Chance for 4 year OS program. Should I take NBME?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

galaxys

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently a dentist who graduatd 2012 and would like to apply for OS next cycle. My rank is 5/95 and have 2 externship experiences but my part I board score of 89 is holding me back.

I am trying to apply for OS next cycle. Should I just use my board score of 89? Or, will it be better to give a chance to NBME this year? Problem is that I am busy working and won't be able to fully concentrate on NBME. Anyone knows what happens if I screw up on NBME? Does that score, regardless of my choice, get sent to OS programs?

Thank you for your help!!!

Btw, I am only interested in 4 year programs, not those 6 year programs which requires minimum of 90.

How are my chances??? If risky, I will definitely study for NBME

Members don't see this ad.

You already know the answer...youve got a good chance if u apply to a lot of programs...if you want to guarantee a spot or be able to be more choosy then take the nbme

There are plenty of omfs residents with scores in the high 80s

Kind of a toss-up. You could waste a lot of time studying for a test that you really didn't need to take OR you could regret not taking a test that could have made you more competitive. If I were you I would communicate with the programs that you are interested in, and get their input.

Members don't see this ad :)
Studying for the NBME sucks man. I think an 89 is pretty good for mathcing from what I have read.

You do not have to report your NBME score if it doesn't come out as you wanted. So, you could always take it and they will never even know about it.

Galaxys,

I am in a very similar situation to you. I am a general dentist in the Army, graduated 2009, with stats very much like yours. I decided to apply to 4 yr OMS programs this year and did not take the NBME. I did do 3 externships/observerships this past year with some programs that I was interested in and had multiple interviews for this cycle. I'll find out in 2 weeks if my plan was successful.

Like DMDWTF stated - check out the programs that you are interested in, find out what they are looking for, and then possibly take some vacation time to complete an externship/observership with them. Nothing like some "face time" with a residency program for them to see that you are serious about pursuing the specialty. There's always the option of a 1 yr internship if you don't "match" the first time out.

Good luck with the process and you can "PM" me if you have any specific questions.

Hello, I know this question has been asked millions of times and I did use search function to get info.

Concerning the difference between 4 year and 6 year program, I heard that if one plans to do bread and butter oral surgery, there is barely no benefit of 6 year except that you get MD in the latter.

However, in case the bread and butter oral surgery gets screwed up, is it better to do 6 year OS + fellowship in ENT? I think this may take 7~8 years and is a long route around to do ENT procedure. What is you guys' take on this? Is MD + Fellowship for guys who are really interested in academics? or is it for guys who wants a safety net?

Thanks!!! I hope I made a sense.

People debate 4 vs 6 all the time, and as applicants, we debated it to death in our own heads. Just ****ing pick dude, you'll be happy with whatever you choose.

One Last Question guys.

Is it true that for 6 year program, they won't even look at applicants with board score below 90? Heard that med school tries to block out students under 90 to increase chance of USMLE pass rate.

One Last Question guys.

Is it true that for 6 year program, they won't even look at applicants with board score below 90? Heard that med school tries to block out students under 90 to increase chance of USMLE pass rate.

That is true for some 6yr programs, not all. Overall it's pretty random which ones have that rule, but I find that it's better correlated with the med school reputation than with OMFS program reputation.

Last edited:
That is true for some 6yr programs, not all. Overall it's pretty random which ones have that rule, but I find that it's better correlated with the med school reputation than with OMFS program reputation.

This is rarely true. The only program I have seen follow this is Louisville. Many applicant with below 90 on Part 1 are getting multiple 6 year interviews.

Something else worth noting is that there were apparently twice as many applicants to 4-yr programs compared to 6 this year... no way to tell whether or not this trend will continue in future cycles. So, the 6 yr programs might have more stringent cut-off standards, but you're likely going to have more competition going the 4 yr route. Quality vs quantity... pretty much a toss up either way you go.

It is the quality of the applicants that makes a spot competitive, not the number of them. To prove your point you will need to show me that the stats of those that match in 4-year programs are higher than the stats of those in a 6-year.

Look, we all know the 6 year guys are smarter. JUST MAKES SENSE, Y'ALL.

Look, we all know the 6 year guys are smarter. JUST MAKES SENSE, Y'ALL.
I know you're being entirely facetious so I'm gonna use your comment to prove a point to DMDWTF... you and I both have almost identical stats, yet I applied to mostly all 4 yr programs and you went all 6. There are plenty of guys who matched into great 4 yr programs that were top 5 in their class and had 95+ on Part I. And there are plenty of guys, like the OP, who had sub-90 Part I scores, great class rank, and a great resume who decide to only apply to 4-yr programs because of the "magic cut-off". So what pool of candidates is more competitive? It really is a toss up. Don't get all high and mighty just because you chose to go the 6-yr route... a lot of guys/gals who matched into 4-yr programs would've given you a run for your money in the applicant pool if they'd decided to go that route.

You made the point that I was making. Those that match in each probably have very similar stats. One having more applicants does not make it more competitive, unless they have more quality applicants. Nothing high and mighty here.