chance at top tier?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monkeysarefunny

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
(OK, I apologize in advance. I know these "what are my chances" threads can get to be a bit much, but I needed an honest assessment and didn't know where else to go.)

Anyways, here's my story: I finished up my 3rd year of med school and am currently taking time off (thus, I will be applying next cycle). Recently, I've had the chance to spend some time w/ the ophthalmology department and have realized that this field is perfect for me: interesting surgeries + cool toys in clinic + decent lifestyle = everything I want in a medical career. Specifically, I have come to be interested in retina (I am definitely more of a surgery person and I think that, if I were to become a general ophthalmologist, I'd be disappointed with the scarce OR time). I'd like to complete a residency at an upper tier program, not for the name (I honestly couldn't care less), but because I've been told that, in order for me to land a retina fellowship, it'd be in my best interest to match at a good residency program to set myself up for it.

OK, so my stats: I did well during my first two years and on Step 1 (>260). Because of this, I got Junior AOA. Unfortunately, 3rd year was a bit more frustrating. I received honors in Surgery and Ob/Gyn, a high pass in Medicine, and simply pass in Peds, Psych, and FM. Though I did come close in a few of the latter courses there, my (middle-tier) school is pretty stringent on the 15% cutoff for honors and, for some reason, only offers high pass for Medicine and Surgery. As far as the extracurriculars go, I have done some published research in non-ophtho fields, but hope to get into some ophtho research and activities during the course of this year.

I've been having a hard time judging where I stand exactly. I know that the Junior AOA and board score work in my favor, but do you think that my less-than-stellar 3rd year performance would keep me from the upper tier programs? If I could see myself doing general ophtho, I wouldn't be asking, since I feel confident that I should match somewhere, but my desire to match at an upper-tier program makes me nervous to say the least (especially since ophtho is such a competitive field to begin with).

Thanks for any and all comments you might have to offer.

Members don't see this ad.

Less than stellar third year grades were my downfall, hence I didn't match.

Just goes to show, even if a little butt-kissing turns you off, it could help you land the specialty you want! You will, however, get tons of interviews. You will interview at probably greater than half the programs to which you apply, and you will be fine. Top ten programs are a little hoity-toity and can nit-pick your application to shreds, but I wasn't under the impression you had to come from a top tier residency to get retina fellowship.

The key to getting interviews at top 20 programs will be your letters and publications. If you take a year off to do ophtho research, get published as first (or second) author and have at least one top notch letter, you're golden.

You state your 3rd year grades aren't stellar but keep in mind the most important, Surgery and Medicine, are honors and high-pass. I predict that with a solid ophtho pub and letter of rec you'll get interviews at 60-70% of the top 20 programs and will match at one (based on how others with your stats have done). You need to work hard this year though, and also must interview well.

I agree with Geddy that you don't need to be at a top 20 program to land a Retina fellowship. However, it will improve your chances for a good fellowship. The best retina fellowships tend to go for candidates from the best residencies.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with medicine and surgery being most important. In several interviews I could see my application across the desk and my surgery and medicine grades were the only ones circled. Again, the interview is key because your grades will only get you in the front door.

I don't know why you would think that general ophthalmologists have scarce OR time. They tend to be in the OR atleast half of their work days. General ophthalmology can be very surgically intense, especially if you receive good training in all of the subspecialties. One could do a fair amount of plastic procedures, glaucoma procedures and of course as much phaco as one desires. I think that if you are solely deciding on retina for the OR time, then you might be making a big mistake.

You should talk to some general ophthalmologists in your program in regards to their surgical time.

Good luck with your next year!

Thanks for all the responses. (Wow, seems like you were pretty busy today, Visioncam).

I just recently received one of the passes mentioned above when I thought I was going to honor (I missed the cutoff by a point), so I think it made me a little overly concerned. Anyways, I guess it sounds like I still have a shot. Just got to focus on rounding out my application as best I can. Unfortunately, I go to a school with a not so stellar ophtho department (from what I know), so getting the letters from big shots might not be a possibility (perhaps at an away rotation, though). Also, it seems I might not get too much play from the top notch programs because of my med school. Oh, well. Can't do too much about that, I suppose.

About needing to go to a strong program to enter a retina fellowship, I was told this by a resident in ophtho. From what you all are saying, though, it seems he might have overstated things (or I took him the wrong way). I hope that is the case.

monkeysarefunny said:
About needing to go to a strong program to enter a retina fellowship, I was told this by a resident in ophtho. From what you all are saying, though, it seems he might have overstated things (or I took him the wrong way). I hope that is the case.

You'll need a strong residency program to match at competitive retina fellowships.

However, there are always unmatched retina spots every year. Take a look on www.sfmatch.org after the fellowship match this winter. You'll see numerous positions available. Whether or not these programs are good or appropriate for your needs is a different issue.