Chances of acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrTdogg

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've yet to take Ochem, but as of now, my cum gpa and science gpa are both about 3.5. I went to community college my first two years, but I am about to finish a BA at a state university. My desire is to pursue family medicine. Should I attempt the US route, i.e. MCAT, application process, or should I just go directly to AUC, St. George, etc.?

Members don't see this ad.

You should always make a try for the gold ring at least once before running abroad.

Your GPA is in the ballpark, but everything else (except the CC) is out of context.

Age? College? Major? State of residency?
Details of record: 3.5 headed down, headed up, see saw? MCAT? Have you consulted your premed advisor? Recommendations?

My academic record is really consistent and solid gradewise. My main concern was bias against me for beginning at community college. Recommendations are not a problem from professors. The only extracurricular I have is that I have been employed in a hospital for my entire college career. My job involves some patient contact, but more contact with docs, nurses, etc. I am only 21, but waiting years reapplying seems very unappealing to me. My thought was that since I was interested in becoming a PCP, why not go to a well established school in the carribean if I can begin right away. UW is my state med school (known for primary care). Would taking time for the MCAT, and application process be wise, or because of my PCP intentions should I just go foreign?
Should I beef up my extracurrics, or put my effort more into MCAT prep?

Members don't see this ad :)
Working at the hospital for years is excellent as far as experience is concerned. I would always recommend attempting to go into a US medical school first. When you apply you should apply to MD programs as well as DO programs. If you want you could also apply to foreign programs at the same time in case none of your US attempts pan out. If you want to study medicine abroad you should consider the UK or Australia. I know that several of their schools have places for international students. The quality of the education you recieve out there would be much better than going to the carribean.

Dr T. There is no negative message sent by you going to a Community College. Where in hell do people get such trash? At my CC, med schools sent our recruiter to select the top student to go directly to med, DDS and law school. Would had to have 90 units w all sciences. Stanford came and I got admitted, passed on that and went to UCLA. I don't know if this still can happen--med and other prof. schools. There are many studies to show the success rate of graduating with a BS if you went to a CC. Let go of that worry, and worry about something else. Kidding GL R

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Rik:
Dr T. There is no negative message sent by you going to a Community College. Where in hell do people get such trash? At my CC, med schools sent our recruiter to select the top student to go directly to med, DDS and law school. Would had to have 90 units w all sciences. Stanford came and I got admitted, passed on that and went to UCLA. I don't know if this still can happen--med and other prof. schools. There are many studies to show the success rate of graduating with a BS if you went to a CC. Let go of that worry, and worry about something else. Kidding GL R

Ya know, it's never a good idea to mix alcohol and cocaine. Passed on Stanford to go to UCLA? Stanford Med came to your community college to recruit you, huh? Any relation to silver_eyess? I guess we should all bypass the application process and just go to Community College so that a recruiter will come out and accept us on the spot. No, this can't still happen 'doctor'. That is something we 'humans' call a dream. Buy an alarm clock and wake-up!!!! It's time for your highschool P.E. class.
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

SEEK STUPID -- MEAT

Yeah, I doubt Stanford wanted to to recruit anyone right out of a community college, BUT...
With adequate MCATS, GPA, health care experience, and recommendations, many, many U.S. M.D. and D.O. schools will take you. I know a doc in the town where I live who did 2 years community college (where he took all of his premed prereq's), finished his B. A. at Cal State, Bum F**k, then went to UC Irvine med school, no problem. He told me lots of others do the same. Don't sweat the community college, it's accredited, right?

Good luck and God bless,
Toby

MEAT, that is some pretty funny s**t. I gotta laugh.
Original poster, don't worry about the CC.
You don't have to go international if you don't want to, just give the schools you want a try.

toran

Don't forget that off shore schools such as SGU and Ross require US students to take the mcat, and some of the others may as well. Check out the ones that you are interested in before thinking that you can avoid the big test-o. Why not apply to some US schools at the same time that you apply to the foreign schools and see what happens?