Chances of getting accepted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smileyfaceschoolkid

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a 3.2 Science GPA and a 3.4 overall. DAT 19, with 200+ shadowing, 100+ volunteering just outside of dentistry. Did research in organic chemistry. Do you guys think I have an actual chance of getting in..money is a huge factor for me and I don't want to waste my money like thin air if I don't actually have a chance and maybe wait a year and take more classes to raise my GPA then give it a shot. But I hear that it's easier to get in as a re-applicant. So I'm stuck. :/ PLEASE give me as much advice you guys can, it means a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

So I have a 3.2 Science GPA and a 3.4 overall. DAT 19, with 200+ shadowing, 100+ volunteering just outside of dentistry. Did research in organic chemistry. Do you guys think I have an actual chance of getting in..money is a huge factor for me and I don't want to waste my money like thin air if I don't actually have a chance and maybe wait a year and take more classes to raise my GPA then give it a shot. But I hear that it's easier to get in as a re-applicant. So I'm stuck. :/ PLEASE give me as much advice you guys can, it means a lot!
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...7-application-cycle-and-the-universe.1197114/

Reactions: 2 users
Whoever said it's easier to get in the 2nd time around must be mistaken. It's just as hard as the first time.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Whoever said it's easier to get in the 2nd time around must be mistaken. It's just as hard as the first time.
I didn't mean it's easier I just meant you have a little higher chance because it shows you are serious about dentistry. I do understand stats wise it's just as hard.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...7-application-cycle-and-the-universe.1197114/

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't mean it's easier I just meant you have a little higher chance because it shows you are serious about dentistry. I do understand stats wise it's just as hard.

so you think people who apply the first time with high stats (that they obviously put a lot of time + effort into) does not show serious commitment to dentistry.
heck, who is not serious but willing to take out 300k debt to commit.

I have 3.18 oGPA and a 3.08 sGPA. I graduated from UIC (University of Illinois at Chicago) with a BS in Biological Sciences. My grades have shown a strong uptrend in the past 4 semesters with each semester over a 3.7 in heavy science classes. I've taken almost all of the biology classes offered at my university with mostly As and a few Bs in them. Ive taken up to Biochemistry I a graduate level course. I have strong ECs such as 3 foreign internships one in Hungary and two in Jordan with a OMFS (Oral and Maxillofacial surgeon). I have over 500 hours+ at various clinics 100 or so with a cardiologist and 400+ at a few dental clinics. I have 8 months worth of Molecular biology research at my university with a paper. 5 strong letters of recommendations from doctors I've worked with and professors. My overall DAT score is a 22. Also i will be starting a masters program or post bac program this fall during my year off but my grades won't be included in the application as it would be submitted before I even start What are my chances of getting accepted? what schools offer the best chance of acceptance?

I think it gets harder and harder because each time you reapply, you have to show them what you've done over the last year. If you don't do anything that's remarkable, it will be just as rough as your previous cycle, if not worse.