Chances at matching?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PedsHopeful17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I know this question has probably been beaten to death, but just another student here trying to figure out realistically (even though I have a bad gut feeling about this) what my chances are at getting a Pediatric Residency this coming year (2017 Match).

I am a Caribbean IMG, from Canada. Would have to get my J1 or H1B. Currently finishing up my 4th year electives. My clinical grades have been all A's except B in IM and C in FM (first rotation). Don't know how much they scrutinize basic science grades, but my GPA was pretty high for that.

Step 1: 210, first time
Step 2 CK: Won't be able to take until November
Step 2 CS: Pass, first time

As you can see, my Step 1 score isn't the most competitive, and not having my CK score out until late into the application season, I'm not too sure how this is looking for me. I have my letters from IM and Peds and also one each from Department Chairs, no Program Directors though.

Anybody have any insight? Or anyone that's been in a similar situation that could give some sort of guiding light? Anything would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your Step 1 score alone would not preclude you from matching. I don't know what the average Step 1 for matching pediatrics residents is (I assume the ACGME publishes this data somewhere) but I have seen residents with lower Step 1 scores. If the letters you have are from people who know you well and are strong, it can only help. I don't know about specific grades, they are looked at, but weighed less heavily than other things. The visa issue I would guess is going to be program specific. I would say apply broadly. The chances of matching seem reasonable to me.

Edit:
Here is the NRMP data from 2014 (I doubt the proceeding years are much different)
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Charting-Outcomes-2014-Final.pdf

Pediatric data is on page 213 or so. For your Step I score the match probability was about 50%. I suspect that some of the unmatched applicants either 1) did not apply broadly or 2) preferred not to match to specific programs since 13 spots went unfilled that same year.
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Main-Match-Results-and-Data-2014.pdf

Last edited:
Thank you so much for that! It gives me some sort of hope at least. My IM and Peds letters are both from Attendings I worked closely with, so I'm hoping that they will be strong enough to help. I have been researching programs endlessly and am applying to any and every program that accepts or has accepted IMG's in the past and sponsors a visa.

My biggest concern has to be not having my CK score, and not going to be able to have it until the end of the year. The other thing is, that I know IMG students tend to apply to upwards of 200 programs (IM and FM usually). With Peds though, there are 167 programs this year, 15 are in California (can't do my residency there) and then probably of the 152 left, only a handful sponsor visas. Unfortunately, not much I can change about the situation at this point, but just hope for the best and hope that my supplemental information helps me out.

Thanks again, at least there is some sort of light at the end of the tunnel (even if it's only burning at 50%) =)

I'll differ a bit here because of your nonUS IMG status and lack of step 2.

http://www.nrmp.org/match-data/main-residency-match-data/

Look at charting outcomes for 2016 for imgs, go to peds, and look at non-US IMGs. For those with a step 1 between 201 and 210, there were 39 / 55 unmatched. For step scores 211-220, there were 64/91 unmatched. For those with step 2 score unknown, 30/45 went unmatched. I'm not attempting to discourage you, just want you to be informed and apply / plan appropriately.

@aProgDirector may be able to provide additional info particularly with regard to visa status, and/or correct anything I've said