MD Chances: 3.91 GPA 28 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meupatdoes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Suggest a retake and get > 30 with 10/10/10. If not, try all the low tier MD schools and any DO program

Hi All!

Science GPA: 3.91
GPA: 3.92
MCAT: 28 (10-9-9)

Currently in grad school at a top public health university; my thesis involves health promotion tools in a developing country (will be in developing country for my research)

Graduated summa cum laude from undergrad (top 2%)
Phi Beta Kappa
Highest distinction in my major
Leadership distinction from my university

TA/Workshop Leader for Orgo 1, Orgo 2, Biology, Chemistry 2, and public health
Internship with local health department
Worked in a health promotions office for 3 years
Spearheaded a public health initiative on my campus and worked on it for 3 years
Extremely involved in student life; I was on the e-board for 5 clubs; spoke at events for parents and alumni
Other community service involvement

Clinical Experience: over 1500 hours as a college EMT with leadership and teaching experience with that campus EMS agency, volunteered as an EMT in a city for 2 years, volunteered in hospital since I was 14

200 hours of shadowing/clinical experience in Ecuador, plus infectious disease control experience on dengue and malaria

Worked as a health assistant for summer program

Studied abroad in undergrad in developing country and conducted research in hospitals; presented findings at national conference. Also as part of my study abroad term, I volunteered in the hospital.

Other Research Experience: public health research at university for 3 years and was summer research fellow for one summer

Additional Information: Family Caregiver for 3 years, currently finalist in national fellowship

--

I understand that my MCAT is quite low. I unfortunately am unable to retake it before this upcoming cycle. I am quite torn between applying this cycle with a low MCAT or taking another year and trying to improve it? I would hate to take another year and not improve it a lot. Do you think that I have good chances at a mid tier school?

Also, would you recommend any specific schools? I have a long list, yet I was just interested in other people's experiences with high GPA and low MCAT.

Thank you!

@Goro which can be considered as lower-tier? I have access to the MSAR, but the ranges/state for most schools all very similar to each other. How else can you tell?

Members don't see this ad :)
Lower tier to me means those schools with a wider range of acceptees' GPAs and MCAT scores (compare U AR vs UCSF, for example), and lower avg scores (like MCAT scores that avg 30-31, vs the national avg of 32).

@Goro which can be considered as lower-teir? me have access to the MSAR, but the ranges/state for most schools all very similar to each other. How else can you tell?