Challenge essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pazookie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, im looking at these old threads on the "adversity/challenge" secondary essays that a lot of schools ask for. So far they only helped a bit. My life has been pretty steady, with not too much in terms of hardships and stuff.

I was wondering how something like a leadership position could be looked at in terms of the challenges I faced? One specific example was my position in organizing a large event for my org, and having to deal with several issues not only before the day of the big event, but during (musicians didn't arrive, transportation got messed up etc). It was a stressful time and it really took time from school and work since I wanted to make sure everything was in order. Everything turned out fine in the end, so I want to say i learned a lot about organization, time management, working with others, communicating, as well as preparing me for anything that could happen.

I wanted to know if this is poignant or interesting enough to write about. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I guess you could talk about that, but that's just part of the turf when serving as a leader. You have to cover people's asses and make sure everything is good to go, regardless of what the people below you are supposed to do. I would only use that if you have nothing more meaningful to discuss.

I don't know if I have just been blessed by having a relatively simple life or what. I guess I'm lucky, and I'm having a really hard time coming up with something to say for this. Maybe I don't see some things that have happened as major challenges or something. But this essay, which is a staple of so many secondaries, is killing me! I feel like so many other applicants will have intense stories, like working full time while going to school, or being homeless, or something else that just makes me look underprivileged. Ive just lived such a standard life. I'm curious as to what some of you guys have talked about for the overcoming a challenge essay. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if I have just been blessed by having a relatively simple life or what. I guess I'm lucky, and I'm having a really hard time coming up with something to say for this. Maybe I don't see some things that have happened as major challenges or something. But this essay, which is a staple of so many secondaries, is killing me! I feel like so many other applicants will have intense stories, like working full time while going to school, or being homeless, or something else that just makes me look underprivileged. Ive just lived such a standard life. I'm curious as to what some of you guys have talked about for the overcoming a challenge essay. Thanks!

I'm in the same boat. Damn you perfect middle class life!! Why couldn't I be blessed with something horrible

I'm in the same boat. Damn you perfect middle class life!! Why couldn't I be blessed with something horrible

LMAO thats exactly how I feel.

I was watching an episode of House where some kid's dad dies right in front of him in a quarantine (the small pox episode) and all I could think was "Damn, that'd make a hell of an essay on a med school application."

This process bring out some straaaange sides of us lol.

write about how your challenge is writing the challenge essay

Reactions: 1 user
write about how your challenge is writing the challenge essay

I've had so many funny sentences and jokes I've wanted to stick in an essay, but I've decided against it each time. I can be pretty sarcastic at times, and it's hard to restrain it lol. I am confident that plenty of people would laugh, but the wrong person either wouldn't get it, or feel like a med school app is no place for a joke...

I was drinking while working on those strange USC questions (whats your most prized possession, how would you change the med school application process, etc), and I wrote some crazy **** for them. I was writing while drinking on purpose cuz I figured it might help me think of some good ideas. It just made me lazy instead. I didn't submit anything I wrote, but it was funny to read when I was sober the next day.

I am not looking forward to this type of question on secondaries... any "challenges" I had in my life totally pale in comparison to real hardships.

I am not looking forward to this type of question on secondaries... any "challenges" I had in my life totally pale in comparison to real hardships.

Yep. I'm glad I'm not alone. Are we being too strict with out definition of a challenge? Do they want to hear something stupid like how we bombed a test and ended up studying hard to ace the final or something?

I'm in the same boat. Staring at this secondary question for a week now and I can't think of anything! I have friends that have had terrible challenges and I sit here like...gosh "my goldfish died" like really is that the best thing i've got. lol. geez i guess "challenge" is going to take on a whole new meaning.

My condolences.

In a similar situation here.. was originally planning to talk about my experience with weight loss (personal and meaningful) but was told it's not wise to use.. now I'm resorting to how I learned a new language.. yeaa...

Just wondering, but what was wrong with writing about weight loss?

I feel exactly how a lot of you guys feel. It's not like I've never had any sort of challenge, it's just that I know lots of people, including some of my closest friends, that have gone through serious issues and faced very real hardships. Anything I've faced seems so trivial compared to what they've been through. So far the best I can come up with is how it was hard for me to adjust when I went away from home for college. What are your guys thoughts about writing something like that?

I hate this question. I hate it so much. I fully understand its importance to the adcom, but I'm in the same boat as a lot of people here. (It's quite a relief to hear it.)

There are a couple of actually serious issues I could write about, but it would be rather uncomfortable. I'm torn between writing on the time I was trapped in another country for five days (snowpocalypse ftw) and when I totalled my car in high school. Any thoughts on whether high school challenges (particularly of such a minor caliber) are taboo?

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel exactly how a lot of you guys feel. It's not like I've never had any sort of challenge, it's just that I know lots of people, including some of my closest friends, that have gone through serious issues and faced very real hardships. Anything I've faced seems so trivial compared to what they've been through. So far the best I can come up with is how it was hard for me to adjust when I went away from home for college. What are your guys thoughts about writing something like that?

That was exactly what I was going to write about. It was a difficult time for me moving to college, especially because I had just developed a (non life-threatening) medical problem.

My personal belief is that if the biggest challenge you've had is bombing a test or homesickness, you need to be taking more risks and take on more responsibilities and try new things. I think the OP is fine in his material.

But, in the end, challenge essays aren't dickwaving contests about who has it hard or who can write the best SOB story. It's about your logical reactions to the challenge, the steps you take to overcome it, and the result. No one wants to read about how hard or how easy you had it, and no one is going to feel sorry for you. That's not the point. The important part is your thought process, reaction, crafting a logical plan, and a follow through. Even with the most trivial problem, you can at least still write a passable essay highlighting those points.

What should be going through the reader's mind after reading it should be "This applicant shows a mature approach to problems and is able to calmly tackle difficult and unforeseen situations" not "wow, what a ****ty life".

All my challenge/difficult time essays demonstrated my leadership abilities IMO.

The first time I applied, I wrote about this difficult experience I had organizing an event as Club President -- similar to the OPs. I don't understand the issue of using a situation like that to describe a "difficult" time in your life or a "challenge". While Nick is correct, a situation like that is usually the norm with leadership -- many people a. still don't have leadership experiences, b. might respond poorly to that scenario. If you handled everything decently well and believe it really highlights your leadership skills, I say go for it.

My personal belief is that if the biggest challenge you've had is bombing a test or homesickness, you need to be taking more risks and take on more responsibilities and try new things. I think the OP is fine in his material.

But, in the end, challenge essays aren't dickwaving contests about who has it hard or who can write the best SOB story. It's about your logical reactions to the challenge, the steps you take to overcome it, and the result. No one wants to read about how hard or how easy you had it, and no one is going to feel sorry for you. That's not the point. The important part is your thought process, reaction, crafting a logical plan, and a follow through. Even with the most trivial problem, you can at least still write a passable essay highlighting those points.

What should be going through the reader's mind after reading it should be "This applicant shows a mature approach to problems and is able to calmly tackle difficult and unforeseen situations" not "wow, what a ****ty life".

Good advice. But honestly it is still difficult for me to think of something I was challenged by.

Reactions: 1 user

You make a very good point, but I don't think it's necessarily fair to write off somebody having a hard time adjusting to life away from home. I'm involved in many organizations where I have a leadership position and as for "take more risks" I don't know what you mean. If you're saying I should go skydiving to get over my fear of heights, I'm sorry but I don't have a fear of heights.

It's just that in my leadership positions I've had to deal with the usual crap and I tend to deal with it without extensive thought because I've dealt with similar situations tons of time before. Being away from home was a unique experience and a particular instance where I was consciously aware of my discomfort and made a focused effort to address it.

Ya I had this thought yesterday when I was thinking of something to write. I actually did have a hard time moving to a whole new state with no friends or anything, but then I realized something... Saying that we had problems adjusting to a radical life change, with new friends, a new location, new classes, etc, seems like a HUGE red flag to an adcom, and you're completely shooting yourself in the foot. Saying that you had a hard time adjusting to new living conditions is like writing them an essay on why they shouldn't pick you... because you're going to go through the same thing again if you're accepted to their school. I was disappointed when I realized that this was a bad essay topic, cuz for a minute, I thought this would have made a half-decent essay on a challenge. Balls.

Ya I had this thought yesterday when I was thinking of something to write. I actually did have a hard time moving to a whole new state with no friends or anything, but then I realized something... Saying that we had problems adjusting to a radical life change, with new friends, a new location, new classes, etc, seems like a HUGE red flag to an adcom, and you're completely shooting yourself in the foot. Saying that you had a hard time adjusting to new living conditions is like writing them an essay on why they shouldn't pick you... because you're going to go through the same thing again if you're accepted to their school. I was disappointed when I realized that this was a bad essay topic, cuz for a minute, I thought this would have made a half-decent essay on a challenge. Balls.

You think so? I considered that too, but my essay is about how I initially had that challenge, but how I faced it and dealt with it. I feel like the point isn't to show that you won't have any challenges in med school, but instead to show that you are able to face and deal with potential challenges. Obviously, an adcom would be much better equipped to answer this question but just my .02

What should be going through the reader's mind after reading it should be "This applicant hows a mature approach to problems and is able to calmly tackle difficult and unforeseen situations" not "wow, what a ****ty life".

^ I couldn't have said it better myself. Spot on. :thumbup:

You think so? I considered that too, but my essay is about how I initially had that challenge, but how I faced it and dealt with it. I feel like the point isn't to show that you won't have any challenges in med school, but instead to show that you are able to face and deal with potential challenges. Obviously, an adcom would be much better equipped to answer this question but just my .02

I definitely see where you're coming from. But it's the same situation as talking about weight again, it's like you're talking about a risk factor. I think no matter how well you write your essay, you won't be able to totally convince some people that the problem would never happen again. It's like someone with a criminal record and drug violations trying to get into med school. Even if the illegal activities happened ten years ago, and that person has totally turned their life around, a lot of people will have a little nagging feeling inside when viewing his app. They will wonder if that old self will ever come back out...

I think it's saying that you're predisposed to the problem. While I think plenty of people might understand you, they might also wonder why you even brought up something that could be such a red flag. Cuz by even mentioning it, people might question your judgement. Hope I don't come across as rude, I just think it might be risky to say that, when I'm sure adcoms know that homesickness can really mess up their students. Then again, maybe some artsy adcom would love it and call it bold of you. Who knows in this crazy process?

I definitely see where you're coming from. But it's the same situation as talking about weight again, it's like you're talking about a risk factor. I think no matter how well you write your essay, you won't be able to totally convince some people that the problem would never happen again. It's like someone with a criminal record and drug violations trying to get into med school. Even if the illegal activities happened ten years ago, and that person has totally turned their life around, a lot of people will have a little nagging feeling inside when viewing his app. They will wonder if that old self will ever come back out...

I think it's saying that you're predisposed to the problem. While I think plenty of people might understand you, they might also wonder why you even brought up something that could be such a red flag. Cuz by even mentioning it, people might question your judgement. Hope I don't come across as rude, I just think it might be risky to say that, when I'm sure adcoms know that homesickness can really mess up their students. Then again, maybe some artsy adcom would love it and call it bold of you. Who knows in this crazy process?

Hmmm...kinda wishing I had that secondary back haha. Well, hopefully they'll see that it didn't impact my performance and look past it. After all was said and done, it only really bothered me for the first month or two of undergrad.

Hmmm...kinda wishing I had that secondary back haha. Well, hopefully they'll see that it didn't impact my performance and look past it. After all was said and done, it only really bothered me for the first month or two of undergrad.

Hahaha. That last sentence is actually huge. That's a great way to show that it wouldn't be in issue, and you would bounce back from it before it became a problem. Gluck!

Hahaha. That last sentence is actually huge. That's a great way to show that it wouldn't be in issue, and you would bounce back from it before it became a problem. Gluck!

I hope the adcoms feel the same way. Thanks and good luck to you too!

I might have just had a breakthrough! Lol got three different ideas for what could end up being pretty unique essays. Gonna knock out a generic version of it tomorrow, and tweak it for the different schools that ask for it. I think I have 4 schools that do...

how do you think they would take it if I wrote about my struggle with a sports injury that includes years of PT, 2 surgeries, and ended my promising softball career that was pretty much my life and way to college (obviously I had the grades so that I was fine, but plans changed for sure.) I could make it rather good as far as the impact it has made, but not sure I'd be answering their question... thoughts?? this question is EVERYWHEREEE

Talk about that time your brand new iphone screen got scratched and you were super bummed out. But then you overcame adversity and used the phone anyway.

how do you think they would take it if I wrote about my struggle with a sports injury that includes years of PT, 2 surgeries, and ended my promising softball career that was pretty much my life and way to college (obviously I had the grades so that I was fine, but plans changed for sure.) I could make it rather good as far as the impact it has made, but not sure I'd be answering their question... thoughts?? this question is EVERYWHEREEE

The point is HOW DID YOU COPE with the loss of a major part of your schedule (practice & games), the loss of physical function, the pain, the discouragement that accompanies little improvement day to day with PT (the payoff coming eventually but it takes a long time). Many of us on the adcom have had our share of injuries (sports related or otherwise -- me, I was trying to walk and chew gum :laugh: ) The point of the essay is to tell of the source of the strength you had to see you through.

couldn't this theoretically be a place to talk about bad grades b/c of being immature, overwhelmed, or family issues, and then how you overcame them with an upward trend? i know it's saying your greatest challenge is "grades" which is kinda lame...but the alternative for me is to write about a leadership experience...kinda generic.

lmao thats exactly how i feel.

I was watching an episode of house where some kid's dad dies right in front of him in a quarantine (the small pox episode) and all i could think was "damn, that'd make a hell of an essay on a med school application."

this process bring out some straaaange sides of us lol.

+1 :)

I hate this question. I hate it so much. I fully understand its importance to the adcom, but I'm in the same boat as a lot of people here. (It's quite a relief to hear it.)

There are a couple of actually serious issues I could write about, but it would be rather uncomfortable. I'm torn between writing on the time I was trapped in another country for five days (snowpocalypse ftw) and when I totalled my car in high school. Any thoughts on whether high school challenges (particularly of such a minor caliber) are taboo?

for the win or f*** the world?

So along these lines, what if I already wrote about what I see as my greatest challenge as one of my most important activities in the AMCAS application? I don't want to repeat myself too much, but I really do think it was my greatest challenge...

What if you wrote about someone's challenges that you encountered while working with them, like a friend or a patient or someone like that, and how you worked with them closely to get through it.. or how it affected you? Does it have to be your challenge?

Hey everyone, im looking at these old threads on the "adversity/challenge" secondary essays that a lot of schools ask for. So far they only helped a bit. My life has been pretty steady, with not too much in terms of hardships and stuff.

I was wondering how something like a leadership position could be looked at in terms of the challenges I faced? One specific example was my position in organizing a large event for my org, and having to deal with several issues not only before the day of the big event, but during (musicians didn't arrive, transportation got messed up etc). It was a stressful time and it really took time from school and work since I wanted to make sure everything was in order. Everything turned out fine in the end, so I want to say i learned a lot about organization, time management, working with others, communicating, as well as preparing me for anything that could happen.

I wanted to know if this is poignant or interesting enough to write about. Thanks!
I wrote a thinly veiled essay about being constipated and really having to take a dump.
I got into med school, you can too?