1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

MD & DO Chance for DO or MD?Canadian, CGPA 3.79, SGPA 3.73, MCAT 26, Research and Volunteer

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by kingston77, Aug 1, 2015.

1. kingston77

I am a Canadian applicant (non us citizen), middle eastern background. CGPA of 3.79, SGPA of 3.73. MCAT breakdown 9(PS)/7(verbal)/10(BS). More than 500 hours in research, conference presentation, 2 publications. DO shadowing, community volunteering and leadership positions.

What are my chances at MD or DO schools? Worth a shot to even apply, and which schools ?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Your MCAT is lethal for MD schools. There are a decent number of DO schools that accept internationals. Start your list with MSUCOM

4. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor
    Moderator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    Have you calculated your AACOMAS gpa's?

5. kingston77

I feel that taking the MCAT at this point in the application cycle for US schools would be too late. I'm an Ontario resident ( Ya, no advantage whatsoever). I was hoping that based on what I have, I would have a shot at DO schools. I feel I am competitive as a DO applicant (looking at the stats), just not sure how much being an international student weighs into the factor.If I have a good chance of getting accepted into a DO school then I would wait it out for this cycle and probably take the acceptance and run!

6. kingston77

Yes, the above is my AACOMAS GPA that was verified.

7. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor
    Moderator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    Try these:

AZCOM
    Campbell
    Ccom
    Kcumb
    Lecom
    Lmu
    Mucom
    Msucom
    Pcom
    Pcom ga
    Nova
    VCOM (all)
    Rowan
    Touro
    Unecom
    Tycom
    Kycom
    Western u
    Wcu

kingston77 likes this.
  8. NewHorizons

Classifieds Approved

-

#7 NewHorizons, Aug 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  9. kingston77

Honestly, I am not sure. If I believed the MCAT score would make a significant difference than I might be more willing. My cGPA for OMSAS is not competitive b/c of a low first year, so that only leaves me with schools that apply more emphasis or have special weighting on years 2-4. I applied to Ottawa this cycle but no luck. Even with 3.91 wGPA. I am just hoping that I am able to land an interview invite for DO schools. Might write it again and see if I can get anything from Mac....

10. NewHorizons

Classifieds Approved

-

#9 NewHorizons, Aug 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2016