WAMC 3.7 GPA 19 AA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrthreeyear

Reaction score
Hello there, I am a pre-dental student from Michigan, USA applying for the first time in this 22-23 cycle. I am unsure on what to do and would appreciate some guidance. Feel free to comment below any thoughts or advice you may have.

Statistics
Major: Biology || I will get my bachelors before starting dental school in Fall 2023
Date of submission: August 10, 2022
Overall GPA: 3.7
Science GPA: 3.6
DAT score: 18 in bio and orgo, 19 in math, 20 in gen chem/reading/PAT, TS = 19 and AA = 19
Letters of Recommendation: one from my school's pre-health committee (should be good but I don't know), other from dentist where I worked as an assistant (strong)

Extracurriculars
Shadowing Experience: Around 270 total shadowing hours --> around 130 from a general dentist
Dental Assistant: Around 160 hours at a pediatric clinic
Volunteering Experience: volunteered at local house of worship (around 100 hrs) and at a non-profit community garden (around 50 hrs)
Research: General Chemistry Research and data was presented at American Chemical Society meetings
Clubs: member of 3 clubs at my school, and vice president of school's biology club
Played 2 intramural sports

Dental Schools

The schools I have listed below are ones where I believe my stats are in the range of what they accept. I know there are more schools, but I did not want the application to get too pricey. These are also schools I have narrowed down to and can see myself going to. If there are any other schools you think I should apply to feel free to reply or message me.

Case Western University
Indiana University
Nova Southeastern University
University of Buffalo
University of Detroit Mercy
University of Maryland
Midwestern Illinois University
Marquette University

If you have made it here and read everything, I appreciate you taking the time to do so. Again I appreciate any advice or thoughts you may have and feel free to comment below. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Why not UMich? Instate school with probably the lowest tuition out of all the schools you picked. Your stats are a little low for admissions but it's worth a shot applying since most instate schools favor their residents.

Why not UMich? Instate school with probably the lowest tuition out of all the schools you picked. Your stats are a little low for admissions but it's worth a shot applying since most instate schools favor their residents.
Hi there, I understand your thoughts and for my reasoning on that I can explain it to you. I attend the University of Detroit Mercy, and it has been known to have a bias against students from our school. From last years class, I only knew two people that were accepted and they had stats higher than mine. So I thought I would save the money and time from applying there and use it on another school that would accept my stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there, I understand your thoughts and for my reasoning on that I can explain it to you. I attend the University of Detroit Mercy, and it has been known to have a bias against students from our school. From last years class, I only knew two people that were accepted and they had stats higher than mine. So I thought I would save the money and time from applying there and use it on another school that would accept my stats.
Understood, thanks for getting back!

The tuition savings is likely much more than an app fee. It’s all about the long game

Reactions: 1 users
The tuition savings is likely much more than an app fee. It’s all about the long game
Hi there, yeah I do understand that point of view. I have talked with people who are familiar with U of Mich and my stats would not be enough to get in there. So it came to the decision of either not applying or retaking the DAT, and people have told me my scores are good enough for some schools so I went with applying with what I have. I appreciate your comment though.