Chances of getting into an MD school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grandpajames

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here are my stats below,

MCAT (1st attempt) - 24P
MCAT (2nd attempt) - 31Q, PS:11, VR:11, BS:9

Undergraduate cGPA: 3.38 (with upward trend)
Undergraduate sGPA: 3.30 (not including advanced bio courses taken during grad school)

Graduate cGPA: 3.7 (M.A. in bioethics)

Certified EMT volunteering at a local ambulance corps (100+ hours)
Working full-time as a research assistant at the NY Psychiatric Institute (previously a TA for intro to neurology, organic chem lab, and intro to psychology courses)
NY State resident

Members don't see this ad.

Your second mcat is ok but gpa is weak. Do you have extensive community service, other EC activities to help? If not, then its very ify. Try to boost those as much as possible before you apply. Apply to as many schools as you can afford looking at schools with similar stats. Consider DO schools as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, the volunteer ambulance corps specifically services a pretty low-income neighborhood in NY and I've been working with them for a year now.

As for EC's, I've been the president of NYU MEDLIFE my junior and senior years as an undergrad. Generally, it's an organization that sends medical brigades to l Latin America roughly three times a year, working with local doctors to diagnose and treat rural communities.

I think you have a chance but again apply widely to schools in your range.

What was your purpose in pursuing the MA in Bioethics? What kind of courses did it include?

Asking because your lower GPA necessitates that you prove your academic ability in advanced science courses.

What was your GPA for the last three semesters of college? How many hours of science classes have you taken in grad school, what were they, and what grades did you earn?

Any local nonmedical community service?
Any physician shadowing?
Any experience in a US clinical environment?

What was your GPA for the last three semesters of college? How many hours of science classes have you taken in grad school, what were they, and what grades did you earn?

Any local nonmedical community service?
Any physician shadowing?
Any experience in a US clinical environment?

GPA for last three semester as an undergrad are 3.56, 3.44, and 3.73 respectively

In grad school I took two advanced bio courses: toxicology and neuronal plasticity (both 4 credit courses and received A's in both)

I have shadowed US physicians while working for MEDLIFE and at my current job at the psychiatric institute (the latter is also a large hospital attached to Columbia-Presbyterian so I get to attend grad rounds, speak with psychiatrists, and all my principles investigators are M.D.'s or M.D. PhD's)

As for clinical experience, I see a lot of the emergency room working as an EMT. I've even been able to see emergency doctors redo trauma assessments on patients we bring in. At the psych institute, I'm part of the substance abuse lab, so I get a lot of patient interaction (mostly cocaine, heroin and nicotine users).

In terms of nonmedical community service, I volunteer at a local bike repair shop every summer (cycling is one of my biggest hobbies) where kids and parents bring in old bikes and all the mechanics repair them free of charge using parts donated form the community.

I'm sure you are well aware that you'd be a strong contender for a DO school acceptance. For MD, however, I would have wished to see a stronger recent showing than one semester of undergrad 3.7 + 8 hours of grad science. (Very nice job getting the MCAT up, BTW.)

After finishing the masters, how would you feel about doing an additional full-time year of postbac science to raise your BCPM, or an SMP, to bump up your chances?

As far as your ECs, I'm satisfied that they are satisfactory, provided you explain them completely.

I'm sure you are well aware that you'd be a strong contender for a DO school acceptance. For MD, however, I would have wished to see a stronger recent showing than one semester of undergrad 3.7 + 8 hours of grad science. (Very nice job getting the MCAT up, BTW.)

After finishing the masters, how would you feel about doing an additional full-time year of postbac science to raise your BCPM, or an SMP, to bump up your chances?

I'm aware that as a non-traditional student, there's a couple of things working against my favor (the undergraduate GPA being one), but after taking 2 years off to finish my master's, talking with the physicians (both D.O and M.D.) I work with, my heart is set on an M.D.

I have thought about an SMP/post-bacc programs but that's more money out of my pocket which, unfortunately, I don't think I can afford. I'm also not entirely convinced doing well in those programs will greatly increase my chances of getting into an allopathic school. One of my closest friends is in a similar situation as I am. Non-traditional, with higher undergrad GPA, roughly the same MCAT (30Q), with EMT and clinical research experience, taking an SMP program at Mt. Sinai has only managed to get into D.O. schools.

I'm being realistic about where I get in (I'm not shooting for top teir schools like NYU, Cornell, Columbia, etc.). Perhaps the SUNYs, Hofstra, NYMC, maybe even GW or Georgetown. Are those still out of my reach?

Thanks again for all the help everyone.

A postbac need not have a formal affiliation to be effective. You could start a do-it-yourselfer by enrolling at a cheap state school. No guarantees come with doing it this way, of course (or any way). But you would have an opportunity to demonstrate consistent capability in producing great grades in upper-level Bio.

If you had a job at a university, you might be able to take such coursework for free.

My opinion is that your chances are low as you are, but I am only one voice. Consider meeting with, or making a phone appointment to speak to some admissions office staff to discuss your record and ask what it would take to be compeitive for their institution. The SUNYs, Stoney Brook, Albany, Buffalo, Hofstra, and NYMC come to mind as good options.