your applicant profile (as well as the high volume of apps they receive), though if you've already applied to them don't worry about. Brown is going to be low yield unless you're a Brown grad, but again, same deal.

You should be targeting top and mid tier schools + all the Michigan schools (which you did). Ohio State, Case Western, and Rochester were all good choices.

Medical school admissions doesn't work like college admissions where you have safeties, matches, and reaches. You need to construct a school list where your profile best fits that of the schools you are applying to. Applying to a wide variety will yield worse results than applying strategically to best fit schools.

If you want Boston, Harvard is a good choice and BU is a decent one. If you want Philly, then apply to Penn. I'm not entirely clear on your location preferences other than some vague midwest/northeast thing.

In terms of communities, Dartmouth and Tufts, although they are relatively close geographically, serve very different communities. Can you be more specific about the location and community preferences? That would help me recommend schools for you that fit those preferences as well as your applicant profile.

Thanks that's a confidence booster!

Aim high!

I recommend:

Harvard

Wash U

Yale

Stanford

U Chicago

U Penn

U VA
U VM

U WI
Ohio State

Jefferson
U IA
UCSF

UCLA
U Cincy
Miami
Albert Einstein
Tulane
Loyola
Emory
BU
USC/Keck
JHU
Mayo
Pitt
Northwestern
NYU
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Sinai
Cornell
Duke
Case
Hofstra
ALL MI schools.

I want to end up in a community that's underserved, preferably an urban one (I've done a lot of work in urban underserved communities already). Brown and Dartmouth were the odd men out on that because they're both in more affluent/rural areas, I just liked the schools missions. Temple and Drexel are both in Philly so again, the underserved area thing.

Dartmouth actually serves a lot of rural underserved areas in upper New England. Not extremely familiar with Brown, but unless you went there for undergrad, it's going to be low yield for you.

Ideally I want to be in the northeast or as close to it as possible (fiance is getting a job in the Boston area so ideally there) and I actually did apply to Harvard. That's also a reason I looked so hard at Dartmouth and Brown, they're both relatively close to Boston and good schools

Okay, so in addition to Harvard and the schools on your list in the first post, did you apply anywhere else? What is your full list as of right now?

Reactions: 1 user
Full list:
Michigan
Michigan State
Western
Wayne State
Oakland
Toledo (my pre-med advisor told me michigan residents may get some preference here)
Drexel
Temple
Brown
Dartmouth
Boston University
Tufts University
Harvard University
Case Western (current student)
Ohio State
Thomas Jefferson
UMass (I know I have like no chance here but it was in the perfect area)

Dartmouth actually serves a lot of rural underserved areas in upper New England. Not extremely familiar with Brown, but unless you went there for undergrad, it's going to be low yield for you.

Okay, so in addition to Harvard and the schools on your list in the first post, did you apply anywhere else? What is your full list as of right now?

Full list:
Michigan
Michigan State
Western
Wayne State
Oakland
Toledo (my pre-med advisor told me michigan residents may get some preference here)
Drexel
Temple
Brown
Dartmouth
Boston University
Tufts University
Harvard University
Case Western (current student)
Ohio State
Thomas Jefferson
UMass (I know I have like no chance here but it was in the perfect area)

Okay, so I would add Yale, Penn, Columbia, NYU, Cornell, Sinai, Einstein, and maybe Pitt and Rochester if they fit your location preferences.

You have literally no chance at UMass because they only accept MA residents, sorry :(

Okay, so I would add Yale, Penn, Columbia, NYU, Cornell, Sinai, Einstein, and maybe Pitt and Rochester if they fit your location preferences.

You have literally no chance at UMass because they only accept MA residents, sorry :(

UMass actually accepts out of state now! Only 12 per year though. My hope is that many people, like yourself, won't be aware of the change!

Apply to all your state schools and Toledo. Your OOS list should largely just be reaches and schools you would seriously consider turning down for your state schools and that cheap tuition. There is no point in MI with stats like these applying OOS to any other type of school. You're also very likely to get an II at U of MI with these type of stats IS