chance of getting into an MD school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yuhamanda

Reaction score
As of now I stand at a 3.0 gpa, and a first time score of 512 on MCAT, what are my chances of getting an MD/DO acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

What is your sGPA ? Where is your state of residence ? What are your ECs ? Any physician shadowing hours or clinical volunteering or employment hours with patient contact ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Zer for MD unless you have a massive rising trend.

Ditto for DO except at some of the newer schools.

And acceptance is 100% on you; we can only advise on chances for IIs.

Read this:
Good analysis, but what if I raise my score to a 517, which is the score I've been getting in full practice tests. How would that impact my chances at these schools?

Good analysis, but what if I raise my score to a 517, which is the score I've been getting in full practice tests. How would that impact my chances at these schools?
That will merely highlight the discrepancies between the two stats.

A high MCAT will not salvage a poor GPA.

No med school is doing you any favors by admitting you if you're not going to be able to handle the curriculum.

That will merely highlight the discrepancies between the two stats.

A high MCAT will not salvage a poor GPA.

No med school is doing you any favors by admitting you if you're not going to be able to handle the curriculum.
I did end up with a 4.0 in my last two years, if that helps??

You need more than a MCAT of 512 to be admitted to medical school. ECs are very important, especially with a low GPA. Also state of residence can matter.
Rising GPA trends are always good.

The schools that most likley reward reinvention are service loving, so bulk up your app in that regard.

But still, if you apply to med schools, target SMPs as insurance.

Without much doubt,

I know you will receive interviews at DO schools. Apply to all of them.

I also know that if you spend one year killing an SMP and earning 3.7+ GPA (this is really risky), you will be eligible for nearly all MD programs.

@Goro can confirm that you are a good candidate for SMP programs. but if you screw up the SMP (3.3 GPA and under), your situation is the reverse - the likelihood of getting interviews will be cut in half, or worse.

Reactions: 1 user