chances of being successful the second time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

josem

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an M1 who passed only half the courses. I failed both anatomy and Biochemistry by a couple percentage points in the first semester. I was asked to take a leave of absence and What are the chances of being successful the second time around if you have been asked to remediate an entire semster?

Members don't see this ad.

I am an M1 who passed only half the courses. I failed both anatomy and Biochemistry by a couple percentage points in the first semester. I was asked to take a leave of absence and What are the chances of being successful the second time around if you have been asked to remediate an entire semster?

I will PM you.

It depends on the reasons for the course failures and your determination to get past those issues.

Still, for US MD schools, chances are 96% that a matriculant would eventually graduate from an MD school and perhaps 87% for a DO school (as I recall), as schools are generally willing to provide a great deal of support to enable you to succeed.

Also, does your med school allow for a decompressed schedule, where you take a lower course load through the basic science years? Would you have to retake those classes that you passed?

Per AAMC
Graduation rates for medical students
have been stable in the recent past.
Between 80.6 percent and 82.2 percent
of each of the three cohorts in the study
graduated in four years. By the fifth year,
the overall graduation rate for the three
cohorts climbed to 91.3 percent, about
the same rate that Kassebaum and
Szenas (1994) calculated for the 1988
matriculating class (91.2 percent).

Within seven years, 94.2 percent had grad-
uated. A small number, including those in
combined and dual degree programs,
completed their M.D.s over longer
periods, resulting in a 10-year completion
rate of 96 percent for all three cohorts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I studied really hard, i spent most of my days studying. I understood the majority of the material and I was sooooo close to passing. However, I also had personal issues that really affected the way i studied (ie. inefieciency and ineffectiveness) and affected my focus. they don't allow decompressed schedule...and i have retake those classes that i passed

Status
Not open for further replies.