Chance of getting in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sandistin34

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a fairly low overall GPA of 3.05 and still have the rest of this semester's classes (Physics I (a retake), Orgo 2, Stats 2 (for my major of psychology, last class for the major), and Microbiology). I'll most likely do well with B's in Orgo II w/ lab and Physics w/o lab and possibly A's with Stats 2 and Microbiology. When I first realized I wanted to enter pharmacy after my sophomore, 2nd, year of college, I had spent my first year pitifully attempting to take on too much at once as a pre-med/nutrition major and damaging my GPA (C+ in gen chem, D- in gen chem 2 that I retook last year and got a B- in) and the second year with a new major of psychology and taking only courses relevant to that major. I'm now in my senior year with this fall semester (classes listed above) and spring semester to go that includes Physics II w/ lab, Biochem, Physiology, and possibly another microbiology class with a lab this time as a lot of schools require the lab.

I took my PCAT over the summer and scored a 98% composite, which I'm really hoping is going to let me get my foot in the door for most places considering my lower-end GPA.

As for experience, I've volunteered at the local hospital for a year in the central pharmacy (only like three hours a week), I'm a member of my school's pre-pharmacy society, and I worked last summer (appx three months at 27 hours a week) in a community pharmacy as a clerk and have that employer as a reference for my applications. Presently I'm volunteering in a muscular dystrophy facility around five hours a week doing data analysis.

Assuming I do well in my courses this semester and next, is there any hope for somewhere like University of Florida (or anywhere really, just putting my first choice as a point of reference in case anyone from here sees this)? Let me know what you all think, please! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

When I was applying, UF rcommended a 3.5+ GPA and an 80+ PCAT for OOS students.If you don't live in Florida then you'll be hard-pressed to get in there even with your stats. If you do live in Florida, then that's a different story. Regardless, you'll get in somewhere. Pharmacy school is not that hard to get into these days.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

I have a fairly low overall GPA of 3.05 and still have the rest of this semester's classes (Physics I (a retake), Orgo 2, Stats 2 (for my major of psychology, last class for the major), and Microbiology). I'll most likely do well with B's in Orgo II w/ lab and Physics w/o lab and possibly A's with Stats 2 and Microbiology. When I first realized I wanted to enter pharmacy after my sophomore, 2nd, year of college, I had spent my first year pitifully attempting to take on too much at once as a pre-med/nutrition major and damaging my GPA (C+ in gen chem, D- in gen chem 2 that I retook last year and got a B- in) and the second year with a new major of psychology and taking only courses relevant to that major. I'm now in my senior year with this fall semester (classes listed above) and spring semester to go that includes Physics II w/ lab, Biochem, Physiology, and possibly another microbiology class with a lab this time as a lot of schools require the lab.

I took my PCAT over the summer and scored a 98% composite, which I'm really hoping is going to let me get my foot in the door for most places considering my lower-end GPA.

As for experience, I've volunteered at the local hospital for a year in the central pharmacy (only like three hours a week), I'm a member of my school's pre-pharmacy society, and I worked last summer (appx three months at 27 hours a week) in a community pharmacy as a clerk and have that employer as a reference for my applications. Presently I'm volunteering in a muscular dystrophy facility around five hours a week doing data analysis.

Assuming I do well in my courses this semester and next, is there any hope for somewhere like University of Florida (or anywhere really, just putting my first choice as a point of reference in case anyone from here sees this)? Let me know what you all think, please! Thanks!

Your chance of getting in: 99.99%...seriously. Just don't limit your application arena; apply to about 3-4 different schools.

When I was applying, UF rcommended a 3.5+ GPA and an 80+ PCAT for OOS students.If you don't live in Florida then you'll be hard-pressed to get in there even with your stats. If you do live in Florida, then that's a different story. Regardless, you'll get in somewhere. Pharmacy school is not that hard to get into these days.

Exactly.

Thanks all! I do live in-state; I actually attend University of Florida currently. You eased my mind plenty.