Chance Me Please (Low GPA, High DAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adadental

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have a pretty low GPA but a solid DAT. I am really nervous about what schools are going to think of my GPA.

DAT:
AA-24
TS-25
PA-25

GPA: 3.36 (Upward Trend)
SciGPA: 3.19

Shadowing: 140Hrs (Two General Dentists)
Research Microbiology Lab: 400
Clinical Research: 2100 (current position is a research coordinator)
Good Extracurriculars but no volunteer work :unsure:

I applied to 13 schools and was in batch 1. Please tell me if you think I should send out another app! I am a NY resident.

NYU
Stony Brook
Columbia
UNC
Baylor
Boston University
Tufts
Rutgers
UCONN
UCSF
Creighton
Buffalo
UPENN

What do you guys think... Also do you know if any schools in particular are willing to look past a poor gpa for a good DAT?

Thanks for any advice! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello All,

I have a pretty low GPA but a solid DAT. I am really nervous about what schools are going to think of my GPA.

DAT:
AA-24
TS-25
PA-25

I applied to 13 schools and was in batch 1. Please tell me if you think I should send out another app! I am a NY resident.

NYU
Stony Brook
Columbia
UNC
Baylor
Boston University
Tufts
Rutgers
UCONN
UCSF
Creighton
Buffalo
UPENN

What do you guys think... Also do you know if any schools in particular are willing to look past a poor gpa for a good DAT?

Looks good

What's the problem?

Oh

I see... Missing confidence.....

Add that to the list

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah I'm freaking out slightly... I dropped the ball the first two years of college and spent the rest of the time making up for it... Thank you for looking and responding!

Do you think I should remove UNC and Baylor??? I have been searching SDN and it seems like the consensus is that they are super OOS unfriendly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Contrary to popular belief, not everything on the internet is true. Be wary of "free" advice, and do your own research.

If you're not sure whether you meet the minimum requirements of your school(s) of choice, visit their admissions websites or call them. During that time you can also seek an answer to your question about what priority they give OOS applicants. Good luck.

Yeah I'm freaking out slightly... I dropped the ball the first two years of college and spent the rest of the time making up for it... Thank you for looking and responding!

Do you think I should remove UNC and Baylor??? I have been searching SDN and it seems like the consensus is that they are super OOS unfriendly.

Well... UNC and Baylor are super OOS unfriendly. I haven't looked into Baylor, but NC law requires that ~82% of the class must be from North Carolina. Baylor probably has something similar. That doesn't mean you won't get in, but it's much less likely if you're coming from out of state.

Well... UNC and Baylor are super OOS unfriendly. I haven't looked into Baylor, but NC law requires that ~82% of the class must be from North Carolina. Baylor probably has something similar. That doesn't mean you won't get in, but it's much less likely if you're coming from out of state.
And TX law requires that 90% of the class must be from Texas.

Hello All,

DAT:
AA-24
TS-25
PA-25

NYU
Stony Brook
Columbia
UNC
Baylor
Boston University
Tufts
Rutgers
UCONN
UCSF
Creighton
Buffalo
UPENN

Have you considered either of the Midwesterns or even ASDOH? You can try New England University in Maine, Louisville in Kentucky and LECOM in Florida.

Whomp Whomp... Okay... So I can expect probable rejections from those...

Have you guys heard of schools that are willing to look past a low gpa for a high dat? I looked at all the stats in the books but it seems like most schools have similar gpas even if they have high DATs so its hard to see if any have a preference.

Whomp Whomp... Okay... So I can expect probable rejections from those...

Have you guys heard of schools that are willing to look past a low gpa for a high dat? I looked at all the stats in the books but it seems like most schools have similar gpas even if they have high DATs so its hard to see if any have a preference.
All the stats in the books are averages, so you never know. However, since the DAT is standardized, it's probably more likely that a great DAT score like yours could compensate for a less than average GPA than the other way around (a 4.0 GPA and an 18 DAT seems a little fishy). You can always call schools and ask!

Thanks all for your help!!! Good luck to those who are applying this cycle :)

I was recently at NOVA and they said they look past bad GPA as long as you prove yourself academically through your DAT

Reactions: 1 users
I would give it a try at Harvard. I know they look at GPA but your DAT score is worth trying :D! Just my opinion... haha

Reactions: 1 user
AMAZING DAT SCORE! That should really help you.
How much of an upward trend if you dont mind telling?

Regarding Baylor, TX law says that they must accept 90% Texans. Baylor also favors apps with lots of volunteering hours and those who have taken a lot of biology classes. You can apply if you want but it may be hard.

Other than that, I think you have a very solid app and I wish you the very best!

Thank you!

I don't mind...

So my first four semesters ranged from a ~3.0- ~3.1. My fifth was ~ 3.3. Then my next three ranged from ~ 3.7 - ~3.8.