Chances/advice for a non trad below average joe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Guts Man

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Just looking for some input and possible guidance regarding application and next steps -

- GPA is poor. 3.46 cGPA, 3.0 sGPA, 498 MCAT ---> 507 MCAT. My GPA excuse without getting into it: my sophomore year I stupidly overloaded with a family crisis and had a straight upward trend from then on. 1.5 years out of college and have taken 8 credits informal post bacc upper division science so far with A's.

- West coast resident (non California) and planning on at least applying state MD (1) and DO. 1st generation dude, URM.

- Some EC's.
- 800 hours clinical research at the MD school, honor's research thesis cowritten (unpublished) with the MD school.
- 2000+ hours work in clinic / shadowing (medical scribe, current) at the MD school across 6 clinics with comfortable letters of rec from 4 of the doctors
- 'champion athlete' 4 yrs varsity athletics
- 1 year of involvement with a public health club
- currently doing clinical research project with MD and a DO student that will likely be published
- I also doot an instrument in a community band

I've looked at the MSAR and the lowest range is about 3.22 sGPA at the MD school. I've calculated it out and it appears that about 6-7 more science classes would get me in that range and pull me up to about a 3.53 cGPA. I am currently working full time/supporting myself, so an SMP is not really feasible as the expenditure (I've heard) is very high.

Would you all recommend applying this cycle or holding off? Or any other general advice?

Thanks for the consideration -

Members don't see this ad.

You are competitive for the majority of DO schools with your stats so if you apply to at least 10 you should receive several interviews. There is no guarantee that you will be accepted to your state MD school if you apply a year from now even if your GPA improves.