Chances at podiatry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ETR

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering my chances in podiatry school, but i have a low gpa and MCAT score. I have a ugrad gpa of 3.2 cum (3.0sgpa) and i have a grad gpa of 3.0. I will be graduating with a doctorate in Physical Therapy in 2 years. I didnt score that high on my MCAT's (only a 25). any advice? any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I was wondering my chances in podiatry school, but i have a low gpa and MCAT score. I have a ugrad gpa of 3.2 cum (3.0sgpa) and i have a grad gpa of 3.0. I will be graduating with a doctorate in Physical Therapy in 2 years. I didnt score that high on my MCAT's (only a 25). any advice? any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

I THINK (I don't know for sure) your stats are competitive for Podiatry school. The biggest question you will have to answer, during your interview, is why you are choosing podiatry after initially pursuing physical therapy. If you can't give a legitimate reason then you prob shouldn't be applying anyways.

I saw that you have posted this same question on two different medical school threads as well...I really hope you are not trying to apply to Pod schools for the sake of practicing some kind of medicine. Those stats you have would NOT be competitive for MD schools and might be competitive for some (maybe none) DO schools. Your MCAT score is def avg or a little below avg for DO schools (avg is about a 26-27 now at most schools). Your sGPA for undergraduate and graduate work are both low for either MD or DO schools.

All in all you have a lot to think about as you weigh your options...but in short, to answer you initial question again...I FEEL you do have a good shot at getting into Pod school with those stats. Just make sure you really want to do this and don't do it because you don't think you can get into MD or DO schools.

Last edited:
actually its for my brother...ive been saying "i" because its just easier than saying my brother repetitively...its more of weighing options...he is seeing what he wants to do and i think he just was curious...but thanks for the information! also does him having a DPT give him an additional boost?

Members don't see this ad :)
actually its for my brother...ive been saying "i" because its just easier than saying my brother repetitively...its more of weighing options...he is seeing what he wants to do and i think he just was curious...but thanks for the information! also does him having a DPT give him an additional boost?

Im not going to comment on your chances but do you really want to spend that much time in school? Pod school is 4 years of coursework/clinicals + a residency... Residency are mostly all 3 years long now. Its not unheard of for someone to spend that much time in school... but keep in mind your only into your 1st year (semester?) of PT school...

*Im assuming your PT school is 3 years long. I think that is the norm for PT.

Apply to all the schools and go.

Give yourself a chance. If you get accepted, your 3.0GPA won't mean crap because you will be a doctor.

Just make sure you are ready to work your but off.

Go for it, because the alternatives are not too appealing.

Be a doctor. just do it.