Chances for Canadian applying to LECOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TR4N23MED

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was wondering what my chances were to LECOM (all campuses) as a Canadian (born and raised).
My stats: GPA = 3.91 and MCAT = 29
Has there been any Canadians (or other international applicants) that have been accepted to LECOM in the past??

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not quite sure about your chances to LECOM specifically, but it's definitely worth applying. Also, apply to MSUCOM, they really like Canadian students and have reserved 25 seats for solely Canadian students.

LECOM has not taken ANY canadians in the last few years, it is not Canadian friendly.

Canadian friendly schools are : AZCOM, CCOM, MSUCOM, NSU, UNECOM, KCUMB, WESTERNU(pomona), LMU-DCOM, TOURONY, MU-COM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe they haven't accepted any Canadians in the last few years b/c the applicants just didn't make the cut (low gpa and mcat)...I think Dr. Hopeful is right, I will definitely apply to LECOM.

Maybe they haven't accepted any Canadians in the last few years b/c the applicants just didn't make the cut (low gpa and mcat)...I think Dr. Hopeful is right, I will definitely apply to LECOM.
Right and no Canadian has ever had more than a 29 MCAT lol. I'm sure lecom will enjoy your money. Good luck

True. But with a 3.91 gpa??
Plenty of Canadians applying with high GPAs. That is only one part of the proces . Now if that's a 3.9 from uoft or UBC like schools kudos. Some small Ontario uni, meh. My point is a great GPA will only take you so far, other things need to be presen . ..

Good luck though. Maybe you'll prove us wrong with lecom. Very late app though

LECOM has a lot of seats to fill. You'll likely get an interview with your stats. I got in with a 25 MCAT and 3.7 science GPA. In your group interview, make sure you make it known why you think LECOM will be a great fit for you. When I interviewed at LECOM, I honestly thought I blew it. It was my first interview and I answered some questions just awfully, though I ended up getting accepted. The reason I think I did was because I made it very obvious LECOM was a top choice of mine at the time, and I made it known that I was very interested in PBL and that I knew everything there was to know about it. Apply to LECOM and kill the interview, I don't see why the school would be completely "against" Canadian students. Though I do have to ask, is there a reason you want to go to LECOM specifically? There are a ton of GREAT schools that are super Canadian friendly, like UBC listed earlier.

There are alot of schools that are Canadian friendly, I'm Canadian with a 3.8 sgpa and 30 mcat and i got accepted into UNECOM, AZCOM, KCUMB, WesternU, and MSUCOM. I have a friend who was accepted into LECOM-erie as well last year. Apply around, altough I would apply to the cheaper schools to avoid getting nailed when our dollar is low.

I bet DO schools accept more Canadians as they want to see Canada recognize DO profession

There are alot of schools that are Canadian friendly, I'm Canadian with a 3.8 sgpa and 30 mcat and i got accepted into UNECOM, AZCOM, KCUMB, WesternU, and MSUCOM. I have a friend who was accepted into LECOM-erie as well last year. Apply around, altough I would apply to the cheaper schools to avoid getting nailed when our dollar is low.

That is contrary news then about lecom erie, did they do any of their education in the US. where a dual citizen, or have ties to the area in LECOM? The last Canadian we heard about who got into LECOM did their undergrad in the area and had ties.

If this is true, then maybe things are changing with LECOM, and they will take some Canadian seriously.

Do update us about the specifics of that friend of yours for the rest to know.

BUT, although they may have taken 1 person, that doesn't make it "canadian friendly", like other schools that interview numerous and accept many as listed above. But I suppose then, if you have the money to spend on that outside chance, then it would be worth it for you.

Was your friend born and raised in Canada? What were his/her stats?

he was born and raised in canada. i dont know his stats but they werent great. I just found out that he got a green card through his american wife. But hes still canadian

he was born and raised in canada. i dont know his stats but they werent great. I just found out that he got a green card through his american wife. But hes still canadian
Wouldn't that green card ultimately put him through (Ie. Would disregard his international status)?

Wouldn't that green card ultimately put him through (Ie. Would disregard his international status)?

The green card then is the reason. Greencard holders are more or less no different than US citizens for most purposes on admissions and beyond.

Its a running joke of Canadians who go to medical school in the US or the carribean, to get married to a US citizen to get the green card before residency time hits to secure a spot.

Well, I'll update you guys about an interview invite or not...

I bet DO schools accept more Canadians as they want to see Canada recognize DO profession

Canada already fully recognizes the DO degree in all of its territories. I suppose MD schools (US and Carib) that accept Canadians do so so that Canada recognizes the profession :rolleyes:. Or maybe its just well known that Canada has very few medical school seats, so many Canadians go abroad for medical education.