Chair Letter: #$(*& GRRR! (*&$#(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GeneGoddess

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some of the programs I am applying to (maybe 5-7) require a letter from the Chair of the Department. No problem. I met with the guy MONTHS ago. I found out last week that he was dictating the letters (umm, ok) and now they are all on his desk waiting to be signed by him! And they've been waiting for his signature since THURSDAY!

It wouldn't be that bad, except I called up one program today (got an interview in the area, wanted to see if I was being considered so I could schedule at the same time) and found out that my app is ON HOLD until the Chair letter comes in! Grrrrrrrrr!!! Everything else is there!

Come on! It's JUST a signature... Maybe I could bribe him with chocolates? Dictating some notes?

Members don't see this ad.

GeneGoddess said:
. . .Come on! It's JUST a signature... Maybe I could bribe him with chocolates? Dictating some notes?
Why not just politely remind him? Maybe say that a program you'd really like to interview at has you application on hold, waiting for his letter? People get really busy, sometimes you have to nudge a bit!

You should try calling his secretary. Let them know the situation and I'm sure they'll help you out.

GeneGoddess, what program is that?

I've also been waiting a couple months for my Chair/PD to finish his letter. I've already emailed his administrative assistant twice to remind her. :( I, too, have programs that are waiting for this letter before considering my app "complete."

Bringing chocolates to the guy's assistant would probably help your case more. Seriously, whatever else you do, DO NOT be mean to the administrative assistant. He/she is the gatekeeper to the chairman and if you act like a pushy type-A 'yotch to her, good luck getting anything from the chairman at all. I worked as a secretary for a surgeon at a very competitive academic program before I started med school, and trust me, he knew if some med student was treating me like crap while trying to get a letter. I have heard from a number of attendings that they specifically ask the admin assistants how they are treated by students who ask for letters/come for interviews. Being nasty to staff reflects very badly on you. So don't p--s the secretaries off.

Write a thank you note (or a 2nd thank you note)

Harrie said:
You should try calling his secretary. Let them know the situation and I'm sure they'll help you out.

Are you kidding? The secretary knows me by name! I've dropped by every day now (and trust me, I like the secretary...she's nice and KNOWS that he hasn't signed anything yet...she's tried to remind him, but he just says he's busy). It's not just my letter either...it's 15-20 of them!

If he still hasn't signed by this morning, I'm going to send him an email letting him know that a program has my app on hold until they get the letter...