Chances for a California school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

floppydisque

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm a junior applying for the next cycle and was wondering what my chances are of getting into a UC or equivalent school. Should I be retaking the MCAT if I want to go to a UC?

HYPSM Undergrad
URM
CA Resident
Major: Biology
sGPA:3.83 cGPA: 3.72
MCAT: 31R (11 PS, 8VR (I want to kill myself), 12 BS)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention but I volunteered at a hospital for about 100 hours. I will probably have about 50-100 hrs at the clinic.

What's an ED?

Thanks for the input.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think your odds of acceptance to at least one of the UCs, Stanford, or USC is > 90%. I'm cynical about the whole med school application process and to enhance your odds would recommend playing up the URM angle, regardless of what your heritage may or may not mean to you. (I know UCs don't officially practice affirmative action but if you tie it into an essay or something it may help the adcoms get around that.)

If you think you can do better on the MCAT, retake it.

I forgot to mention but I volunteered at a hospital for about 100 hours. I will probably have about 50-100 hrs at the clinic.

What's an ED?

Thanks for the input.

URM with thost stats = you are fine!! Didnt see the URM first time...

ED = Emergency Department

I would not retake MCAT unless you know you can do better.

Thanks all for the advice. I was so worried about the 8 but I'm feeling a little more at ease.

I think you have a decent chance, but definitely don't limit yourself to JUST those schools. It's always better to have too many interviews/acceptances, right?? :)

Since u are a URM you are 100% fine to get admitted at any UC or an equivalent school. The UCs more then any other schools in the nation are HUGE on URM meaning they invite a ton of them and admit a lot. They practice affirmative action big time for admissions (though obviously they cant say thats what they are doing but its how it is).