General Admissions & OTCAS Chance Me Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dobber

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've realized that every year, people are a little worried about whether their stats are good enough to get into their schools of choice. So, I have decided to start this thread and kind of have people who are uncertain of their stats to evaluated by a bunch of other people who could give some advice in how to improve their applications.

I don't call myself an expert and neither does anyone else, and secretly, we all know the admissions process is kind of a crapshoot, but this is a good chance to bounce ideas and for those that have been accepted to give advice for those who are preparing to apply.

Members don't see this ad.

My advice:
Don't be afraid of applying schools in candidacy status. Since I have started considering OT as a career (3-4 years ago), the following programs went from candidacy to being fully accredited (for MOT and OTD):

- Stanbridge College
- West Coast University
- Adventist University of Health Sciences
- Augusta University
- Indiana State University
- University of Louisiana at Monroe
- University of Minnesota, Rochester Campus (branch of University of Minnesota)
- Rockhurst University
- Nazareth College
- Cabarrus College of Health Sciences
- Elizabethtown College
- University of Texas, Rio Grande Valley
- University of St. Augustine, Texas
- University of St. Augustine, California
- Northern Arizona University
- Huntington University
- Mary Baldwin College

These are schools that will be getting them this year, barring a disaster:

- Carroll University
- Le Moyne College
- Allen College
- MGH Institute of Health Professions
- Ohio State University (OTD)
- Duquesne University (OTD)

I've realized that every year, people are a little worried about whether their stats are good enough to get into their schools of choice. So, I have decided to start this thread and kind of have people who are uncertain of their stats to evaluated by a bunch of other people who could give some advice in how to improve their applications.

I don't call myself an expert and neither does anyone else, and secretly, we all know the admissions process is kind of a crapshoot, but this is a good chance to bounce ideas and for those that have been accepted to give advice for those who are preparing to apply.

Hi! Please forgive me if I miss something because this is my first time posting here. I would love any input into my chances... Gaining hours was tough for me because I work full-time and took two accelerated A+P classes this summer.

gre

quant - 156 (63rd percentile)
qual - 161 (88th percentile)
writing - 5.0 (93rd percentile)

gpa
overall undergrad = 3.8
prereqs = 3.91

recs
one supervisor at my clinical research assistant job, one former supervisor in the mental healthcare field, a volunteer coordinator OTR/L, and a stats professor from undergrad

hours
96 observation hours, the bulk (64) from volunteer/observation work in pediatrics. The other hours are from an outpatient hand therapy, and two inpatient hospitals working with adults

I worked for almost two years as a one on one aid and group counselor for children with ASD. I have spent the past year and a half working as a clinical research assistant at a private university. I do physiological measures regularly in addition to running protocol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Please forgive me if I miss something because this is my first time posting here. I would love any input into my chances... Gaining hours was tough for me because I work full-time and took two accelerated A+P classes this summer.

gre

quant - 156 (63rd percentile)
qual - 161 (88th percentile)
writing - 5.0 (93rd percentile)

gpa
overall undergrad = 3.8
prereqs = 3.91

recs
one supervisor at my clinical research assistant job, one former supervisor in the mental healthcare field, a volunteer coordinator OTR/L, and a stats professor from undergrad

hours
96 observation hours, the bulk (64) from volunteer/observation work in pediatrics. The other hours are from an outpatient hand therapy, and two inpatient hospitals working with adults

I worked for almost two years as a one on one aid and group counselor for children with ASD. I have spent the past year and a half working as a clinical research assistant at a private university. I do physiological measures regularly in addition to running protocol.

Hey! You have very strong stats across the board. Your number of hours is good and you got research experience too. You will definitely get in somewhere, just apply early

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! You have very strong stats across the board. Your number of hours is good and you got research experience too. You will definitely get in somewhere, just apply early
Thank you! I've submitted my apps and they are verified. I'm crossing my fingers!

I have a C on my application and one C+ :(

One is in medical terminology (not because it was a hard class, but because I forgot a lot of the deadlines). I'm scared for my apps because of these and I don't want to wait a whole year to apply again. Do you think there is a chance for me to get in?

Here's another advice: Go to public in-state school IF you get accepted. Unless it is a really bad program or you're wealthy. Employers do not care much where you went for college. That is what I am doing and I am very glad of my decision. Most MOT program barely give little or any scholarship. Do not rely on loans if you do not have to. Private or public....in the end, it's the same degree...

Now, experiences you get in college might be slightly different. This is just my opinion. If you are willing to shell out extra money, go for it. I wouldn't. I can just imagine what $1000 could buy me.

One is in medical terminology (not because it was a hard class, but because I forgot a lot of the deadlines). I'm scared for my apps because of these and I don't want to wait a whole year to apply again. Do you think there is a chance for me to get in?

I have 3 C+ on mine too. Chem 1, Calc, and Stats (retook). Plus a 3.43 OTCAS cum gpa, which is pretty low. You're fine

I suggest applying to some schools that don't require the classes you made C's in as a pre-req. That way it won't be weighted too heavily.

No where yet! Just applied to Salus, Temples, University of Sciences, Chatham, Hofstra, Wesley, NYU, Seton Hall, Columbia, Stockton. Still have to take my Gre in September

I was accepted into a program having not only a C, but a WF on my transcript which lead me to being academically suspended. Mind you, my program is newer so it wasn't nearly as competitive as some of these more established programs...but anything can happen if you're willing to put in the work and make sacrifices to become an OT.

I was accepted into a program having not only a C, but a WF on my transcript which lead me to being academically suspended. Mind you, my program is newer so it wasn't nearly as competitive as some of these more established programs...but anything can happen if you're willing to put in the work and make sacrifices to become an OT.

Which program was that?

Members don't see this ad :)
No where yet! Just applied to Salus, Temples, University of Sciences, Chatham, Hofstra, Wesley, NYU, Seton Hall, Columbia, Stockton. Still have to take my Gre in September

Let me know which ones you get into!

I've got an F, a D, and multiple withdrawals on mine and I got an interview at all the schools I applied to that did interviews. Most good schools are understanding if they're not in pre reqs, especially if they occurred early on in the cycle.

Hey, Can you PM me the classes you failed? We'll get you into OT school lol

Hello,
Has anyone applied to Allen college for fall 2017? Or know anything about the program?
Thanks

My advice:
Don't be afraid of applying schools in candidacy status. Since I have started considering OT as a career (3-4 years ago), the following programs went from candidacy to being fully accredited (for MOT and OTD):

- Stanbridge College
- West Coast University
- Adventist University of Health Sciences
- Augusta University
- Indiana State University
- University of Louisiana at Monroe
- University of Minnesota, Rochester Campus (branch of University of Minnesota)
- Rockhurst University
- Nazareth College
- Cabarrus College of Health Sciences
- Elizabethtown College
- University of Texas, Rio Grande Valley
- University of St. Augustine, Texas
- University of St. Augustine, California
- Northern Arizona University
- Huntington University
- Mary Baldwin College

These are schools that will be getting them this year, barring a disaster:

- Carroll University
- Le Moyne College
- Allen College
- MGH Institute of Health Professions
- Ohio State University (OTD)
- Duquesne University (OTD)

Hi Dobber,
I've been looking at some schools that are in the late stage of being accredited but I'm still unclear on the implications for sitting in for the OT exam. I thought that in order to take the certification exam one had to graduate from an accredited school. If you can clarify at which point one can take the exam, please do! For example, if one is in a 3-year program and as long as the school is accredited before graduation, can one sit in for the exam?

EDIT:

I just got off the phone with AOTA and I'm finally clear on the process. The final review is usually done 6 months before the first class graduates...that means that the very first cohort is the class with the biggest risk.

Last edited:
University: Stony Brook University
Major: Health Science and Sociology
Overall GPA: 3.4 OTCAS
Pre-Req GPA: 3.2-3.7 depending on school
GRE:
158 Verbal
153 Quantitative (previously 148)
5.0 Writing (previously 3.5)

Extra-Curric: Internship early intervention preschool, various positions in a national sorority including Executive board, Out of State student mentor, English Pals, Emerging Leaders, Various academic awards and a Merit scholarship

Volunteer: 20 Hospital NICU/PICU, 90 Early intervention preschool

Applying: Stony Brook, Sacred Heart, NYU, LIU Brooklyn, Rush, Touro Bay Shore, Possibly Downstate but I heard it's almost impossible to get in. LIU is my first choice

Acceptances:
Rejections:
Interviews:

Last time I applied to Temple, Stony Brook, Sacred Heart, NOVA MOT and Philadelphia. I got interviews to Temple, Stony, NOVA and SHU (Waitlisted to all except Stony) and denied from Philadelphia. My advisor told me that my biggest mistake was waiting until the end of December to apply. I will have my application submitted by the 20th of this month. I also got my GRE scores significantly higher than they were as well as acquired a few more hours. I'm feeling very hopeful about this cycle, but will also be applying for a Sp.Ed Masters as a fallback just in case.

Hi Dobber,
I've been looking at some schools that are in the late stage of being accredited but I'm still unclear on the implications for sitting in for the OT exam. I thought that in order to take the certification exam one had to graduate from an accredited school. If you can clarify at which point one can take the exam, please do! For example, if one is in a 3-year program and as long as the school is accredited before graduation, can one sit in for the exam?

EDIT:

I just got off the phone with AOTA and I'm finally clear on the process. The final review is usually done 6 months before the first class graduates...that means that the very first cohort is the class with the biggest risk.

Hey guys! I am from Maryland right outside of Washington, D.C., I went to University of South Carolina, majored in Biology, graduated with a 3.7, and got a great score on the Dental Admission Test. I was pre-dental all of undergrad and while I was applying to dental schools, I worked as a dental assistant. Long story short, I obviously realized I did not want to be a dentist. So by the time I figured out that Occupational Therapy was my passion, I had a limited time to get OT observation hours, take the GRE, finish pre-reqs for OT school that I did not need for dental school, get recommendation letters, and submit my applications to OTCAS. I ended up working in a PT clinic as a tech while I was getting all of this done. I think I had about 5-10 hours total of actually shadowing an OT, however, I had worked with children with autism using ABA for years, I worked as a tutor for people at a community college with disabilities ranging from mild ADHD to a student that had mitochondrial myopathy. She was deaf (but had cochlear implants), low vision, complete loss of function in her lower extremities (paraplegia), and limited upper extremity function. I was involved in a lot of volunteer and other extracurricular activities in college, and I was awarded a summer research fellowship in a Biochemistry lab at NIH the summer after my sophomore year. I got a pretty good grade on the GRE, and I was told that my personal statement was extremely unique and well written.

I applied to Towson, Howard, Temple, NYU, LIU, and Le Moyne, just barely meeting all of their deadlines. I don’t remember exactly which ones rejected me, but I do remember Towson told me that they didn’t even look at my application because I did not meet their required observation hours. I got an interview with Le Moyne, and honestly, I almost didn’t take it because it was my last choice.

I am so glad I ended up doing that interview. I am currently in my Spring semester of my first year at Le Moyne. It is truly the best thing that could have happened to me. I finally feel like I’m learning things that will help change the world. It is very non-traditional. My advisor and favorite teacher is a DPT, another favorite teacher is an anatomist at Upstate Hospital. There is a focus on neuroscience and mental health, and a push to make our place in primary health care. We go out in the community and work with various populations for fieldwork during the first semester. Most other programs just observe during their level 1 FW, but we got to do a lot more hands on work with ours which was fun. For the second and third semester you'll get two FW rotations at different types of sites to expose you to all of the different types of setting OTs work in. The professors are really cool and they're always willing to go out of their way to make sure everyone succeeds. Lots of things to do around the city like the NY state fair, there's always bars, school activities, and you'll probably end up hanging out with your classmates/my classmates most of the time. Our director is great and she's written a lot of OT curriculums so she definitely has the experience. We were recently officially accredited, with flying colors.

I just wanted to let you guys know that if you get an interview at any school, you should see what the school is asking from you, what they see in you. Because I quickly learned that Le Moyne valued my various experiences, and I could be very honest about all the twists and turns that led me to OT. Other schools were quick to dismiss me because of my dental background but they actually saw a lot of significance in my unique experiences. Let me know if you have any questions!

Reactions: 2 users
Hello,
Has anyone applied to Allen college for fall 2017? Or know anything about the program?
Thanks

Sorry holly OT, I know this is late, but I recently applied to Allen college. They scheduled my interview a week after receiving it, and was accepted within a few days. At the time, they only had 3 seats remaining.

I also know they are now fully accredited

Anyone want to give me their opinions? I'll be applying starting the July cycle, so entry in 2018.

Syracuse University
GPA: 3.5ish
Pre-req- around a 3.7-3.8 depending on the school, will probably be bumped up when I finish up the last one
GRE: Taking it in May, started studying in January

Shadowing hours: just started SNF, will do around 30; hand therapy 30; school 30; community clinic 20; outpatient rehab clinic 30 - around 150 total when I apply

Activities/Jobs/Extracurrics
- Nanny for child with autism-paid
- Peer Mentor for a program that works with college students who have autism- paid
- Direct Support Professional for individual with autism- paid
- Social Work Department Student Assistant -paid

- Research Assistant at a VA hospital Center for Integrated Healthcare

- Philanthropy Coordinator for my sorority
- social media committee for my sorority
- Dean's Team (helps freshman opening weekend and talks to prospective students)
- Club that goes to high poverty middle schools to talk about healthy behaviors and choices

Applying to:
- Le Moyne
- Ithaca
- WUSTL MOT
- TWU
- Eastern Kentucky

Maybes:
- D'Youville
- Shenandoah (uncertain about the hybrid format)
- Creighton

Anyone want to give me their opinions? I'll be applying starting the July cycle, so entry in 2018.

Syracuse University
GPA: 3.5ish
Pre-req- around a 3.7-3.8 depending on the school, will probably be bumped up when I finish up the last one
GRE: Taking it in May, started studying in January

Shadowing hours: just started SNF, will do around 30; hand therapy 30; school 30; community clinic 20; outpatient rehab clinic 30 - around 150 total when I apply

Activities/Jobs/Extracurrics
- Nanny for child with autism-paid
- Peer Mentor for a program that works with college students who have autism- paid
- Direct Support Professional for individual with autism- paid
- Social Work Department Student Assistant -paid

- Research Assistant at a VA hospital Center for Integrated Healthcare

- Philanthropy Coordinator for my sorority
- social media committee for my sorority
- Dean's Team (helps freshman opening weekend and talks to prospective students)
- Club that goes to high poverty middle schools to talk about healthy behaviors and choices

Applying to:
- Le Moyne
- Ithaca
- WUSTL MOT
- TWU
- Eastern Kentucky

Maybes:
- D'Youville
- Shenandoah (uncertain about the hybrid format)
- Creighton

Your stats look great, but I would recommend more hours depending on your GRE score.