chances of a 3.4 35Q at med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ephemerals

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to graduate soon from drexel with a 3.4 sgpa and a 35 total on mcat. I'm a chemistry major and freshman/sophomore year I loafed around getting A's on easy classes and B's and C's on anything that required less than minimal effort. Something clicked in me after I received terrible grades sophomore year's last quarter (c's and d's) and I made a huge effort to start trying. I received mostly A's and some A-'s and two B+'s from then on and I got my gpa up to 3.4 science gpa and 3.5 gpa total. I got mcat cumulative score of 35. Throughout my time in college I participated a lot with my christian church and did some chemistry research on and off. I starting sophomore year summer I kept up with volunteering positions in hospitals in philadelphia. What do you think my chances are at med school are? I'll be taking this coming year as a gap year... Should I even bother applying to anything beyond mid tier med schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Low tier schools and maybe a few mid tier MD (like, say, Rochester Miami or Keck/USC), plus all new ones, and any DO programs.

MSAR Online will be your firend. Apply strategically.

A 3.5 GPA is below avg for MD applicants (which is 3.6) but in striking distance for some of the mid-tiers. Best to have tsome really good ECs in the packet to make you stand out. Upward trends are always good, too.

I'm going to graduate soon from drexel with a 3.4 sgpa and a 35 total on mcat. I'm a chemistry major and freshman/sophomore year I loafed around getting A's on easy classes and B's and C's on anything that required less than minimal effort. Something clicked in me after I received terrible grades sophomore year's last quarter (c's and d's) and I made a huge effort to start trying. I received mostly A's and some A-'s and two B+'s from then on and I got my gpa up to 3.4 science gpa and 3.5 gpa total. I got mcat cumulative score of 35. Throughout my time in college I participated a lot with my christian church and did some chemistry research on and off. I starting sophomore year summer I kept up with volunteering positions in hospitals in philadelphia. What do you think my chances are at med school are? I'll be taking this coming year as a gap year... Should I even bother applying to anything beyond mid tier med schools?