This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

led_smith

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So for the 2017 cycle, I was interviewed at 2 schools (Wake Forest, and SUNY Upstate) and rejected everywhere except a WL at Wake Forest - still no reply. Basically, I talked to an adcom at SUNY Upstate who told me that I was rejected largely due to the fact that I neglected to disclose a disciplinary probation (from 2013) on my application. My pre-health adviser decided to include it in my committee letter and to never mention to me that there was an inconsistency. It was honestly just something I overlooked at the time. However, it likely looked to medical schools like I was intentionally trying to cover up a blemish. After I was waitlisted at Wake Forest, I sent them a 'Letter of Disclosure' detailing the events leading up to the resulting issue. I'm not looking to write a sob story or invite a pity party. I'm just building context. Of course, for this year's application, I've disclosed my probation and have accepting all accountability, I have mentioned the previous year's snafoo, and I have stated how I've grown since. Stats:

Biochemistry Major, Binghamton University, Class of 2016, Magna Cum Laude
cGPA: 3.75
sGPA: 3.8
January 2015, MCAT: 31 (The old MCAT is starting to get pushed out at some schools. I really don't think I can take it again. My school list below takes into account the earliest MCAT accepted from MSAR and only those schools with an acceptable MCAT of January 2015 are included.)

I have a good amount of EC's including about 200 hours of shadowing 5 MD's including the chair of pediatrics at UVA, over 150 hours as a pharmaceutical technician and various other clinical sites, about 400 hours doing basic science and clinical research (no published papers unfortunately), overseas experience in Bolivia, I've shadowed house calls, I've seen patients with the disease I was researching, I've had cumulative experience (ie. constant motif throughout my application) in rural healthcare issues and in pediatrics, and the piece de resistance a 1700 AmeriCorps position in direct patient support and healthcare access at the same location I volunteered at for about 100 hours as a pharmaceutical technician and SUNY Upstate Medical University Binghamton Clinical Campus.

I wrote my personal comment about my AmeriCorps position and how it ties into various Jewish family values. My grandfather was a physician who was involved in global/rural health, and went to wake forest (along with 3 aunts and uncles) and it partly centers around our relationship. It was mostly copied from an update letter I sent to schools mid-March or late-February. Finally, if I'm rejected from Wake Forest, I will be getting a Masters of Science in Nutrition from The Institute of Human Nutrition at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, which is a 1 year program focusing on both the biochemical and public health aspects of human nutrition. I added this info into the future coursework section. Other than that, I barely mention the program (although I mention several times that I am interested in public health, preventative medicine, nutrition, etc.).

School List:
Albany
Albert Einstein
BU
CA Northstate
Columbia P&S
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
Geisel
Jacobs @ Buffalo
Lewis Katz @ Temple
Quinnipiac
Rosalind Franklin
SUNY Upstate
Tulane
Universidad Central Del Caribe
UVA
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest

I asked reddit's pre-health subreddit about the school list. Three posts responded stating that my list seems top-heavy. Yet most of these schools were sorted by GPA from MSAR and picked from the low hanging fruit. So I don't know what else to do, if it really IS top-heavy.

What are my chances overall? What are my chances at these schools? What are my chances at Columbia? What are my chances at UVA (they only accept the MCAT post-April 2015, so I may have to pull some strings there)? What should I do to improve my chances? Anyone accepted after a similar situation?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see why you got called out for a top heavy list. You have only chosen 2 T20 schools. Columbia chances are going to be slim because of your MCAT, likewise for UVA. I think your chances at MD overall are very good, and likely the only thing that torpedoed your app was the IA.

I strongly doubt you'll be able to "pull strings" at UVA with the MCAT issue, given that test eligibility is a pretty cut and dry topic. Nobody is going to give you a free pass because you don't want to retake and the new exam is markedly different from the old.

Also be aware that CNU will bar you from taking out federal loans as they are a for-profit institution.

Reactions: 1 users
Of you list
I suggest the following:

School List:
Albany
Albert Einstein
BU
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
Geisel
Jacobs @ Buffalo (ONLY if you're a New Yorker)
Lewis Katz @ Temple
Quinnipiac
Rosalind Franklin
SUNY Upstate
Tulane
Universidad Central Del Caribe (only if you speak fluent Spanish)
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest

ADD: DO schools that are OK with your MCAT date. Beggars can't be choosy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thank you for being forthcoming regarding the failure to mention the IA.
Many IA recipients do not realize that, even if the the record has been expunged, letter writers don't know this.
IA's are likely to come out in an attempt to help the applicant, not to harm them.
They should always be disclosed. I hope this cycle works out for you.

Hi there,

I'm a reapplicant with similar stats (30 MCAT from 1/2015 and 3.74 GPA). I wanted to let you know that some of the schools you listed actually do not accept the old MCAT. I called a bunch of admissions offices to confirm MCAT eligibility yesterday and this morning:

School List:
Albany
Albert Einstein
BU
CA Northstate
Columbia P&S
Drexel --> DOES NOT ACCEPT
Eastern Virginia
Geisel
Jacobs @ Buffalo
Lewis Katz @ Temple --> DOES NOT ACCEPT
Quinnipiac
Rosalind Franklin --> DOES NOT ACCEPT
SUNY Upstate
Tulane
Universidad Central Del Caribe
UVA --> DOES NOT ACCEPT
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest

Just thought I'd let you know. Best of luck!