Chances for Hygiene!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RDHTyler

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My junior year of High School is coming to an end pretty soon and I was thinking about applying late fall for Hygiene School and I'm curious about their procedures and whether I'll get accepted.

I consider myself a great student, My QPA for my High School years is at a 3.70. I've recently just got a job dental assisting for a local dentist and will have around 200+ hours of job shadowing/volunteer work before I apply to Hygiene school.

I've also been told since I'm a male, I have a slightly higher acceptance rate, I'm not sure if that's honestly true though.

Is there anything else I can do to improve my application before I apply that will increase my chances of getting accepted?

I'll be applying to University of Pitt, if you need that information.

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Univ. of Pitt
Admission Requirements:

Admission into the Dental Hygiene Certificate Program requires the following:

• High School diploma or GED equivalency
  • Scholastic Achievement Test (SAT I) scores. Individuals must achieve a combined score of 1100 or greater on the critical reading (verbal) and the quantitative (math) sections. An ACT Composite score of 24 or higher can be substituted for the SAT. In lieu of a minimum SAT I Score of 1100, the Program will accept 24 post-secondary college credits with a minimum QPA of 3.0. This must include College Algebra or Trigonometry with a grade "B" or above. Intermediate Algebra is accepted.
  • High school or post-secondary chemistry with a lab component, with a minimum grade of "B" (84%).
  • High school or post-secondary biology course, with optional lab, with minimum grade of "B" (84%).
  • High School QPA of 3.0 or above.
  • Minimum combined QPA of 3.0 at all post secondary academic institutions attended.
  • College level English Composition and Introduction to Sociology courses must be completed with a grade of "B" or better. It is strongly recommended that these courses be completed prior to entry into the program.
  • Results from personal interview with Admissions Committee.
  • Results from written interview questions.
  • Results from a minimum of three professional or academic references (ie: teachers, employers, guidance counselors, etc.).
  • Applicant Essay.
  • Successful completion of the TOEFL iBT with a score of 100 or above is required for students for whom English is a second language.
  • Completed application packet or on-line application.
  • Completion of HBV series and Mantoux test
  • CPR certification (completed at orientation)
Sounds like you'll be good to go as long as you meet these requirements. You will most likely have to take some college basics prior to admission though.