Chances of getting into a dental school (low sGPA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silverstorm77

Reaction score
Date of submission: 6/19/2019
Overall GPA: 3.5
Science GPA: 3.3
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: NA
DAT score (include AA and all sections):

PAT: 21
QA: 21
RC: 22
BIO: 18
GEN CHEM: 28
ORGO: 21
TS: 20
AA: 22
State of Residence: New Jersey

Undergrad Attended:
state school in New Jersey
Major: Biology
Minority?
Not really I am Pakistani
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Yes (1 gap year)

Shadowing Experience: about 100 hours. 2 different dental offices. I was able to see general dentistry, pediatrics, and orthodontics.
Volunteering Experience: Almost no volunteering hours, but since i have a year off i hope to change that. Not even for my resume, honestly because i have the time now to help out others.
Employment: Resident Adviser for apartment living at my school during my senior year. Also was the mascot for my college for 2 years.
Research: Did ecological research in school for 2 years and one summer I received a grant from the states environmental protection agency.
Other Extracurriculars: part of pre-dental club for 3 years, E-board for one year. part of Muslim Student Association for 4 years.
Relevant Honors or Awards: none
LOR type and strength:
1 philosophy prof (I ended up talking 4 philosophy classes during my undergrad and excelled in them all and enjoyed them so I thought maybe LOR from a philosophy professor might not be a bad idea) , 1 biology prof whom i did research with for 2 years and took about 4 classes with, and a dentist whom i shadowed for about 75 hours
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere: Common trend on here but freshman year i really dropped the ball and had a sub 3.0 GPA, which I spent the next 3 years of my life clawing my way back from. I really did pick it up after freshman year though, taking half credit classes, testing out of language requirement so that i could take harder classes, and then senior year i overloaded my spring semester so that i could take 5 classes. Currently I am taking Biochemistry over the summer just so that i can apply to some of these school. Also is 20 schools overkill for me, or is that a healthy amount, but mainly i would like to know what my chances at getting into an east coast school would be. Thanks in advance!
School list:
RUTGERS, THE STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW JERSEY SCHOOL OF DENTAL MEDICINE (RSDM)
UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT SCHOOL OF DENTAL MEDICINE (CONN)
THE MAURICE H. KORNBERG SCHOOL OF DENTISTRY TEMPLE UNIVERSITY (TEMP)
UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA SCHOOL OF DENTAL MEDICINE (PENN)
UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND SCHOOL OF DENTISTRY (MYD)
UNIVERSITY AT BUFFALO SCHOOL OF DENTAL MEDICINE (BUF)
TOURO COLLEGE OF DENTAL MEDICINE AT NEW YORK MEDICAL COLLEGE (TCDM)
NEW YORK UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF DENTISTRY (NYU)
UNIVERSITY OF NEW ENGLAND COLLEGE OF DENTAL MEDICINE (UNE)
TUFTS UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF DENTAL MEDICINE (TUF)
BOSTON UNIVERSITY HENRY M. GOLDMAN SCHOOL OF DENTAL MEDICINE (BU)
EAST CAROLINA UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF DENTAL MEDICINE (ECU)
MIDWESTERN UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF DENTAL MEDICINE-ILLINOIS (MWU-IL)
WEST VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF DENTISTRY (WVA)
UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON SCHOOL OF DENTISTRY (WASH)
UNIVERSITY OF THE PACIFIC ARTHUR A. DUGONI SCHOOL OF DENTISTRY (UOP)
A.T. STILL UNIVERSITY'S ARIZONA SCHOOL OF DENTISTRY & ORAL HEALTH
UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO SCHOOL OF DENTAL MEDICINE (COL)
LAKE ERIE COLLEGE OF OSTEOPATHIC MEDICINE SCHOOL OF DENTAL MEDICINE (LECOM-FL)
UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE HEALTH SCIENCE CENTER COLLEGE OF DENTISTRY (UTHSC)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
WVU is also very OOS unfriendly, so I would remove WVU and Tennessee.
With that said, you have a chance at getting into a dental school, as others have gotten in with similar stats. You definitely need volunteering and more shadowing though to be more competitive and have a better chance. In my opinion 20 schools is too many, if you can't get into 15, you won't get into 20. But if you have the money to apply to 20 schools, by all means go for it

One question I have is do you only have one science professor letter? You need two for most schools as a requirement (such as Boston U), and philosophy isn't a science.

Members don't see this ad :)
Date of submission: 6/19/2019
Overall GPA: 3.5
Science GPA: 3.3
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: NA
DAT score (include AA and all sections):

PAT: 21
QA: 21
RC: 22
BIO: 18
GEN CHEM: 28
ORGO: 21
TS: 20
AA: 22
State of Residence: New Jersey

Undergrad Attended:
state school in New Jersey
Major: Biology
Minority?
Not really I am Pakistani
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Yes (1 gap year)

Shadowing Experience: about 100 hours. 2 different dental offices. I was able to see general dentistry, pediatrics, and orthodontics.
Volunteering Experience: Almost no volunteering hours, but since i have a year off i hope to change that. Not even for my resume, honestly because i have the time now to help out others.
Employment: Resident Adviser for apartment living at my school during my senior year. Also was the mascot for my college for 2 years.
Research: Did ecological research in school for 2 years and one summer I received a grant from the states environmental protection agency.
Other Extracurriculars: part of pre-dental club for 3 years, E-board for one year. part of Muslim Student Association for 4 years.
Relevant Honors or Awards: none
LOR type and strength:
1 philosophy prof (I ended up talking 4 philosophy classes during my undergrad and excelled in them all and enjoyed them so I thought maybe LOR from a philosophy professor might not be a bad idea) , 1 biology prof whom i did research with for 2 years and took about 4 classes with, and a dentist whom i shadowed for about 75 hours
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere: Common trend on here but freshman year i really dropped the ball and had a sub 3.0 GPA, which I spent the next 3 years of my life clawing my way back from. I really did pick it up after freshman year though, taking half credit classes, testing out of language requirement so that i could take harder classes, and then senior year i overloaded my spring semester so that i could take 5 classes. Currently I am taking Biochemistry over the summer just so that i can apply to some of these school. Also is 20 schools overkill for me, or is that a healthy amount, but mainly i would like to know what my chances at getting into an east coast school would be. Thanks in advance!
School list:
RUTGERS, THE STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW JERSEY SCHOOL OF DENTAL MEDICINE (RSDM)
UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT SCHOOL OF DENTAL MEDICINE (CONN)
THE MAURICE H. KORNBERG SCHOOL OF DENTISTRY TEMPLE UNIVERSITY (TEMP)
UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA SCHOOL OF DENTAL MEDICINE (PENN)
UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND SCHOOL OF DENTISTRY (MYD)
UNIVERSITY AT BUFFALO SCHOOL OF DENTAL MEDICINE (BUF)
TOURO COLLEGE OF DENTAL MEDICINE AT NEW YORK MEDICAL COLLEGE (TCDM)
NEW YORK UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF DENTISTRY (NYU)
UNIVERSITY OF NEW ENGLAND COLLEGE OF DENTAL MEDICINE (UNE)
TUFTS UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF DENTAL MEDICINE (TUF)
BOSTON UNIVERSITY HENRY M. GOLDMAN SCHOOL OF DENTAL MEDICINE (BU)
EAST CAROLINA UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF DENTAL MEDICINE (ECU)
MIDWESTERN UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF DENTAL MEDICINE-ILLINOIS (MWU-IL)
WEST VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF DENTISTRY (WVA)
UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON SCHOOL OF DENTISTRY (WASH)
UNIVERSITY OF THE PACIFIC ARTHUR A. DUGONI SCHOOL OF DENTISTRY (UOP)
A.T. STILL UNIVERSITY'S ARIZONA SCHOOL OF DENTISTRY & ORAL HEALTH
UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO SCHOOL OF DENTAL MEDICINE (COL)
LAKE ERIE COLLEGE OF OSTEOPATHIC MEDICINE SCHOOL OF DENTAL MEDICINE (LECOM-FL)
UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE HEALTH SCIENCE CENTER COLLEGE OF DENTISTRY (UTHSC)

East Carolina University only accepts in state residents. Out of state residents are not admitted. Look into that.

Washington University prefers in-state students (10 out of 63 are OOS). Great job on the DAT!