Jun 27, 2020
Status
Pre-Dental
I'm a bit of an older candidate applying for this years application cycle (34, will be 35 when classes start, assuming I'm accepted).

I actually quit a career in banking last year to commit full-time to the prerequisite coursework, and completed 32 credit hours with a 4.0 GPA. I did some shadowing and volunteer work during this time, and feel that I gained good insight to a variety of procedures, as well as the overall "vibe" of being in a high-volume clinic. Admittedly, I did much better in the prerequisite courses than expected, and so decided to take the DAT. Longstanding interest in dentistry stems from preference for activity-based work with interest in science and medicine, as well as a true interest in the well-being of others.

Profile info summarized below:

Date of submission: Pending
Overall GPA: 3.9
Science GPA: 4.0
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 4.0. ** Biochemistry and physics remain to complete, but I plan to take those prior to enrollment, if accepted.
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 22 AA | Bio 22, GC 25, OC 21, RC 21, QR 21, PAT 17.
**I'm wary about the PAT 17 - did not manage my time well enough on this section. Is it worth re-taking the DAT?
State of Residence: Arizona

Undergrad Attended: Saint Vincent College C’08
Major: Accounting/Finance
Minor: Mathematics
Nontrad? Yes – career changer- formerly in commercial banking. MBA – Arizona State University C’18

Shadowing Experience: 50 hours – non-profit dental clinic serving lower income demographic.
Volunteering Experience: 50 hours – medical supply sorting, Habitat for Humanity.
Employment: 10+ years in corporate finance, commercial banking, and wealth management.
Research: N/A

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere: Experienced in fine woodworking and hand tools, construction, bilingual (Spanish).
School list: UNLV, Midwestern-AZ, Roseman (Utah).

Last edited:

artist2022

D3 :)
2+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2016
Status
Dental Student
I would repost following this template to get a better picture of who you are as an applicant: ► TEMPLATE: How to Format your WAMC Thread ◄
In regard to applying to Texas schools, unless you are a resident, there is no use applying - they rarely accept OOS (plus you have to live there for a year for non-educational reasons to become a resident, last I checked).

Reactions: Mr.Smile12
About the Ads
Jun 27, 2020
Status
Pre-Dental
I would repost following this template to get a better picture of who you are as an applicant: ► TEMPLATE: How to Format your WAMC Thread ◄
In regard to applying to Texas schools, unless you are a resident, there is no use applying - they rarely accept OOS (plus you have to live there for a year for non-educational reasons to become a resident, last I checked).
Thank you! Just getting the hang of this. Will repost shortly.

Reactions: artist2022
Jun 27, 2020
Status
Pre-Dental
4.0 sgpa with a 22AA?? Ya i think you be ok
I appreciate the confidence! My main concern is volunteer hours and the PAT score. I've heard mixed things about each school's preference for volunteer hours. Some explicitly state a minimum number of hours (100+). I simply couldn't fit 100+ hours in over the past year in light of the coursework and other shadowing.

S_Diamond_DDS

5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2015
Status
Dental Student
I appreciate the confidence! My main concern is volunteer hours and the PAT score. I've heard mixed things about each school's preference for volunteer hours. Some explicitly state a minimum number of hours (100+). I simply couldn't fit 100+ hours in over the past year in light of the coursework and other shadowing.
No you should be fine with that PAT score and volunteer hours, unless you’re applying to a program that places volunteering as one of it’s biggest criteria, such as the AT Stills (but most schools don’t).

MavsFanForLife

2+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2018
Status
Pre-Dental
Ya i agree with what was said above, especially about the PAT score. To give you a reference I scored a 21 AA/TS and 24 RC but had a 18 PAT and all schools that I interviewed at brought up how well I did on the DAT. PAT wont make or break your app! Best of luck!!

Jun 27, 2020
Status
Pre-Dental
Ya i agree with what was said above, especially about the PAT score. To give you a reference I scored a 21 AA/TS and 24 RC but had a 18 PAT and all schools that I interviewed at brought up how well I did on the DAT. PAT wont make or break your app! Best of luck!!
Thank you!

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2011
Status
Academic Administration
While the PAT score is disappointing, I would not retake the DAT unless explicitly told that the PAT is highly considered by schools you are applying to.

About the Ads