Chances of getting into a Pharm School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

burnerusage

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances? I've only been to community college so I have no bachelors. I only have a couple of associate degrees. My GPA is 3.3 and my PCAT composite is 94 with 99 in bio and 99 in chem. I'm PTCB certified and I have a pharm tech license but I haven't been able to find a job in the pharmacy setting. Is getting into a pharm school totally out of the question for me?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
why do you say that? If I may ask.

Because people with potentially weaker stats have already gotten into pharmacy school. Check this forum.

The OP has the GPA and PCAT. They just need to nail the interview.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Because people with potentially weaker stats have already gotten into pharmacy school. Check this forum.

The OP has the GPA and PCAT. They just need to nail the interview.

wouldn't the lack of pharmacy experience and bachelors dramatically lower their chances?

wouldn't the lack of pharmacy experience and bachelors dramatically lower their chances?
People with low Pcat scores who barely pass undergrad (ie 2.5 Gpas) are getting into pharm school. We arent joking when we say that anyone gets in as long as they sign for the loans. Literally anyone.

Reactions: 1 users

You're right... despite his/her GPA and PCAT score, the lack of pharmacy experience probably lowers their chances to 99.9% or 99.8% - hardly a slam dunk. And there's still the dreaded interview to get through!!

You're right... despite his/her GPA and PCAT score, the lack of pharmacy experience probably lowers their chances to 99.9% or 99.8% - hardly a slam dunk. And there's still the dreaded interview to get through!!
Does a 90s PCAT weigh that heavily? I know my gpa is mediocre but 99.8? lmao

Does a 90s PCAT weigh that heavily? I know my gpa is mediocre but 99.8? lmao

Yes, it's very impressive. Almost double the composite score of people of some people getting acceptances these days (not exaggerating). I know you signed up yesterday, but have you actually read through the threads yet?

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, it's very impressive. Almost double the composite score of people of some people getting acceptances these days (not exaggerating). I know you signed up yesterday, but have you actually read through the threads yet?
I've only read threads that talk about the over saturation. If people are getting in with half my composite then I should be worried. I mean I only studied for 3 weeks. The test isn't that hard.

I've only read threads that talk about the over saturation. If people are getting in with half my composite then I should be worried. I mean I only studied for 3 weeks. The test isn't that hard.

I had plenty of classmates with low PCAT scores that turned into fine pharmacists, and I had classmates with scores like yours that turned into terrible ones. It's just a test.

I'm in a pharmacy school ranked in the upper 3rd, and my classmate has a 40 PCAT and a <3.0 GPA, and he's a white male... Schools nowadays let anyone in. You're guaranteed an acceptance, I bet you could skip the interview and still get an acceptance lol....

Members don't see this ad :)
You're fine. My only question is how can somebody not manage to land a tech job? It's as easy as getting hired at McDonalds

You're fine. My only question is how can somebody not manage to land a tech job? It's as easy as getting hired at McDonalds

Sounds like your local McDonald's declined your job offer and got hired as a tech at Kmart delivering RX's to all the old homes in FL. ;) Just messing! Sounds like the OP is not looking/trying hard enough to find a tech job. There are intangibles in applying for any job, follow up, go into the pharmacy you applied to and ask to shadow, etc. OP, there are ways to stand out among other applicants, you just have not done them.

It's actually not as easy anymore -- where I'm from, retail requires at least 1 year experience, hospital requires at least 2 years and an IV certification to even be considered.

It's actually not as easy anymore -- where I'm from, retail requires at least 1 year experience, hospital requires at least 2 years and an IV certification to even be considered.

So, where you're from how does one get 1 year of experience, if 1 year of experience is required? Makes no sense to me. Do you mean it is preferred that a tech has 1 year experience? That makes more sense.

So, where you're from how does one get 1 year of experience, if 1 year of experience is required? Makes no sense to me. Do you mean it is preferred that a tech has 1 year experience? That makes more sense.

Exactly. People could be coming from other states, people could be gaining initial experience from isolated rural towns and then working their way to the more populated towns/cities of my state, or, you just happen to know people to get those requirements waived. Pretty ridiculous.

While I agree that one should be required to work in a pharmacy before attending pharmacy school....but nobody cares, you don't care, schools don't care. Hell, I know plenty of people at my school who never even stepped foot inside a pharmacy prior to IPPEs. Like what? How did you know that pharmacy was for you then? Did you read about it online? <--- exactly what they did followed by the $$$/year.

Maybe it's different in states that require certification? I literally walked into the first pharmacy that I saw, talked to the pharmacy manager for 5-10 minutes and she told me to call her once I submitted an application online. I called her and she gave me my schedule, didn't even interview me lol.

Hospital jobs are a lot more picky and require experience, but they also pay more. At least for techs, for pharmacists they are still picky but pay less.

Maybe it's different in states that require certification? I literally walked into the first pharmacy that I saw, talked to the pharmacy manager for 5-10 minutes and she told me to call her once I submitted an application online. I called her and she gave me my schedule, didn't even interview me lol.

Hospital jobs are a lot more picky and require experience, but they also pay more. At least for techs, for pharmacists they are still picky but pay less.

I do believe it varies by state as you mentioned, but I do not live in East or West coast haha.

Remember that GPA and PCAT is only one selection criteria of the admissions. Process. They will also do a over view of your course also in addition to LORS and experience in health field. You can't just get in with a good GPA and PCAT nowdays. If it was that simple it be soo hard to find the right people for the right profession. It also depends on the school you are applying to also. Stats goes by....private schools will take you in easy as eating cheese but you pay a heafty tuition like 35k-40k a year and if you are non resident it be more. State public schools are much cheaper from 18k-27k but much much more competitive to get in. Getting into pharm school yes you will get into one if all that is what matters. Cheers.

Remember that GPA and PCAT is only one selection criteria of the admissions. Process. They will also do a over view of your course also in addition to LORS and experience in health field. You can't just get in with a good GPA and PCAT nowdays.
Yeah you never know. People with low GPG worry about how to raise it. Ones with high GPA worry about other things.
In one of my science class professor told us a story, how student denied bc of LOR. Usually when you denied the admission office can tell what to improve. So they told him to work on LOR. After some investigation student found out that one professor wrote a horrible letter when he said "I don't recommend him". Student said that he would never expect it from that particular professor.
So a lot of things count.

It is a bit late in the application period to apply for schools. May I ask are you planning on applying for the 2017-2018 period opening in July? I know plenty of students who did not finish a bachelor degree and got in; a few students that went during my interview sessions this year also got in with the same background as you.

Your GPA and PCAT scores are pretty good; depending on the school and time that you apply you can probably get into one of the schools you want. I would go over PharmCAS school directory and see the minimum requirements. Make sure you go over the specific school requirements and if you meet them. Most schools will only allow you one or two courses in progress the semester before admission if they do offer you a spot.

Since you are licensed as a pharm tech and cannot find a job, I would start asking local community pharmacies to volunteer or shadow. Maybe they will like you and hire you on. I know I got in that way as I volunteered at a local pharmacy for 5-8 hours a week in the summer and when I told the techs there I was getting my license they gave me study materials. I wasn't hired at that place but the pharmacist referred me to another clinic which needed more people.

I noticed that you stated you have a few associate degrees. Why didn't you pursue a bachelors? I know most community colleges these days have programs that guarantee you admission to a 4 year institution of your choice if you follow their transfer requirements. That could be your back up plan if you don't want to pursue a career in pharmacy.

It is a bit late in the application period to apply for schools. May I ask are you planning on applying for the 2017-2018 period opening in July? I know plenty of students who did not finish a bachelor degree and got in; a few students that went during my interview sessions this year also got in with the same background as you.

Your GPA and PCAT scores are pretty good; depending on the school and time that you apply you can probably get into one of the schools you want. I would go over PharmCAS school directory and see the minimum requirements. Make sure you go over the specific school requirements and if you meet them. Most schools will only allow you one or two courses in progress the semester before admission if they do offer you a spot.

Since you are licensed as a pharm tech and cannot find a job, I would start asking local community pharmacies to volunteer or shadow. Maybe they will like you and hire you on. I know I got in that way as I volunteered at a local pharmacy for 5-8 hours a week in the summer and when I told the techs there I was getting my license they gave me study materials. I wasn't hired at that place but the pharmacist referred me to another clinic which needed more people.

I noticed that you stated you have a few associate degrees. Why didn't you pursue a bachelors? I know most community colleges these days have programs that guarantee you admission to a 4 year institution of your choice if you follow their transfer requirements. That could be your back up plan if you don't want to pursue a career in pharmacy.
I submitted my application February 18th. I got interview invitations from Marshall University, Western New England, Lipscomb, Concorida, East Tennesse State, and Marshall B Ketchum so far. I haven't got any rejections yet. I'm hoping for Midwestern in Arizona or Pacific Oregon because its close to california(where I live).

I got extremely lucky during job my hunting. The cvs regional manager around my area was at my sisters best friends wedding this past weekend. Very nice lady. She said that she can easily find me a job as a pharm tech and a pharmacist(after pharm school).

I didn't pursue a bachelors because I've already spent 4 years at CC. Another 2 years for undergrad would be a waste of time and money for me. Pharmacy interested me the most out of all the healthfields and was the most reasonable given my situation.

I submitted my application February 18th. I got interview invitations from Marshall University, Western New England, Lipscomb, Concorida, East Tennesse State, and Marshall B Ketchum so far. I haven't got any rejections yet. I'm hoping for Midwestern in Arizona or Pacific Oregon because its close to california(where I live).

I got extremely lucky during job my hunting. The cvs regional manager around my area was at my sisters best friends wedding this past weekend. Very nice lady. She said that she can easily find me a job as a pharm tech and a pharmacist(after pharm school).

I didn't pursue a bachelors because I've already spent 4 years at CC. Another 2 years for undergrad would be a waste of time and money for me. Pharmacy interested me the most out of all the healthfields and was the most reasonable given my situation.

That's good to hear. I understand that wasting another 2 years for an undergrad degree would not be an option but I would consider it as a fall back in case no schools offer admission this year.

Anyways good luck on your upcoming interviews. Research the schools and see if it's a good fit for you. See what the curriculum is like during the 3 or 4 years.

Some questions to ask during the interviews that I myself asked the students were what the appe/ippe requirements, if you need to arrange extra living/travel expenses for it. Good places to eat, play, explore in the area if you are foreign.

Hey, just want to chime in. I notice most of the schools in your list (accepted) are in the lower tiers (newer schools), nothing against them, but honestly, I think you will get accepted to top schools too if you applied, because your stats are pretty good, you have a pretty high chance to get in. I was like you and applied really broadly, some bottom, some mid and some top tiers. But now I felt like I wasted time and money interviewing too many lower tier schools because I was scared not getting accepted and my chance was low. But it wasn't like that at all. With my lower stats, I was still able to get accepted to several schools in the top 20s! I wish I had applied to more higher tier schools so I have more choices. So did you apply to any high tier schools? The deadline is approaching soon!

Hey, just want to chime in. I notice most of the schools in your list (accepted) are in the lower tiers (newer schools), nothing against them, but honestly, I think you will get accepted to top schools too if you applied, because your stats are pretty good, you have a pretty high chance to get in. I was like you and applied really broadly, some bottom, some mid and some top tiers. But now I felt like I wasted time and money interviewing too many lower tier schools because I was scared not getting accepted and my chance was low. But it wasn't like that at all. With my lower stats, I was still able to get accepted to several schools in the top 20s! I wish I had applied to more higher tier schools so I have more choices. So did you apply to any high tier schools? The deadline is approaching soon!
Which schools are considered top tier?? I'm from LA and the top schools in Cali expired.
The remaining schools(chapman, keck, marshall b, etc etc) in Cali are shyt but I applied anyways.

Midwestern University- Glendale AZ 03/01/2017 02/18/2017
West Coast University CA 03/01/2017 02/18/2017
California Health Sciences University CA 03/01/2017 02/18/2017
Keck Graduate Institute CA 03/01/2017 02/18/2017
Chapman University CA 03/01/2017 02/18/2017
Marshall B. Ketchum University CA 03/01/2017 02/18/2017
Hawaii, University of at Hilo HI 03/01/2017 02/18/2017
Midwestern University-Chicago IL 03/01/2017 02/18/2017
Western New England University MA 03/01/2017 02/18/2017
Wingate University NC 03/01/2017 02/18/2017
Pacific University Oregon OR 03/01/2017 02/18/2017
LECOM Erie School of Pharmacy PA 03/01/2017 02/18/2017
East Tennessee State University TN 03/01/2017 02/18/2017
Lipscomb University TN 03/01/2017 02/18/2017
Concordia University WI 03/01/2017 02/18/2017
Marshall University

These are the schools I applied to so far

Wow
Which schools are considered top tier?? I'm from LA and the top schools in Cali expired.
The remaining schools(chapman, keck, marshall b, etc etc) in Cali are shyt but I applied anyways.

Midwestern University- Glendale AZ 03/01/2017 02/18/2017
West Coast University CA 03/01/2017 02/18/2017
California Health Sciences University CA 03/01/2017 02/18/2017
Keck Graduate Institute CA 03/01/2017 02/18/2017
Chapman University CA 03/01/2017 02/18/2017
Marshall B. Ketchum University CA 03/01/2017 02/18/2017
Hawaii, University of at Hilo HI 03/01/2017 02/18/2017
Midwestern University-Chicago IL 03/01/2017 02/18/2017
Western New England University MA 03/01/2017 02/18/2017
Wingate University NC 03/01/2017 02/18/2017
Pacific University Oregon OR 03/01/2017 02/18/2017
LECOM Erie School of Pharmacy PA 03/01/2017 02/18/2017
East Tennessee State University TN 03/01/2017 02/18/2017
Lipscomb University TN 03/01/2017 02/18/2017
Concordia University WI 03/01/2017 02/18/2017
Marshall University

These are the schools I applied to so far

Hmmm, you could've go much higher in my opinion, your stats are good. A lot of these are newer schools, I did get accepted to ETSU, I think it's a neat little school, idk about Midwestern because I didn't apply there. Pacific OR is okay my siblings are going there, but careful they have a lot of group works in that school and the program is pretty heavy. Some of these schools are not accredited (CHSU, Chapman, Marshall Ketchum...). Why did you apply to so many new schools?

Wow

Hmmm, you could've go much higher in my opinion, your stats are good. A lot of these are newer schools, I did get accepted to ETSU, I think it's a neat little school, idk about Midwestern because I didn't apply there. Pacific OR is okay my siblings are going there, but careful they have a lot of group works in that school and the program is pretty heavy. Some of these schools are not accredited (CHSU, Chapman, Marshall Ketchum...). Why did you apply to so many new schools?
I didn't think my application was very competative ahah

I think Midwestern AZ is a pretty good school. Idk if the deadline has passed but how about U of Colorado, U Mich, U of Maryland, U of Minnesota, ect? Lots of Californians in those

I didn't think so with my stats either but I got to every school I interviewed too. And yours are better than mine. You have a high chance. But why are you applying so late there's only a few days left till the deadline. In your list, I think Midwestern are good, ETSU is decent and much cheaper than the CA schools. Oregon Pacific is 3 years so it sounds ok. Those are my high candidates from your list.

Wow

Hmmm, you could've go much higher in my opinion, your stats are good. A lot of these are newer schools,
Sounds like students who are in "top schools" are better than others...

That's not what I mean. I haven't started school yet so just concluded from my research. It's all up to you as a person but there is still some differences between a top 10 and bottom 10 imo, mainly because lots of the latter ones are new schools and haven't established their reputation yet. That being said, I chose a mid tier school though, I think it's really up to where the person feels fit. Some of the new schools aren't accredited yet though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using SDN mobile

Having been to an interview whenever I was applying around 3-4 years ago, a student asked,"Why are you guys ranked so low on the list of pharmacy schools?"

From this point, the Dean stated that the ranking is based upon the amount of money which is funneled into their research. The more money the school has to fund their research, the higher the ranking. Everyone graduates with a PharmD. it's what you do with it that matters.

Also, not everyone get's accepted now a days, regardless of the high amount of pharmacy students graduating. Those who come in with a 2.5 GPA are receiving rejections or are waitlisted in the process. What makes you think people with a 2.5 GPA can handle pharmacy school?

Additionally, having spoken with a member who served on the committee previously, I can attest to this. Admission standards definitely haven't hit that low of a point.

Having been to an interview whenever I was applying around 3-4 years ago, a student asked,"Why are you guys ranked so low on the list of pharmacy schools?"

From this point, the Dean stated that the ranking is based upon the amount of money which is funneled into their research. The more money the school has to fund their research, the higher the ranking. Everyone graduates with a PharmD. it's what you do with it that matters.

Also, not everyone get's accepted now a days, regardless of the high amount of pharmacy students graduating. Those who come in with a 2.5 GPA are receiving rejections or are waitlisted in the process. What makes you think people with a 2.5 GPA can handle pharmacy school?

Additionally, having spoken with a member who served on the committee previously, I can attest to this. Admission standards definitely haven't hit that low of a point.
The new NAPLEX pass rates certainly don't reflect what you are saying. Everyone is getting in, there are people with PCATs in the 30's getting in when 5 years ago they had no shot.

I assume you're replying to me. OP's GPA and pcat scores are pretty good. And I have seen ppl with much lower stats get into pharm schools so... Idk. From what I read on SDN it seems like the quality of the incoming class get lower every year, and even now some of the top 50 schools still sending out emails urging ppl to apply to them. Yeah... so I think it say something about this profession nowadays. You can get in, but can you make it to the end and get a job after graduation? That remains to be seen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using SDN mobile

Why do I need a research in pharmacy? I need to study.

The new NAPLEX pass rates certainly don't reflect what you are saying. Everyone is getting in, there are people with PCATs in the 30's getting in when 5 years ago they had no shot.

Those with PCAT scores in the 30's typically make up for it with a higher GPA. Some people just aren't good at standardized tests. NAPLEX pass rates are based upon how the student studies and also how the school prepares them. There's numerous factors which should be taken into account for why a student hasn't succeeded in passing the NAPLEX. Basing everything upon the NAPLEX pass rate is absurd without actually LOOKING at the statistics presented which I've checked myself. Most students are between a minimum 2.75-4.0, 2.5 and below on the other hand aren't even looked at as competitive.

Some factors to take into consideration for the NAPLEX:
What is the student most weak in (which portion of the exam) which lead to their low score?
How did the student prepare and for how long?
Was the school's curriculum adequate enough to foster their education?

Anyways, to Jssgarden, I was speaking to the general thread. Nothing against you.

Last edited:
Which schools are considered top tier?? I'm from LA and the top

Well, there are different ways to qualityf what is "top tier." But generally speaking IMO, in order to keep the broadest amount of options open for you for future jobs and/or residencies, an older, established school is better than a newer school.

Pharmacy school is not competitive today (certain pharmacy schools are still very competitive, but getting into any pharmacy school is almost a given if someone meets the minimal pre-qualifications.) Your PCAT & GPA are *very* good.

Well, there are different ways to qualityf what is "top tier." But generally speaking IMO, in order to keep the broadest amount of options open for you for future jobs and/or residencies, an older, established school is better than a newer school.

Pharmacy school is not competitive today (certain pharmacy schools are still very competitive, but getting into any pharmacy school is almost a given if someone meets the minimal pre-qualifications.) Your PCAT & GPA are *very* good.
Thanks for the response. I'm actually missing biochemistry which is a prereq for the top tier colleges :( My CC didn't offer that class :shifty:
What do you think about Midwestern in AZ or IL? I'm also thinking about East Tennessee State.

Yeah you never know. People with low GPG worry about how to raise it. Ones with high GPA worry about other things.
In one of my science class professor told us a story, how student denied bc of LOR. Usually when you denied the admission office can tell what to improve. So they told him to work on LOR. After some investigation student found out that one professor wrote a horrible letter when he said "I don't recommend him". Student said that he would never expect it from that particular professor.
So a lot of things count.
I agree. I am particularly picky on LOR. Infact all of my LOR are people who asked me if they can write me one.