chances of anesthesia or IM

Mig

7+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2013
  1. Medical Student
    Yeah, another one of these threads. But I'm honestly pretty stressed about the situation.

DO student
    STEP 1: 217
    Comlex 1: 529
    Step 2 and Comlex 2 scheduled for end of July
    Comlex PE: scheduled for April
    Mostly Honors on Rotations, some HP, 1 Pass
    Shelves: mostly HP (IM, Surg, OB/gyn) and P (FM, Psych, Peds)

I honestly want to do Anesthesia, but I'm not sure if I'm competitive enough for it. I know my scores are looking more like the IM route but just wanted to see if anyone that scored similar to me is on their way to Anesthesia residency or got enough interviews to be comfortable. I'm willing to apply broadly. If I apply to >60 or so programs. Do you think there is a good chance of matching?

Should I stick to it and go or just forget it and go the IM route? Please let me know if more information would be helpful.

Thanks for your help and advice. I truly appreciate it.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySDN1488953954.046836.jpg
      ImageUploadedBySDN1488953954.046836.jpg
      45.9 KB · Views: 71
    • ImageUploadedBySDN1488953960.940177.jpg
      ImageUploadedBySDN1488953960.940177.jpg
      39 KB · Views: 57
    About the Ads

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
    10+ Year Member
  • Nov 10, 2009
    1. Resident [Any Field]

5+ Year Member
      Sep 18, 2013
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        Reactions: 1 user

5+ Year Member
        Sep 18, 2013
        1. Resident [Any Field]
          Yeah, another one of these threads. But I'm honestly pretty stressed about the situation.

DO student
          STEP 1: 217
          Comlex 1: 529
          Step 2 and Comlex 2 scheduled for end of July
          Comlex PE: scheduled for April
          Mostly Honors on Rotations, some HP, 1 Pass
          Shelves: mostly HP (IM, Surg, OB/gyn) and P (FM, Psych, Peds)

I honestly want to do Anesthesia, but I'm not sure if I'm competitive enough for it. I know my scores are looking more like the IM route but just wanted to see if anyone that scored similar to me is on their way to Anesthesia residency or got enough interviews to be comfortable. I'm willing to apply broadly. If I apply to >60 or so programs. Do you think there is a good chance of matching?

Should I stick to it and go or just forget it and go the IM route? Please let me know if more information would be helpful.

Thanks for your help and advice. I truly appreciate it.
          Maybe. If you net 8 interviews you have a 95% probability of matching. Hell, if you get 6 you still have a 90% chance.

I would 100% apply to gas if I were in your shoes, but I'm not you.

Attachments

• Charting-Outcomes-US-Osteopathic-2016.pdf
            1,004.8 KB · Views: 13

Brorthopedic

5+ Year Member
          Oct 7, 2015
          Doctor's Lounge
          1. Resident [Any Field]
            Do you not know how to interrupt data?

OP, you'll be fine for both specialties as far as matching goes. Especially if you're applying to that many programs.

Huh? Ok, I guess a level/step-1 score in range with the average matched seems to mean nothing.

And to answer your question, I prefer to let the data speak. Interrupting is quite rude...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited by a moderator:
            Reactions: 2 users

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
            10+ Year Member
          • Nov 10, 2009
            1. Resident [Any Field]
              I thought this document only covered people who had gotten interviews. As in, many could have applied with over 500 and gotten 0 interviews and would not be counted here.

I don't imagine a person getting 0 interviews in anesthesia unless they opted to apply to maybe 5 programs in a single city.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
              10+ Year Member
            • Nov 10, 2009
              1. Resident [Any Field]
                Huh? Ok, I guess a level/step-1 score in range with the average matched seems to mean nothing.

And to answer your question, I prefer to let the data speak. Interrupting is quite rude...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It probably means more to the quality and location of where you will be able to match, but not whether or not you'll match. Similarly to how someone with over a 500 will likely match into a random radiology program somewhere, but not a big well respected one in a city.

About the Ads
                This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                7. This thread is locked.