Chances for IM program in So-Cal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Noorkoothem

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I first want to apologize for making a "what are my chances thread" but I've been all tied up thinking about my chances at IM programs in the near future. My Step I score is 221 (I know, I know...not a 250 like everybody on this forum), I have honored one preclinical course, and I think I will honor one clinical clerkship in my 3rd year at best. I go to a top 15 medical school in california (sorry trying to remain somewhat anonymous). My research experience consists of a couple of published abstracts, 2 papers that haven't made publication (yet?), and two poster presentations..all of this work has been with one well known PI who will write me a great letter of rec. I have quite an extensive list of extracurricular activities, ranging from volunteer work to participation in sports as a player and coach.

My question is, with the above mentioned stats, what are my chances at landing a residency spot at a program like Cedars Sinai, or for that matter any so cal IM residency.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you are from California, it should be easier. I would ask an IM adviser at your school what your chances are at Program X, Y, or Z because they have a good idea where you can get into.

ECs are maybe 17/18 of things people care about, but they show you are a human, and that's good because some medical students are not.

Research is always good.

Your school's ranking will help you much in the process... especially if you are referring to UCSF, UCLA, or Stanford... UCSD is up there too.

Try to do well on Step 2 to overcome the Step 1 score (which is still a great score because you beat more than half the people on the exam...)

Try to schedule some MS4 IM electives and get honors grades on the transcript before it is sent out (Medicine AI, MICU >> consult service, outpatient medicine... unless you are doing primary care track... then outpatient medicine could be helpful).
For your grades, it depends on how hard your school grades as well. If 15 % get honors grades in clerkships, it is nothing to sweat about. If 50 % gets honors grades in clerkships, then probably more pressure to get those MS4 electives.

All in all, I think you have a good prognosis for southern IM... apply to UCLA and its two other affiliate programs, USC, Cedars, and wherever else you want to go. UCSD is also a great program.

Last edited:
Great, thank you..that eased my mind a bit. I really appreciate you taking your time to write all of that out! If anybody else has any feedback, please post.

Thanks!

Hello!

I first want to apologize for making a "what are my chances thread" but I've been all tied up thinking about my chances at IM programs in the near future. My Step I score is 221 (I know, I know...not a 250 like everybody on this forum), I have honored one preclinical course, and I think I will honor one clinical clerkship in my 3rd year at best. I go to a top 15 medical school in california (sorry trying to remain somewhat anonymous). My research experience consists of a couple of published abstracts, 2 papers that haven't made publication (yet?), and two poster presentations..all of this work has been with one well known PI who will write me a great letter of rec. I have quite an extensive list of extracurricular activities, ranging from volunteer work to participation in sports as a player and coach.

My question is, with the above mentioned stats, what are my chances at landing a residency spot at a program like Cedars Sinai, or for that matter any so cal IM residency.

Thanks!

Hey, I hope this doesn't discourage you, but I have already been rejected from UCLA and UCSF. I'm from a top 25 east coast school, low 240's on step 1 and step 2, research experience but no publication, lots of EC's, honors in 3rd yr medicine, high pass average for all 3rd year courses. This may be more encouraging, as I did, however, get interviews at the 2 UCLA affiliate programs, Cedars, Kaiser LA, UC Irvine, and Scripps Green. I am still waiting on UCSD (really keeping my fingers crossed here.. i'm really surprised I haven't gotten an interview) and Scripps Mercy. I don't think it is because I am at an east coast school... I grew up on the west coast and did undergraduate there. it's not always easy to know what is helpful and what isn't. The picture I am getting about the elite academic programs it that they are really looking for AOA, All/mostly honors 3rd year, 250 Steps type of students. They're looking for future research/academic leaders. So, of course if you really want to go there, still apply... you never know what might happen. I wish you the best of luck!