Chances of getting into a Texas MD program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

doctormeplease

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,

I am a fourth year undergraduate and I can't decide if I should apply this cycle or wait a year and do a postbac to improve my GPA. I am a Biology major at Duke, but due to some unforeseen medical emergencies my sophomore year, I have a cGPA of 3.4 and a sGPA of 3.1, I am on pace to make the Dean's list with Distinction both semesters this year and finish with ~3.5, ~3.25. The low sGPA is due to failing Orgo II because of the medical emergencies, but I retook it the next semester for a B+. It is worth mentioning that there is an upward trend in both GPAs that will be strengthened this year. I have heard that grade deflation is taken into account for some undergraduate institutions, but I am not sure about my case. I have pretty much written off the top tier MD programs, but I would like to know what my chances are for mid-tier Texas schools (I am a Texas resident). I have yet to take the MCAT, but I am confident I will do well (took practice tests and scoring 513-516 without studying).

Other facts:
3 years of research with two publications (clinical psychology, neurooncology)
200 hours of shadowing with 4 MDs in Texas
~50 clinical volunteer hours
~100 community volunteer hours (I am the service chair of the club)
Two summers of work experience at a health care system in Dallas
One summer of global health research in Sub-Saharan Africa

Thanks so much for your help!
 
Last edited:
If you finish with a GPA of 3.5 and a MCAT above 512 you could receive interviews at some Texas MD schools. If you increase your GPA to 3.6 with a postbac it would increase your chances. See how you score on the MCAT first before deciding on the postbac since if you score very well on the MCAT (517+) you may not need the postbac. Post your MCAT score here when available.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is your primary residence Texas? Clinical volunteering seems a bit low, but with a 515+ MCAT I believe you have a chance somewhere in Texas.
 
Oh okay, then I believe with a 515+ and more clinical volunteering hours you can get in somewhere in Texas. Apply broadly to MD and DO schools.