Chances after 2 C's :/

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

davincifan101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I am moving onto my Sophomore year and 1st semester did not go so well. I improved ALOT 2nd semester though.

Here are my grades:
Fresh 1st Semester:
HIST 112: C+
Chem 101: C-
Bio 101: A
Bio Lab: B+
ANTH 102: B+
CHEM Lab: B-
CALC 1: B-

GPA: 2.824

Fresh 2nd Semester:
BIO 102: A
BIO Lab: A
UNIV 102: A
CHEM Lab: A-
PHIL 164: A-
PSYC 338: A-
CHEM 102: B+
CALC 2: B

GPA: 3.593; CUM GPA: 3.219

As you can see, I really improved 2nd semester. I had a terrible (and I'm not exaggerating) professor for Chem 102. He was on academic probation because he failed 1/2 of the students.

What are my chances with 2 C's? My academic rigor is strong and next year I am taking Orgo, Physics, Cell Bio, and Philosophy of Mind courses. I expect to do just as well, if not better, than 2nd semester. I also have shadowed and volunteer at a hospital and intend on doing research next summer as well as an internship program this winter. I am really passionate about medicine and hope that my grades don't distract them...

Members don't see this ad.

To be frank, no one will give a sh** about the first semester of your freshman year, as long as you continue your wonderful upward trend. If you feel you have a firm grasp of general chemistry, don't worry about the grade. Later in your undergraduate program, you should be taking much more difficult classes than gen chem. Do well in those and everything will be raindrops and bubblegum.

yes! thank god. I was really worried because I was used to getting all A's in high school and I knew chemistry so it really bothered me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, you'll have to retake the C- because the prerequisite at most schools is just a plain "C," so you'd be deficient by 1 class. And what's the other thing? History? Pfft. Come on.

Hello everyone!
I am moving onto my Sophomore year and 1st semester did not go so well. I improved ALOT 2nd semester though.

Here are my grades:
Fresh 1st Semester:
HIST 112: C+
Chem 101: C-
Bio 101: A
Bio Lab: B+
ANTH 102: B+
CHEM Lab: B-
CALC 1: B-

GPA: 2.824

Fresh 2nd Semester:
BIO 102: A
BIO Lab: A
UNIV 102: A
CHEM Lab: A-
PHIL 164: A-
PSYC 338: A-
CHEM 102: B+
CALC 2: B

GPA: 3.593; CUM GPA: 3.219

As you can see, I really improved 2nd semester. I had a terrible (and I'm not exaggerating) professor for Chem 102. He was on academic probation because he failed 1/2 of the students.

What are my chances with 2 C's? My academic rigor is strong and next year I am taking Orgo, Physics, Cell Bio, and Philosophy of Mind courses. I expect to do just as well, if not better, than 2nd semester. I also have shadowed and volunteer at a hospital and intend on doing research next summer as well as an internship program this winter. I am really passionate about medicine and hope that my grades don't distract them...

You are doing ok. Try to get more A's in your upcoming semesters.

Actually, you'll have to retake the C- because the prerequisite at most schools is just a plain "C," so you'd be deficient by 1 class. And what's the other thing? History? Pfft. Come on.

Ahhhh, didn't see the minus. My school does +/- for A's and B's, but not for C's, so I overlooked that. Triage is right, you'll have to retake. Although that might be a pain in the ass, what I said earlier still stands.

First of all, you are going to come across profs who do fail half the students. They're called weed out classes or simply just hard classes.

You're doing fine though. It seems like the first semester is the hardest with a quick rebound in the second o_O at least that's what I did. If you continue the good work those C's won't be an issue...although you might have to retake the C-. If you do retake it, I'd wait for awhile (assuming you can continue in the series) because you'll have a better basis for how to study, what to study and just the info in general later on.

take it easy, kid.

flipping out isn't gonna solve ANYTHING, trust me. What you need to do is take this disappointment and mold it into an energy that's effective and productive. Improvement - it's what stands out in ANY application, to ANYwhere.

But honestly, do not freak out about C's. I had a similar trend in my freshman year semesters. Two C's, first C's of my life at that. It was hell, but everyone who has a drive to do better, will. As long as you have an upward trend and you DO NOT make the same mistakes you did before, you'll be fine.

cheers.