Chances for PCOM...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
On their website, PCOM says that 54% of their Pennsylvania campus students come from Pennsylvania. This stat, of course, contains students in all of their programs on that campus. Just wanted to put a concrete number out there!
are the Delaware residents included in that IS stat (I think it was DE)? DE pays PCOM to reserve some seats exclusively for DE students.

Members don't see this ad.

are the Delaware residents included in that IS stat (I think it was DE)? DE pays PCOM to reserve some seats exclusively for DE students.

Not sure, sorry. I don't have any inside knowledge, only what they put up on the pcom.edu website :')

I agree, but for a private school, it has one of the cheapest tuition rates available. PCOM is an established school, near a major city, that has reasonable and significantly cheaper tuition rates compared to CCOM and NYITCOM and also RowanSOM (OOS.) I believe PCOM also takes 270 students and LECOM has 350 for PA campuses? CCOM only accepts 206 students.

I disagree.
PCOM rate of matriculation/applicants= 270/9596= 0.0281
CCOM
rate of matriculation/applicants= 206/7871= 0.0262
RowanSOM
rate of matriculation/applicants= 162/5442= 0.0298
LECOM-PA
rate of matriculation/applicants= 350/8526= 0.0411

This means that CCOM is actually harder by simple percent yield to get into than PCOM. Even RowanSOM is similar with far less matriculants AND has an in-state bias. One could argue that RowanSOM for OOS is even more difficult than PCOM.

If CCOM had its tuition to be equal to that of PCOM's, I would definitely see an application number on par with PCOM.

http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/data-and-trends/2015-16COM-tuition-and-feesFY.pdf?sfvrsn=4

If you're talking about how hard it is to get into a particular school, you should really be looking for the acceptance to applicant ratio, not the matriculation to applicant ratio. The latter is based on class size (obviously), not on how many people they actually accept... The numbers are close enough from your calculations that the acceptance/applicant ratio could yield different results (i.e. maybe PCOM is harder to get into than CCOM).

I think they only reserve 5 seats for Delaware residents... not sure how much that affects the numbers. At any rate, it's the same program they have with Jefferson, and those students aren't considered for in-state tuition. If I were to guess, I would say they are considered OOS for tuition but IS for admissions purposes.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're talking about how hard it is to get into a particular school, you should really be looking for the acceptance to applicant ratio, not the matriculation to applicant ratio. The latter is based on class size (obviously), not on how many people they actually accept... The numbers are close enough from your calculations that the acceptance/applicant ratio could yield different results (i.e. maybe PCOM is harder to get into than CCOM).

You are correct, but the ratios between the numbers I got should stay relatively the same. Schools accept roughly 2.5 times their class size, so it wouldn't make a difference in the actual result. Just multiply the ratios I got by 2.5.

Unless there's a drastic difference between how many times the class size do varying schools accept, I don't think there's going to be a significant difference.

But your point is kind of moot anyways. The statistic should be proportional to how many applicants are matriculated because that's the only solid numbers we can obtain. Everyone knows it is harder to get into a school with a smaller class size with the same number of applicants. Both PCOM and CCOM have an established reputation. CCOM also has the highest or near highest LizzyM average for DO schools.

Last edited:
You are correct, but the ratios between the numbers I got should stay relatively the same. Schools accept roughly 2.5 times their class size, so it wouldn't make a difference in the actual result. Just multiply the ratios I got by 2.5.

Unless there's a drastic difference between how many times the class size do varying schools accept, I don't think there's going to be a significant difference.

But your point is kind of moot anyways. The statistic should be proportional to how many applicants are matriculated because that's the only solid numbers we can obtain. Everyone knows it is harder to get into a school with a smaller class size with the same number of applicants. Both PCOM and CCOM have an established reputation. CCOM also has the highest or near highest LizzyM average for DO schools.

That was really just to say the numbers are a little too close to call for stating which is hardest to get into haha. The whole thing is moot as far as I'm concerned... The schools in general are probably focused on different parts of the app and a lot of who gets the interview is chance based on the person reviewing the file (that's my take from this application cycle, anyway).