final grades for fall 2010 coming- and I'm worried. advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

llamasarefuzzy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm a sophomore at a very competitive university (top 10). I'm very worried about grades this fall- I think I'm going to end up with C's in both orgo and genetics/evolution (although all my other classes should be a's).
Current gpa is 3.4, sgpa is 2.9.
Do I still have a shot at an MD program in the states? will MD programs look at the undergraduate institution and take into account it is one of the most competitive in the country (also- not ivy league, and well known for grade deflation :( )
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I had some GPA trouble in my first year, and all I was told was to focus on improvement, since medical schools like to see a strong upward trend in grades, especially in science and pre-med requirements. Don't sweat it.

However, if you feel like this GPA trouble is something that might be recurring, you ought to reevaluate your study methods or try taking a lighter load. I have a handful of friends who were weeded out by the genetics/orgo combination.

Hi all,
I'm a sophomore at a very competitive university (top 10). I'm very worried about grades this fall- I think I'm going to end up with C's in both orgo and genetics/evolution (although all my other classes should be a's).
Current gpa is 3.4, sgpa is 2.9.
Do I still have a shot at an MD program in the states? will MD programs look at the undergraduate institution and take into account it is one of the most competitive in the country (also- not ivy league, and well known for grade deflation :( )
Thanks!

I'm in a similar situation myself since I'm a sophomore.
I'm taking orgo, Physics 2, and calc 2 with an engineering course and I started the semester well but it the load eventually fell on me with 18 credits. I had to drop my Orgo lab because of the way it fit in my schedule and I had no time. I'm also about to take genetics in three weeks in winter :xf: I started the semester saying I needed to do well so I could apply to early assurance but I'm going to end up having to make sure that I get a well enough GPA to not get kicked out of the Honors College at my University....FML

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks!
Thats been very helpful. I think I"m studying wrong- I know I spend just as much or more time on classes as my classmates. I've already made an appointment at the advising center to get advice about study skills.