Chances for acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newtron38!

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The low TS science is not favorable, especially with two "16s." I would recommend a re-take. Your GPA is fine. I would also recommend applying to more schools depending on your DAT score result. GL

Reactions: 1 user
I think you should re-take the DAT. If you’re getting a 4.0 in your chemistry masters program, then your scores should also reflect upon that or else the quality of your masters program gets called into question. Try to aim for a 21-22 AA and you should be good

Members don't see this ad :)
IMO, yes you should retake the DAT. TS is low. If possible, work fewer hours at one of your jobs so you can really focus on studying for the DAT as it will be your 3rd time taking it. Really give it your all. Good luck!

As everyone else has said, retake the DAT. Focus on Chem, since it’s your weakest area. Do you use destroyer?

I was in a similar situation like you, and was told that if your chemistry grades are what pulled you down in undergrad, getting a high score on the DAT chemistry sections would be a way to offset that since the DAT is standardized. I would definitely retake, and focus on relearning the basics of organic and general chemistry. What did you use to prep for the chem sections the past two times? Will you still be in your masters program when you start studying for a DAT retake?

How do you get a 4.0 in a chemistry masters and end up with a 16 chemistry on the dat.

Retake the DAT or every school in the nation will be wary of whatever program you just went to.

Reactions: 3 users
How do you get a 4.0 in a chemistry masters and end up with a 16 chemistry on the dat.

Retake the DAT or every school in the nation will be wary of whatever program you just went to.
He's(?) probably not using gen chem and basic orgo in his masters program. Also, from what I've seen (in my school and others) many professors don't take the testing and the grading seriously because the grades for grad students are generally irrelevant.

No, I took a class though. It was difficult to concentrate in the three hour sessions at night following long days haha However, I’m either getting it done or I’m not. I plan on applying with these scores and then I suppose retaking it and supplying the schools I apply to with the new unofficial scores the day I take the test. Not to mention, my masters classes focus on things like group theory, MO theory, etc.. doesn’t have too terribly much in common with the general calculations and stuff I learned 4 years ago in gen chem. I had been consistently been getting 18-19 in ochem practice tests and then just goofed on the real DAT I suppose.

Watch Chad’s videos for GC and OC, then do destroyer. I agree it looks super shady that you are in a Chem master’s program, but have 16’s in those areas. The Chem and orgo on the DAT is not too bad.

I plan on applying with these scores and then I suppose retaking it and supplying the schools I apply to with the new unofficial scores the day I take the test.
With your current scores, I would suggest not applying until you have your new and highly improved DAT scores (21+). If you apply with those scores, you may find yourself in the deny pile before the schools even process your new and improved DAT score.

Hey guys,
I was hoping I could get some advice... I applied really late last cycle and got two interviews (waitlisted and rejected) I retook my DAT and I feel completely defeated. I already submitted my applications for this cycle, all that was missing were my DAT scores.... I was wondering if I should retake the DAT for a third time (in 3 months--still in this cycle).

2017/2018
PAT 18/ 20
QR 18/17
RC 16/19
BIO 18/17
GC 17/19
OC 19/20
TS 18/18
AA 18/18

Destroyer and Bootcamp were my best friends and I never received anything less than a 20 on bootcamp bio and averaged -7 in dat destroyer bio section so I was in absolute shock when I saw my biology score. I spent significantly more time studying for biology than I did for any other section. The bio section was heavily ecology, which absolutely sucked.

GPA 3.87
300+ shadow hours
200+ volunteer hours
Former President of Dental Club in college (graduate now)

Last edited: