Premedlatino007

10+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I'm a third year year pre-med student. I'm concern with my g.p.a.
I will like to apply to D.O. or podiatry schools, but I have gotten some bad grades in my pre-requesite courses, some repeat and deletes and 2W's.

Ino. Chem C, C
O. Chem 1st semster F, then repeat got a C, 2nd semester C
Biol. 1st semster F, then repeat and got C, 2nd semester B
Physics A, A

I repeat and deleted two more classes.
Calculus 2: got D, repeat got a B
Quatitative Chem: got D, repeat got A

I also had 2 W's.

My science g.p.a. currently 2.8
Cummulative 2.9
Non-science 3.3

I haven't taken my MCAT.

I will apply in 2010. By that time, with a lot of effort I can get my science maybe to a 3.1, and cummulative to a 3.2. I know I can get above a 25 on the MCAT. I'm a latino, or minority. I have volunteer in a hospital for a year and done about 500 hours. I have done research in Ino. Chem for the last 2 years.

Would anyone please let me know if I have any chances to get into one of the schools above if I applied in 2010. Or even better what schools should I applied to. Thank you so much for your help!

Mobius1985

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2007
A link to the DO "What are my chances?" thread is here:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=514416

It seems to me that even if you get a competitive MCAT score for DO medical schools, you need to demonstrate you can succeed in the academically-intense environment of a med school. In my opinion DO adcomms will want to see 1.5 year of sustained good grades from you. Happily, you have that much time before you intend to apply. I don't know how they will feel about the fact that you have Cs in some of the prerequisites after you retook the class. You'll need to ask in the Pre-Osteopathic forum mentioned above. The average student accepted to a DO school has an MCAT of 24 and a GPA of 3.4. If you get your GPA to 3.2 with an MCAT of 25, as you suggest in your post, then I think you have a shot at getting in with your clinical experience and above average research experience.

For information on applying to Podiatry school, you might also like to visit the Pre-Podiatry forum of SDN at: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=153

Last edited:

Premedlatino007

10+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Mobius 1985,

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to get as many As as possible, and do really well on the MCAT. I still have HOPE!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.