Chances for 2010?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aggie404

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what you all thought my chances are.

I started at Washington State University where I piddled around and got all of my GEs out of the way. Left after 2 years with a 3.7 gpa. Transferred down to UC Davis where all I took was science classes, left there with a 3.45 gpa and a B.S. in Physiology. I had a strong upward trend my last two years at UCD, ~3.7. (Graduated in 5 because of athletics)

33P MCAT (11P, 11V, 11B)

ECs
- Volunteered in a Cardiac Rehab Clinic for a year
- 6 months of research in Pain Medicine
- 2 sport varsity athlete at 2 different D-I universities
- Eagle Scout
- Tutored biochemistry, biomechanics, and physics
- Undergraduate Anatomy Lab Teaching Assistant
- Special studies in human dissection
- Nationally Registered EMT- Intermediate
- volunteered for the campus radio station
- Project Lead for the UC Davis Campus Recycling, helped develop a
program to reduce campus waste to the landfill by ~50%
- Invovled with a couple of clubs

I have 5 strong LOR and I currently work for a major pharmaceutical company doing preclinical pharmaceutical toxicology studies.

I was planning on applying this next cyle. I'm a resident of California, so I'm hoping for UCI or maybe UCD but I grew up in Nevada and have strong ties to the state. I'm going to apply pretty broadly, probably around 30 schools.

I was just wondering what my chances are. I think my cGPA will come out to be around 3.5-3.6 but I'm a little afraid if its closer to a 3.5. My sGPA should be 3.4-3.5

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think your chances of getting in somewhere are very good (like 73.3%) considering your slightly-low GPA will be balanced by the slightly-high MCAT score. You have a nice mix of ECs, and I especially like your leadership experience with the recycling. Did you ever work or volunteer as an EMT? If so, that will add nicely to your clinical experience. I don't see any shadowing mentioned, and that would be good to add, however briefly, before you submit. And BTW, Eagle Scout still counts for something with adcomms at the med school level.

With these stats would I have any shot at some of the schools back east like University of Vermont, Boston University, New York Medical College, etc.?

Mean acceptee stats for BU=3.7, 32, for NYMC=3.6, 31, and for UVermont=3.7, 30. With your 3.45 and 33, I'd say BU is a stretch, but the others are within your reach.