Chances (as a Canadian)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for contributing to the chances threads, but my position is a little bit different and I'd appreciate some insight (esp. if you were accepted as a Canadian).

I go to the University of Toronto, junior, majoring in Biochemistry & Genetics and will be applying this summer. My stats are below, I won't list my EC's but just assume they are good (including shadowing), and a good personal statement as well as strong references.

oGPA: 3.51
Science w/o BCP: 3.84
BCP: 3.47

DAT:

21AA, 22TS, 20PAT

Ideally if I finish this semester strongly, I would be at a 3.55 oGPA, and everything else about the same. Since I'm in biochemistry, I've done a lot of biochemistry focused courses, statistics, calculus, and almost all of the "recommended" courses.

Any insight/information would be really helpful, thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

I think your chances are pretty low (basically zero) if any university calculates your gpa out to be 3.55. I haven't heard of anyone getting in with anything less than a 3.7. My friend applied with a 3.45/25aa/27 reading/25 pat and he didn't even get an invite this year (he didn't apply to u of t though).

Research around and look at stats. For example, in UofT the stats are:

Mean Grade Point Average: 3.90

Mean DAT Scores: Academic Average (AA): 22
Perceptual Ability Test (PAT): 20

for the entry class of 2015

Your dat is about average/slightly below average for acceptances at various universities but your gpa is going to make things really tough for you. With that gpa I think your choice is 100% limited to in province universities and even then it's a long shot.

Last edited:
I think your chances are pretty low (basically zero) if any university calculates your gpa out to be 3.55. I haven't heard of anyone getting in with anything less than a 3.7. My friend applied with a 3.45/25aa/27 reading/25 pat and he didn't even get an invite this year (he didn't apply to u of t though).

Research around and look at stats. For example, in UofT the stats are:

Mean Grade Point Average: 3.90

Mean DAT Scores: Academic Average (AA): 22
Perceptual Ability Test (PAT): 20

for the entry class of 2015

Your dat is about average/slightly below average for acceptances at various universities but your gpa is going to make things really tough for you. With that gpa I think your choice is 100% limited to in province universities and even then it's a long shot.

I think you misread, or maybe I didn't make my self clear haha. I'm not looking to apply in Canada at all, because I know I have a 0% chance of getting in (even with one year dropped, I'd be at a 3.8). I meant as a Canadian applying to the U.S.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you misread, or maybe I didn't make my self clear haha. I'm not looking to apply in Canada at all, because I know I have a 0% chance of getting in (even with one year dropped, I'd be at a 3.8). I meant as a Canadian applying to the U.S.

I know 2 people personally who got in to university of minessota dental school with around a 3.4 as canadian citizen.

I think its doable. Just need some luck with it. I've seen people with lower stats get in as Canadian. Just apply broad to bunch of private schools.

Ahh sorry that's my bad. I have no idea about US schools but from what I've read on the forums you'd be in fine shape haha :D

Hey OP, I have a 3.3 BCP, 3.3 sGPA (I think.. can't remember exactly on this one), and 3.5 oGPA, with 180 hours of shadowing, great ECs, and a strong personal statement (I know this because I've always been told I write quite well and I also received positive feedback on it during interviews). My DAT score was also similar to yours but just slightly higher. I applied to 15 schools in the US just to cast a wide net, and I got three interviews and was also accepted to all three schools as well. I think you stand a pretty strong chance if the rest of your application is strong as you've said it is. Apply broadly and you'll be fine :)

Hey OP, I have a 3.3 BCP, 3.3 sGPA (I think.. can't remember exactly on this one), and 3.5 oGPA, with 180 hours of shadowing, great ECs, and a strong personal statement (I know this because I've always been told I write quite well and I also received positive feedback on it during interviews). My DAT score was also similar to yours but just slightly higher. I applied to 15 schools in the US just to cast a wide net, and I got three interviews and was also accepted to all three schools as well. I think you stand a pretty strong chance if the rest of your application is strong as you've said it is. Apply broadly and you'll be fine :)

Thank you, and congrats! Do you mind telling me what schools you got three interviews for?