Challenge essay topics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fran_mon

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I have two challenge essay ideas and would really appreciate some help with deciding which one to choose or whether I should brainstorm another idea.

The first one is my struggle on worldviews and political opinions and trying to fit in. I moved from my hometown where most people hold an atheist worldview to a conservative Christian high school in the US and I felt lost. It's like a culture shock, but not around food or lifestyle. The similar happened again when I moved to a politically liberal college. I didn't feel I belong. However, if I stay at a place long enough, I listen and assimilate to other's opinion as a way of fitting in. I asked my friends, professors or Bible teacher about their views on issues. And if we felt comfortable I would say what I think and maybe have a little discussion/debate. During this process I also did many research and independent readings, and came to realize the important thing was to respect other's believes and views and do my best to understand from another person's perspective.

My other idea was helping a family member overcome depression, by making extra time to talk to them and visit them, being supportive and uplifting, while maintaining my own mental health.

What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

Judging by how much you wrote about each one I would go with the first option since you seem to be more passionate about it. However, it might possible to merge the two.

2-second spitball:
- Trouble finding identity, possibly confused organized religion with spirituality
- Found own form of spirituality/connection through not only reading but by doing (something with the real world)
- This gave you skills that helped you connect with others on a deeper level and ultimately helped a friend who was in need