Jun 28, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I'm a bit of an older candidate applying for this years application cycle (34, will be 35 when classes start, assuming I'm accepted).

I actually quit a career in banking last year to commit full-time to the prerequisite coursework, and completed 32 credit hours with a 4.0 GPA. I did some shadowing and volunteer work during this time, and feel that I gained good insight to a variety of procedures, as well as the overall "vibe" of being in a high-volume clinic. Admittedly, I did much better in the prerequisite courses than expected, and so decided to take the DAT. Longstanding interest in dentistry stems from preference for activity-based work with interest in science and medicine, as well as a true interest in the well-being of others.

Profile info summarized below:

Date of submission: Pending
Overall GPA: 3.9
Science GPA: 4.0
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 4.0. ** Biochemistry and physics remain to complete, but I plan to take those prior to enrollment, if accepted.
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 22 AA | Bio 22, GC 25, OC 21, RC 21, QR 21, PAT 17.
**I'm wary about the PAT 17 - did not manage my time well enough on this section. Is it worth re-taking the DAT?
State of Residence: Arizona

Undergrad Attended: Saint Vincent College C’08
Major: Accounting/Finance
Minor: Mathematics
Nontrad? Yes – career changer- formerly in commercial banking. MBA – Arizona State University C’18

Shadowing Experience: 50 hours – non-profit dental clinic serving lower income demographic.
Volunteering Experience: 50 hours – medical supply sorting, Habitat for Humanity.
Employment: 10+ years in corporate finance, commercial banking, and wealth management.
Research: N/A

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere: Experienced in fine woodworking and hand tools, construction, bilingual (Spanish).
School list: UNLV, Midwestern-AZ, Roseman (Utah).

Last edited:

artist2022

UCLA D3 :)
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I would repost following this template to get a better picture of who you are as an applicant: ► TEMPLATE: How to Format your WAMC Thread ◄
In regard to applying to Texas schools, unless you are a resident, there is no use applying - they rarely accept OOS (plus you have to live there for a year for non-educational reasons to become a resident, last I checked).

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
Jun 28, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I would repost following this template to get a better picture of who you are as an applicant: ► TEMPLATE: How to Format your WAMC Thread ◄
In regard to applying to Texas schools, unless you are a resident, there is no use applying - they rarely accept OOS (plus you have to live there for a year for non-educational reasons to become a resident, last I checked).

Thank you! Just getting the hang of this. Will repost shortly.

Reactions: 1 user
Jun 28, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
4.0 sgpa with a 22AA?? Ya i think you be ok

I appreciate the confidence! My main concern is volunteer hours and the PAT score. I've heard mixed things about each school's preference for volunteer hours. Some explicitly state a minimum number of hours (100+). I simply couldn't fit 100+ hours in over the past year in light of the coursework and other shadowing.

S_Diamond_DDS

5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I appreciate the confidence! My main concern is volunteer hours and the PAT score. I've heard mixed things about each school's preference for volunteer hours. Some explicitly state a minimum number of hours (100+). I simply couldn't fit 100+ hours in over the past year in light of the coursework and other shadowing.
No you should be fine with that PAT score and volunteer hours, unless you’re applying to a program that places volunteering as one of it’s biggest criteria, such as the AT Stills (but most schools don’t).

Reactions: 1 users

MavsFanForLife

2+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Ya i agree with what was said above, especially about the PAT score. To give you a reference I scored a 21 AA/TS and 24 RC but had a 18 PAT and all schools that I interviewed at brought up how well I did on the DAT. PAT wont make or break your app! Best of luck!!

Reactions: 1 users
Jun 28, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Ya i agree with what was said above, especially about the PAT score. To give you a reference I scored a 21 AA/TS and 24 RC but had a 18 PAT and all schools that I interviewed at brought up how well I did on the DAT. PAT wont make or break your app! Best of luck!!
Thank you!

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.