Chances of getting in this cycle...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hhg22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am preparing to applying to most east coast schools in July of this year, and i was wondering what schools are reasonable for me to apply to. I took my OAT this past May and received:

Academic Average 380
Biology 380
General Chemistry 370
Organic Chemistry 400
Physics 370
Quantitative Reasoning 390
Reading Comprehension 340 (English is my second language)

GPA: 3.4
Extracurricular: Working as an Ophthalmic Technician (2+ yrs), research, volunteering at hospitals

I also had a question regarding tuition as well. If the schools offer in state tuition, have anyone converted from out of state to in-state after a year or so of residency as you're attending the school? If so, which schools?
I think my goal is to apply to Salus University since it's the nearest to where i live (I live in Virginia), but based on your own experience with visiting some other universities, what were your favorites?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Those are amazing scores! What did you use to study?

I think any school you apply to you will get an interview. As long as you interview well you will get into most any school. Pick your top schools and let them fight for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Those are amazing scores! What did you use to study?

I studied for about 3 months by using Chads videos (both chadsvideo and coursesaver), kaplan book (big blue one), OAT achiever and OAT destroyer. In my opinion, all OAT achiever did was decrease my morale and discourage me. I scored in 300 and below for total avg...so i wouldnt recommend OAT achiever. I do recommend ADA’s practice modules (each subject was like $20) bc it was the most similar to the actual. Not to brag but i overestimated the OAT and it was much easier than i expected (to the point i felt like i was taking the high school state exams...)

I would recommend chadsvideos and his quizzes 1000% and kaplan for bio!

Reactions: 1 user
Very impressive stats!!! With those scores I wouldn't be concerned about not getting into a program. Apply early is my strongest advice.
A lot of schools offer contract seats for applicants from states that don't have an optometry program and that will give you in-state tuition. I applied to SCO, UAB, and NOVA and got into all three. NOVA had the nicest campus but I felt more at home at UAB and chose there. With your scores you might even get a merit scholarship, which also gives you in-state tuition.