Chances at CA school? URM.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baconator123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, so I finally decided to post something on this forum. I'm a hispanic (mexican) applicant from CA. I will be applying next application cycle and should have a cGPA: 3.6, sGPA: 3.5; and I recently retook the MCAT. First time around, I panicked and got a 24 (PS: 8, VR: 7, BS: 9); But this time, I was averaging a 30 on my practice tests, and even got a 34 on my last test before the real thing. The real exam felt really easy and similar to my last practice exam, especially the PS and VR. So I'm predicting a score of PS: 12, VR: 10, BS: 8/9/10. So at least anything from 30-32.

I believe I have pretty good EC's:
-Pharmacy Tech at home-town hospital
-Registration Clerk at home-town hospital
-Billing Clerk at Neurosurgeons Office
-Typical Hospital Volunteering
-Marching Band Consultant
-Activities Leader at an after-school elementary program
-Research (will be starting this November)

Anyways, if my MCAT score comes out to at least a 30, do I have a shot at MD medical schools in Cali? How about MD schools in general? I am not considering applying to DO schools, so I really want to know what my chances are at MD schools. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

** I would like to know if I have a shot for any MD schools? Outside of CA, which schools are oos friendly?

** I would like to know if I have a shot for any MD schools? Outside of CA, which schools are oos friendly?
University of Illinois is very friendly to Hispanics and often gives some nice scholarships that make it affordable.

Without a solid MCAT score, your primary question on chances can't be answered, but you can look at sector9's "Success Rate" sticky at the top of this forum for your chances based on ethnicity and various MCAT score outcomes.

If you don't have some regular nonmedical community service, I suggest you find a weekly gig that helps those in need. Maintaining ties with your ethnic community is also helpful, as are Teaching, formal physician shadowing, and peer Leadership.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, I forgot to list them but I shadowed a Family phyiscian and a neurosurgeon. Also, I've been involved with my community through a youth chamber of commerce group and assisting all of my town's high school marching bands.

If you don't have some regular nonmedical community service, I suggest you find a weekly gig that helps those in need. Maintaining ties with your ethnic community is also helpful.

This. Just "being" UIM is nice but a commitment to service is way better.
If you are not fluent in Spanish now is the time to learn.

Add Ohio State.

All of my work experience and community service has been done in my local community; a predominant Hispanic community of about 85%+. I am also fluent in Spanish, as the positions I have had required me in being so. So I'm not just listing that I'm URM, I've shown a commitment to my community and plan to continue on doing so. In fact, my personal statement will be focusing on my community and how I plan to return to my community.

All of my work experience and community service has been done in my local community; a predominant Hispanic community of about 85%+. I am also fluent in Spanish, as the positions I have had required me in being so. So I'm not just listing that I'm URM, I've shown a commitment to my community and plan to continue on doing so. In fact, my personal statement will be focusing on my community and how I plan to return to my community.
Perfect. Remember that student members of the committee will advocate for you if this is evident. Not so much if lacking...

Alright then, that sounds great! I don't know if anyone is familiar with CA schools, but what do you think my chances are there?

The California schools can be hard to predict, as many of them are looking for very different criteria and there are always students who get in with stats "below their average" (or situations with high/low GPA/MCAT vice versa).

I know people who got in with "decent" ECs/GPAs, but 29-32 MCATs to all of the UCs, including SF, and have friends with 35+ who got flat out rejected pre-secondary.

You'll never know what the AdComs think of you until you apply though. Dream big, right? :D

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, I bombed the mcat the first time, but I'm pretty sure I'll get at least a 30 this time around.

Also, what do you guys think about DO schools? So far I haven't considered them because I've heard it's hard to gain residencies in specialized fields. Does anyone know about this? Because I believe I can still apply to DO schools this year since I have my aacomas verified.