Chance at DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed1211

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a new SDN member, but I have been reading forums on this website for quite some time, and I first want to thank everyone who takes the time to offer their advice and guidance to pre-med students; you have helped so many in preparing for medical school. I regret not taking all of this valuable advice more seriously, much sooner. I am fixing to apply to DO schools this summer, with less-than-great stats, and would really appreciate opinions on what my chances are, and if I should consider waiting another year to improve. During undergrad, I had my share of personal problems and slacking off at times but I have matured a lot and I am prepared to do whatever it takes to get into medical school, as I really couldn't imagine doing anything else with my life. Anyway, here are my stats:

Chemistry major, minoring in Hispanic Studies
Live in NC, not URM
Less than desirable gpa trend..

1st year cgpa
Semester 1: 3.8
Semester 2: 3.0

2nd year:
Semester 1: 3.59
Semester 2: 3.29

3rd year:
Semester 1: 3.08 (A's, B in physics, and a D in Calc brought my grade down. Replacing calc now)
Semester 2: currently taking orgo 2 & lab, microbiology, anatomy, calc, & psych and making A's in all of them so far. I am working really hard, and truly believe I can earn a 4.0 this semester.
Assuming I can I do so, my cgpa will be 3.5 and my science gpa 3.2

My father was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease at the end of my freshmen year when I was 17 which affected me pretty badly, but there's no justification for the poor gpa trend..until this semester (which is very late, I know), I have barely put any effort into school, but I know that I am very capable and hope that I can still prove that before applying to medical school in June.

As far as EC's,
~60 hours volunteering @ hospital in ED, some patient contact, discontinued when I left for the summer
~100 hours tutoring Spanish for a university organization over the past year, which I will continue doing
~20 hours volunteering for Hospice over Christmas break
~30 hours shadowing physicians in various primary-care fields (including a DO, that I plan to continue shadowing later this semester)
~45 hours volunteering sporadically with the Humane Society in community pet adoptions and fundraisers
~20 hours participating in random volunteer activities at the nursing home, boys & girls club, homeless shelter, ect
-President of an osteopathic student medical organization, which has taken up a lot of time
-Member of a few other student organizations, no significant time commitment though
-Starting this month, I am also volunteering twice a month at a free clinic that provides medical assistance to an underserved, predominantly latino community, and once a week teaching English to a hispanic kindergarten class

I haven't done research..could the fact that I have a chemistry background somewhat "substitute" for that, or is that insignificant?

As far as the MCAT, I am taking a prep course, and have been scoring between 28-31 on my practice tests. With continued studying, I feel pretty confident I can make at least a 30 when I take the real thing at the end of this semester.

Sorry this is kind of all over the place, and thank you if you read all of it! I know that nothing is certain until you receive an acceptance letter, but what do you think my chances are of getting into DO school with these stats? I have realized that the duration of my clinical experiences (only a semester was continuous) might hinder my chances, as well as my below-average science gpa and gpa trend..If I work hard to improve my app this semester, is there hope for getting in this cycle? If not, what should I do to improve for the next cycle? Should I consider a post-bacc program? Thank you in advance for any advice; it is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Apply at the end of your senior year after maintaining a constant and upward GPA. Keep going with the activities. You'll be fine. Sending applications to your state MD schools may also be a good idea.

I am a new SDN member, but I have been reading forums on this website for quite some time, and I first want to thank everyone who takes the time to offer their advice and guidance to pre-med students; you have helped so many in preparing for medical school. I regret not taking all of this valuable advice more seriously, much sooner. I am fixing to apply to DO schools this summer, with less-than-great stats, and would really appreciate opinions on what my chances are, and if I should consider waiting another year to improve. During undergrad, I had my share of personal problems and slacking off at times but I have matured a lot and I am prepared to do whatever it takes to get into medical school, as I really couldn't imagine doing anything else with my life. Anyway, here are my stats:

Chemistry major, minoring in Hispanic Studies
Live in NC, not URM
Less than desirable gpa trend..

1st year cgpa
Semester 1: 3.8
Semester 2: 3.0

2nd year:
Semester 1: 3.59
Semester 2: 3.29

3rd year:
Semester 1: 3.08 (A's, B in physics, and a D in Calc brought my grade down. Replacing calc now)
Semester 2: currently taking orgo 2 & lab, microbiology, anatomy, calc, & psych and making A's in all of them so far. I am working really hard, and truly believe I can earn a 4.0 this semester.
Assuming I can I do so, my cgpa will be 3.5 and my science gpa 3.2

My father was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease at the end of my freshmen year when I was 17 which affected me pretty badly, but there's no justification for the poor gpa trend..until this semester (which is very late, I know), I have barely put any effort into school, but I know that I am very capable and hope that I can still prove that before applying to medical school in June.

As far as EC's,
~60 hours volunteering @ hospital in ED, some patient contact, discontinued when I left for the summer
~100 hours tutoring Spanish for a university organization over the past year, which I will continue doing
~20 hours volunteering for Hospice over Christmas break
~30 hours shadowing physicians in various primary-care fields (including a DO, that I plan to continue shadowing later this semester)
~45 hours volunteering sporadically with the Humane Society in community pet adoptions and fundraisers
~20 hours participating in random volunteer activities at the nursing home, boys & girls club, homeless shelter, ect
-President of an osteopathic student medical organization, which has taken up a lot of time
-Member of a few other student organizations, no significant time commitment though
-Starting this month, I am also volunteering twice a month at a free clinic that provides medical assistance to an underserved, predominantly latino community, and once a week teaching English to a hispanic kindergarten class

I haven't done research..could the fact that I have a chemistry background somewhat "substitute" for that, or is that insignificant?

As far as the MCAT, I am taking a prep course, and have been scoring between 28-31 on my practice tests. With continued studying, I feel pretty confident I can make at least a 30 when I take the real thing at the end of this semester.

Sorry this is kind of all over the place, and thank you if you read all of it! I know that nothing is certain until you receive an acceptance letter, but what do you think my chances are of getting into DO school with these stats? I have realized that the duration of my clinical experiences (only a semester was continuous) might hinder my chances, as well as my below-average science gpa and gpa trend..If I work hard to improve my app this semester, is there hope for getting in this cycle? If not, what should I do to improve for the next cycle? Should I consider a post-bacc program? Thank you in advance for any advice; it is greatly appreciated!
Besides the desirability of demonstrating consistent excellent performance and getting in some sGPA repair (by taking advantage of the AACOMAS grade replacement policy as well as some new upper-level Bio), your application would be greatly served by some decent longevity in more than one activity. If you carry through with the leadership, clinical experience, the free clinic, teaching the kids, and the shadowing, then a year from now, I don't think that a lack of research will hold you back. And you'd likely have far more choices among schools you'd really prefer to attend.

Also, I agree with the above post that another year and a good MCAT score could give you a shot at a cheaper state MD school if you have an interest (and if you don't have a lot of other low grades you've already retaken).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for the feedback and advice. The osteopathic medical school in particular that I would like to attend is Campbell University's upcoming DO school that opens Fall 2013. But if I were to apply with my current stats (with continued volunteering until then), it sounds like it's unlikely that I will get accepted?

Oh, and if it makes any difference, that is the only D I have ever made and the only class I have had to grade replace. There's a really stupid reason for the grade (resulting from a ridiculous policy where a test grade is dropped, which I was aware of from the class syllabus, but you had to take it for it to be dropped, which I was unaware of b/c this was never stated), and no amount of begging and trying to reason with the professor made any difference. So ridiculous professor & class policy, laziness on my part, and here I am taking it again. But I will definitely be making an A in it this time!

Thank you both for the feedback and advice. The osteopathic medical school in particular that I would like to attend is Campbell University's upcoming DO school that opens Fall 2013. But if I were to apply with my current stats (with continued volunteering until then), it sounds like it's unlikely that I will get accepted?
New schools can be more liberal relative to the usual expectations. But it is also unknown what their selection factors might be. You could call them or look on the website and see what you can glean.

Also, if that is the explanation for the D and you presented it properly in the right Secondary essay, it might be overlooked/forgiven. I'm glad to hear that you fought for it.