Chance my daughter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BoolaHI

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Senior at UCLA, major bio-chemistry, lowest grade in college A-, cumulative GPA 3.9. Worked three summers at a dental clinic for underserved minorities.

Total Science 25, AA 25, Quant reasoning 27, O Chem 29

Also relevant factors Native American.

Her top choices are UCLA, UCSF, U Washington, Penn, Harvard and Michigan. Are these realistic choices, or does she need more middle tier schools? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
She will likely get into the schools you listed, but just add one “safety” school in case. Anything is possible. And have her submit early.

I work under the notion there’s no such thing as safety schools.

If you want you can add more schools that you and her have discussed she’s interested in. For example you have Upenn and Harvard but not Columbia. I would apply there as well.
But with the credentials she has now, she Definitely has a chance at those schools.

Senior at UCLA, major bio-chemistry, lowest grade in college A-, cumulative GPA 3.9. Worked three summers at a dental clinic for underserved minorities.

Her top choices are UCLA, UCSF, U Washington, Penn, Harvard and Michigan. Are these realistic choices, or does she need more middle tier schools? Thanks in advance!

She has the stats to get in anywhere. If she’s applying this cycle, apply right now. I would add a safety school just in case the interviews don’t go accordingly. She will most definitely have a tremendous shot at UCLA though, and it’s a wonderful institution.

I work under the notion there’s no such thing as safety schools.

If you want you can add more schools that you and her have discussed she’s interested in. For example you have Upenn and Harvard but not Columbia. I would apply there as well.
But with the credentials she has now, she Definitely has a chance at those schools.
Thanks, that’s sound advice. And I think she might now add Columbia, as she previously mentioned it, but thought the list was too too heavy.

She has the stats to get in anywhere. If she’s applying this cycle, apply right now. I would add a safety school just in case the interviews don’t go accordingly. She will most definitely have a tremendous shot at UCLA though, and it’s a wonderful institution.
Thank you, I think the plan is to apply next cycle. Most certainly, with costs being a large feature, both of the UC schools will be on her short list.

She will likely get into the schools you listed, but just add one “safety” school in case. Anything is possible. And have her submit early.
Thank you. At present, the plan is to apply for the next cycle. But, she will add a more traditional safety school.

She should be attending the cheapest school possible..

Reactions: 3 users
She should be attending the cheapest school possible..
Thanks. Because she passed on going to a couple of Ivy schools for undergrad and received an all-inclusive merit scholarship, we actually saved that amount and let it ride in investments for the last four years and so there is nice nest egg there for her. That said, being economical and choosing the best school for her interests are now the priority—towards that specific end, obviously the two UC schools are near the top of her short list.

Thanks. Because she passed on going to a couple of Ivy schools for undergrad and received an all-inclusive merit scholarship, we actually saved that amount and let it ride in investments for the last four years and so there is nice nest egg there for her. That said, being economical and choosing the best school for her interests are now the priority—towards that specific end, obviously the two UC schools are near the top of her short list.

Being economical is much more important than her school of interest...

Reactions: 1 user
Being economical is much more important than her school of interest...
Thank you. No doubt we are trying to be economical, but we also have the pleasant problem of not previously spending down on our 529 account for undergrad, so we have an amount that could cover all four years of tuition books and supplies at both of the UC schools.

The post seems very rhetorical...
Your daughter goes to UCLA (#2 or #3 public school in the nation aka a good school), she has a 3.9, a 25AA DAT, she's given back to underrepresented communities AND she's Native American?! You know she will get accepted...

Also, the info you gave us is just empirical data that will get your daughters foot in the door (an interview) and with all those stats she will get an interview somewhere...

The real question is, will her PS "WOW" adcoms enough to accept her into one of their programs.

The post seems very rhetorical...
Your daughter goes to UCLA (#2 or #3 public school in the nation aka a good school), she has a 3.9, a 25AA DAT, she's given back to underrepresented communities AND she's Native American?! You know she will get accepted...

Also, the info you gave us is just empirical data that will get your daughters foot in the door (an interview) and with all those stats she will get an interview somewhere...

The real question is, will her PS "WOW" adcoms enough to accept her into one of their programs.
Actually, I don’t know: thus my question to folks with much more actual and intimate knowledge. That said, from a pure data stand point I know she will get in somewhere, but as her concentration of schools are ones that are near the top, I wanted to get a better vantage and feel whether these are actually realistic application goals. We (our family) does have some insight to medical education application, as my wife is a physician and oldest daughter is in medical school. However, we don’t have a great deal of background specific to dental schools.....

Will you be walking her to her first class in ds?

Reactions: 6 users
Will you be walking her to her first class in ds?
No, but the sarcasm is very well received. Rare does one get to receive such erudite witticism on a blog, much appreciated.

Reactions: 1 users

Consider adding UNC, second in world and higher in rank than all Ivy’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
There is no such thing as a safety school when it comes to applying to dental school. Somebody with the best stats can still easily be rejected from every school, yet somebody with terrible stats can get accepted to a top tier school. Admissions is so arbitrary, and you really cannot predict how they evaluate applicants.