Chances for DO Ortho with suboptimal score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StrangeMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OMS-3 here. I have what I consider to be marginal or below average scores for this specialty:
240 Step 1, 570 COMLEX (damn)

I'm wondering which programs would be best for me to look at in terms of Sub-Is/away rotations. I'm going to keep my options open because I know that I don't quite measure up in terms of Comlex score to many applicants. I'm also working on publications + working on adding more in the future.

Basically what are my options and what can I do to maximize my chances of matching at an osteopathic residency.

Thank you for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Will give you an uphill battle at Pinnacle, Doctors, Toledo, St. James, Corvallis and other board heavy programs. Still plenty that'll give you a fair shake though. Think South pointe, St. Joes come to mind. Search these forums, there are threads that tell you the programs to avoid. Be likable, work hard, don't gun, know your ortho knowledge. Wouldn't rule yourself out yet, but applying to a back up specialty on ERAS might also be a smart thing to do. Know many with higher score than you that didn't match, know plenty with your score that did. So it really is all about picking the right rotations and having a great audition. Good luck!

Will give you an uphill battle at Pinnacle, Doctors, Toledo, St. James, Corvallis and other board heavy programs. Still plenty that'll give you a fair shake though. Think South pointe, St. Joes come to mind. Search these forums, there are threads that tell you the programs to avoid. Be likable, work hard, don't gun, know your ortho knowledge. Wouldn't rule yourself out yet, but applying to a back up specialty on ERAS might also be a smart thing to do. Know many with higher score than you that didn't match, know plenty with your score that did. So it really is all about picking the right rotations and having a great audition. Good luck!

Just curious what scores would you consider "competitive" for the board heavy programs you have listed?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile